Martial arts tailored to modern carry?

I'm sure there are firearms specific training course based around martial arts style. My favorite out of the box martial arts that relates well to firearms is Aikido. Any decent Aikido instructor will know and tell you that every offensive and defensive technic will work open handed or with a sword in your hand (this starts with the very first few things you are taught). The parallel is that in a defensive situation you would want to clear your centerline (not have a sword or gun in the path you are in). Offensively (gun or sword in your hands), it is also similar because your own sword cannot be brought to bear against you if someone grabs your hands; so your own gun during the technique will near be pointing at you (the offensive techniques in Aikido would be impossible if a 2-3 foot sword could be in your hands AND pointed at your body). Aikido isn't my favorite martial arts style but it works well for this application.

He's absolutley right I thought I said Akidio too, can't believe I didnt mention it. I watched a 2 hour special on it and it uses all their weight and positions against them. This 6' 4" 240lbs. guy couldnt move a 5' 6" 150lb Japanese man while pushing against him. The Akidio Master wanted to show how it can be used for multiple opponents. He told 5 guys on the sidlines to come at him as hard as they could and do what they could. They all came at once and sure enough one by one he flipped them, hip tossed them, etc. and they kept coming and he kept defeating. I think Akidio probably would be best.

Tyler, I don't know about videos... but I've trained in Aikido pretty regularly since 1996.

It may not be the best style out there for tournament use, and it may not lend itself to sparring, but it does a fantastic job of training disarms, grab escapes, and quick, clean takedowns against attackers.

And first and foremost, it trains the body to reflexively get out of the way of the attack, instead of standing there and trying to block.

Yes it is amazing. This Japanese Akidio Master was incredible and a lot of the things they discribed makes sense. I think I might actually look into taking some classes.

Whoa guys....

Before you talk about 'masters', keep in mind it took them maybe 20 years to get that 'masters'.

You got 20 years to study this stuff BEFORE you can use it effectively on the street?

And I say this as a 5th Dan Taekwodo practitioner as well as Krav Magaist and JKDist.

It should not take you one year to get good enough to be effective on the street.

Deaf

LOL... I know Im not going to become a Master in 25days or even 25yrs. However, the show I was watching, this japanese man was a MASTER. He could do just about anthing to his opponents without them doing anything but getting tossed. I plan on and will study it for a long time I dont expect to be Chuck Norris by tomorrow. Though Id like his skill esp. in his movies :D.

TylerD45ACP, great point. Having the drive to learn and study and continunously improve is of crucial importance. No matter how good you are today, if you stop training/ practicing, someday soon you will not possess the same skill.

Skill is a sumation of raw talent, drive, work ethic, practice and proper training. We each have varying degrees of each, and it behooves us all to take this to heart: "Know yourself, and seek self-improvement." I think I heard that somewhere... ;)

All self defense skills are perishable and you have to keep some sort of continuous training to keep those skills sharp and effective. You don't have to train 5 days a week to be effective on the street, but 2-3 times a week should be enough to keep you progressing and improving.

Something I was taught in jiu-jitsu was to have 1 or 2 submissions, escapes, sweeps etc from each position that you're really good at. Then you have a base of go to moves to work from and set up chains of submissions or sweeps etc... makes you more effective rather than trying to master 20 submissions form each position. It allows you to play to your strengths and applies to just about and form of defense.

Back