Multiple loaded guns in the house

I keep a shotgun in the closet of my spare room, and my pistol is at my bed side every night. I live alone and when I do have guests depending on who they are I may or may not leave the shotgun in the room with them.

I'm not that paranoid. If I'm home, I have one loaded gun--all I need. All of the others are locked up safely. Who in their right mind needs to stash loaded guns all over the house "just in case"?
I guess someone with a different opinion isn't "in their right mind". Depending on your living situation, having guns placed around the house may be a good idea. I have a large house, and prefer not to carry 24/7 while at home. I have a gun in the garage, locked in a rolling toolbox. When I'm working in and around the garage, I'll just make sure my tookbox is unlocked and I'm good-to-go.

I also have one in my kitchen, not locked but kept in a safe and out of the way location. Unless you're carrying everywhere around your house, you will find yourself unprepared and running for your sole weapon should the need arise.

Be prepared.

Just me and the wife. All the kids are gone. I keep a loaded gun in every room, out of sight. They only get moved when I shoot and clean them.

What Hawk said.

I have a two story house and our kids are grown and gone.

I have some of my guitars upstairs and some in a rear bedroom where my computer is.

I keep a 4506 upstairs, a SIG P229 by the bed and a Bushie by the bedroom door. I keep a 5906 in the computer room and a G21 in the living room.

In the garage I keep a Security Six in the toolbox roll around. My safe is there but there are no loaded guns in it.

The troubles with illegals is getting worse and if someone comes in my door, I want a gun very close by that I can reach with minimum effort and I want it ready to go.

Looking back on this post, I wonder if it would be a good thing to reduce brand variation with one to maximize commonality of controls?

The actions required to fire the 4506 and 5906 would include moving the safety off as well as the long SA pull. I could replace one with the Springfield XDM and the other with a G17 and both are similar in operation. I might have to think on that some.

Geetarman:D

Looking back on this post, I wonder if it would be a good thing to reduce brand variation with one to maximize commonality of controls?
That is exactly why my choice od SD/HD guns are what they are. In spite of being a long time competitor with service rifle and pistol my choices are revolver and shotgun because they are both the guns I use for most of my fun plinking and serious defense practice.

When I wake, I wake easy but it still takes a bit of time to get all the gears in synch and up to speed and my revolver is already in my hand with no safety's to mess with, no rounds to chamber, no magazines to install its point and go. By the time I am on my feet it gets swapped for my turkey gun even though the short barreled semi is right next to it. It gets used more often and is natural in my hands and instinctive to use in a hurried situation. If a shotgun muzzle doesn't put a crimp in a home breakers plans a load of turkey shot will and I can pump that gun and shoot it as fast as I can the semi plus I am more accurate with it. My Winchester and Mossbergs load, and function the same so it really doesn't matter which one I have in my fists. The only oddballs are the single shots and the bolt action shotguns and they are not in the mix for home invasion scenarios.

Daytime when I am wide awake and all my gears are running in the same direction I could just as easily go with my 1911A1, lever action, Garand or anything else in the house but at dark thirty I want simple and instinctive to protect my family and my home. Friends, family and neighbors know to stick head in door of living room and announce themselves, everybody else has no business in my house. Best not to perturb Old Grumps at dark thirty if your intentions are not honorable.

Back