Multiple loaded guns in the house

The first person I knew who stashed guns in strategic spots around his house was a TX highway patrolman.

I always figured that maybe he knew what he was doing...

1911 in the nightstand; my regular carry gun, PM9, is always loaded and in my dresser drawer ... and I keep a small auto in the cabinet over the toilet ... never want to be, ehhhh, caught with my pants down and only a rolled-up Sports Illustrated for protection ...

On the first floor I keep a loaded: .12 gauge shotgun, an SKS, CZ-82, .357 and a .20 gauge shotgun in various rooms.

Second floor, a loaded: Glock 27,Glock 23,.12 gauge shotgun,an SKS, and a makarov 9X18 in various rooms.

With leo response times varying from 20-45 mins. we are on our own and I plan accordingly.

Every gun is loaded, except my 22lr rifle. The .357 360PD
is great for around the house. Throw it in a pocket, and you forget it's there. Feels like a cell phone. It's also great for taking a bath. Scandium doesn't concern me, rust wise.

We keep at least one loaded gun on each of three levels of the house. They're fairly well concealed and an intruder, unless he got real lucky, would have have to spend some time finding any of them.

I'm not going to pack a gun around on my person, in my house unless I've identified an imminent threat.

If I lived in another neighborhood, maybe I'd carry in the house, but not in my situation.

A question for those of you that leave multiple loaded guns strategically placed throughout the house:

Are you concerned that a bad guy might find one and use it against you during a home invasion?

No.

If the proper thing to do is hole up in a room with a gun and wait for the police, doesn't that leave a criminal with the opportunity to find one or more of your guns and come after you with a greater degree of force?

I know my house better than a burglar does, and having been broken into once while I was at home and asleep (Dobermans woke me up) during my LE days, I didn't call the police until I was ready for them to come haul the garbage out.

It's a "to each their own" situation. If you've had training on how to search for a bad guy and you KNOW the premisis you're searching, it's your call. If you don't, then hole up and wait on the cops to show up.

Me? I have zero faith in the what pases for "police" in our suburb. They'd stand a better chance of shooting my dogs, my wife and me than the obvious bad guy wearing a mask and t-shirt that read "ARMED HOUSE BURGLAR."

Jeff

Are you concerned that a bad guy might find one and use it against you during a home invasion?

Not at all. Sometimes I cannot find all four of the S@W Model 10s that are in this house: Or is it five? :confused:

Me? I have zero faith in the what pases for "police" in our suburb. They'd stand a better chance of shooting my dogs, my wife and me than the obvious bad guy wearing a mask and t-shirt that read "ARMED HOUSE BURGLAR."
That is unfortunate, but true in far too many communities, a few of which are around here.

I have several loaded guns around the house. They are in lock boxes with finger touch combinations. My wife and I can get to them quickly, but they are inaccessible to unauthorized persons.

I also believe in remaining in a place of safety and waiting for the police, as long as all innocent occupants are accounted for and with me. By going hunting, I expose myself to possibly being flanked or ambush, especially if I'm not absolutely certain how many BGs are around. I would also impair the protection of other occupants, and protecting them is my primary mission. Of course if an innocent occupant is unaccounted for, I would have to look for him or her. As I've mentioned, however, I'm not worried about a BG getting one of my other guns, since they're locked up.

Not so much when I'm home as when I'm not. I feel more comfortable with the idea of a theif trying to get that bigass safe out of the house than just wandering around picking up guns at his leisure.

I keep my normal ccw close by in the house. All others are in the safe. I do plan to get a Rem 870 for the bedroom.

Just have to be carefull with a 13 year old daughter. She respects guns, but still she is 13.

The firearm that's the most accessible is the one in your holster which is somewhere on your person.

I keep my standard next to my bed at all times, no questions asked. I have a shotgun downstairs ready to go if need be. I think 2 is enough for my modest house.

This thing has happened before.

Where burglars have broken into a house and found a gun, and used it against the properties owner.

Also Non-Burglary Killings have occurred similar in Nature...

All I can say is if I had guns around an about the house; Loaded of course this would be a large concern for me.

Leme see
1911 in my bed stand
Rossi 94 carbine on my wife's side
Winchester 270 in the office
45-70 in the spare bedroom
870 in the laundry room
Colt 44-40 wherever my wife leaves it.
Ain't no turkey illegal gettin in my house.

I was always taught - and consider it prudent - to have any weapons not in your DIRECT control to be locked away...

Where burglars have broken into a house and found a gun, and used it against the properties owner.

I've read many an article on many sites, and in my local newpapers, as well, and have not yet come upon an incident where a burglar broke in and rummaged around until he found a loaded firearm and used it against the home owner who'd been oblivious to the intruder.

Leaving a loaded firearm unsecured where it can be easily found is another matter. That's called arming the intruder, and has little to do with strategically placed loaded firearms that can be used to the home owners' advantage.

Back