Multiple rifles in the same caliber - what's the point?

Beezer

I have 2 Remington 30-06's. One is a 700 bolt action and the other is a 742 Woodsmaster semi-automatic.

I inherited both these guns from my grandfather. I'm fairly new to gun ownership and shooting. Is there a good reason for keeping 2 guns of the same caliber? Sure, one is a semi automatic, but are they different enough or have enough different applications to keep both?

I ask because I am considering selling the semi-automatic to outfit the bolt-action rifle. The bolt-action will be used mostly for target shooting and hunting. I can't think of what I'd use the semi-auto for that would be different from the bolt-action.

If you don't have a need for the semi auto, then sell it. However, most gun owners will tell you they regret selling about 90% of the firearms they let go.

As for having multiple guns in the same caliber? It's a personal preference for some. Less boxes of ammo you need to keep around to do multiple jobs.

Because 2 is 1 and 1 is none if Murphy comes callin' .......

It'd be better if they were of the same make and model, but if 1 fails, you'd still have another to shoot your -06 ammo .....

Although the calibers match, the rifles are very different. I think I would keep both of them unless money is very tight. They were your grandfather's which may or not be important to you now but it might be more important later on. It should not be that expensive to outfit a 700 to an adequate target or hunting rifle. Semi-auto's are a lot of fun, even the Woodsmaster.

sometimes multiple rifles in the same caliber can be a difference of application or mood. I have a 1903 springfield, M1 garand and ruger M77 MKII in 3006. the 1903 is rarely fired and when done so only fires light loads, the M1 usually is for competition shooting and the M77 is for hunting and whatever else I feel like doing.

I own two arisakas in 6.5 jap. I've used the light carbine to kill a blackbear and will more than likely use it in competition since it is the most accurate milsurp I own. the other is a long rifle that I bought because it's semi rare and I hate having to buy interesting pieces after appreciation kicks my wallet in the jewels.

two mosin nagants. one is in original condition and is long and not overly fun to shoot. the other is bull pupped and scoped making it an interesting piece.

it's the guys that own more than one rifle in the same caliber, configuration and model that I don't understand. :confused::confused::confused:

Rem 742 have wear out issues and parts cannot be found. Wisner's took down their excellent article on the problems with the Remington semi auto rifles, but the receiver rails eventually get damaged through use and cannot be fixed.

This is a portion of the article:

Essentially, the 742 was the 740, except the action tube part's weight was increased in an effort to slow the bolt's movement enough to keep the lugs from battering the rail inside the receiver. Also, the barrel's retainer nut was changed with the 742 so a common wrench could be used to remove the nut and barrel. The earlier 740 model had a spanner nut that required a special wrench. The 742's tolerances were loosened a bit also so it was less sensative than the 740 had been to slight variations in the barrel nut's tightness.

Still, the bolt lugs battered the receiver rail, however. The problem wasn't as bad, but it still happened. Generally, a 740/742 can stand about 1000 rounds before the bolt lug battering becomes problematic. A gunsmith can stone-polish the raised dents to allow the bolt to operate properly again. After a few hundred (perhaps 500 or more depending upon chambering), the battering will again cause problems. Gunsmithing can again fix the problem with stoning of the displaced metal. However, that is likely the final repair that can be made to the rail before it will allow the bolt head to over rotate and stress the carrier and link pin. The final repair may only solve the problem for a couple hundred more rounds. Since the rail is an integral part of these receivers, once they can't be repaired, the reciver, and hence the gun, is "dead."

I would sell the 742 and keep the M700.

Last edited:
If the 742 wasn't your grandfather's, I'd say sell it, for reasons stated above.

But since it was your grandfather's, it's a family heirloom and therefore should never, ever, ever be sold. Just my 2 cents

But by all means keep the 700.

Well, let's see. I've got some .308s. A Savage 11, a Remington 700, and a Handi-Rifle. The two bolts are destined to go to grandkids. The Remington will be given to a 14 year-old this Christmas. The Savage will go to another grandkid next Christmas, when he turns 14. Do you see a pattern here?

I've got four .30-30s. Two Win94's a Mossberg lever, and a Handi-rifle. I also have a few more grandson's coming up.

I have other rifles as well. I've probably bought half a dozen .22s over the last several years to give to grandkids.

You are lucky to have rifles passed down from a preceding generation. If you don't want them, pass them along to someone who will value them.

In many if not most cases your question is 100% spot on. But we don't live in a world of absolutes. Take s shooter with a couple .223's, one a heavy barrel bolt with a monster scope for variants, the second an .AR with a low powered scope for coyote. Same cartridge, different application.

If these are your only hunting rifles I would keep them both, that is if you want to ensure a hunt stays on track. As mentioned above, Mr. Murphy shows at the worst times. Having a spare rifle ensures you can stay on the hunt even though a scope got knocked around, you dropped your rifle overboard, the mag decides not to work, the extractor breaks, etc. You may go many years with no rifle issues and an occasional cancel may be fine. But if you depend on the meat, or game is sparse and you go a few years without seeing anything good, then missing one hunt may be a big deal.

If missing a hunt now and then is OK, then sell the 742 and upgrade the 700. But you might want to ask other family members why he had the 742. Could be that he rarely shot it or could be it was an anniversary gift and favorite rifle he bagged that huge elk with, or something similar.

I always liked our family Win 94 but gained much more appreciation for it when I learned it was a wedding gift to my grandfather from his new father-in-law un 1916, and every hunting photo of him in the 1920s-40s he is holding his Winchester.

There doesn't need to be a point to having 2 rifles, this is America! :cool:

If you don't want them both, give one to your brother or a 1st cousin or nephew (or sister or niece, for that matter) to keep them in the family.

Having multiple rifles in the same caliber is basic common sense. The only rifle I have only one of is a 300AAC and it's more of a novelty than a using gun.
If you don't recognize the possibilities of having a semiauto/bolt action combination, at least recognize that your Grandfather must have.

I understand the sentiment behind not selling a rifle passed down from my grandfather. However, I just don't have a sentimental connection to either of these guns. It's not like he took me hunting as a young lad and we bonded and I can never sell these rifles. From what I can tell in terms of family history, these were just his hunting rifles; nothing particularly special about them.

Two of the guns I received form him have special meaning (one is his retirement gift from his friends, the other was my mom's first gun), and I will keep those. But I don't have the emotional connection to these two 30-06's.

I do see the logic in keeping the same caliber, with one being a back-up gun in case Murphy strikes. And it is appealing that I'd only have to buy one type of ammo, as opposed to multiple.

I haven't decided what I'll do just yet, but thanks for the responses. Definitely some things to consider.

If you have no sentimental attachment to them, nor anyone else in your family, then you might as well sell the 742 and get what you want.

I think it is good to have a backup rifle eventually but it could be in another caliber, and cheaper too. We always had the old .30-30 as our back up rifle to our .30-06 and .308 rifles (one back up among 2-3 of us). Back then we really stocked up on the .308 and .30-06 ammo (3-4 boxes each!) and maybe had just a couple of boxes for the .30-30 at any one time. Even a single shot H&R could be a backup.

I would never get rid of grandpas guns if i were you. Semi would be more fun in my opinion at the range and a bolt would be my choice for hunting. Keep both and pass them on down the road.

Beezer said: I have 2 Remington 30-06's. One is a 700 bolt action and the other is a 742 Woodsmaster semi-automatic. Is there a good reason for keeping 2 guns of the same caliber?

The bolt action is probably a deer rifle and the semi is a hog rifle (multiple target).

Back