Martial arts tailored to modern carry?

This question is kind of off the wall, but does anyone sell replica, de-milled, or otherwise not-fireable guns for martial arts training? If the MA / self-defense instructor permitted, I'd love to practice with an unshootable S&W 642 in my Mica pocket holster just to get a feel for it. (I don't have an instructor yet so it is a hypothetical question.) Something that I wouldn't mind someone grabbing for during a sort of grappling drill or something....

Just a thought.

I decided to take Mr. Nice's nice advice.

I am sure I have seen Red Guns in a store somewhere before ... I just didn't know what they were for.

Now I do, and that is the last rhyming post I shall ever do.

The most effective martial art for firearms is far and away called Marksmanship.

The most effective martial art, was my Niece taking my pistol (RIA/CS .45) from me in about .03 seconds from a cross draw holster.

Before I tried drew it ...................

She Teaches Krav.

One more food for thought: Situational Awareness- a state in which you are aware and alert for possible threats, AND prepared to act. Anyone, no matter what skill, if caught unaware, is very easily taken down.

I agree with the sentiment that while violent crime is a lower possibility than some here would admit, it is a very real one none the less and should be prepared for accordingly.

But while we're on the subject of risk management, what are you doing to mitigate the far more likely risks? Are you overweight? Stroke and heart disease kill far far more people than criminals in America. Ever taken a driving class? Car accidents are much more common than violent crime. Do you smoke? Drink too much? Ride a motorcycle without a helmet? Have regular checkups, including colonoscopy for the men over 50? How much life insurance do you have?

The "I just want to be prepared to take care of my family" line becomes less valid when that preparation is focussed largely or exclusively on one specific, fairly low, risk.

kapap.

Taught by Avi Nardia.

I could sit here and tell you what I know of the guy's ability, or if you're serious about this, you could research him and find out what this guy is capable of teaching you.

Avi Nardia google search turns up a lot of fraud allegations. Even if they aren't all true, it has to make you wonder about his legitimacy.

Hard truth ...

(1) 99.9% of fights in the real world hit the ground with no clear resolution ... 'til you get there.

Therefore, ground fighting/grappling skills are super critical, whether or not, while standing, you can slug away like Joe Frazier. :eek:

(2) Most people who "train" for combat, especially the young guys I see, really need to lay off the beer and late-night eats (so as to reduce the "gut-age").

IOWs, you should be doing more crunches and ab-work at the gym than you presently do. (i.e., talking loud in the local houch-joint and swilling brewskis on a Thursday night doesn't make you the next MMA champ).

Just sayin'

agtman said:
(1) 99.9% of fights in the real world hit the ground with no clear resolution ... 'til you get there.

Therefore, ground fighting/grappling skills are super critical, whether or not, while standing, you can slug away like Joe Frazier.

I'm sorry, I must disagree.

If you train to not go to the ground, and aren't "fighting" your opponent, you shouldn't touch the ground at all.

BlackFeather
If you train to not go to the ground, and aren't "fighting" your opponent, you shouldn't touch the ground at all.

I'm a little confused by your response, can you clarify for me?

I think grappling skills are paramount in self defense. A limited amount of grappling skills is a huge advantage against someone with no grappling skills. It's much easier to learn how to box than it is to grapple. I know, I'm pretty terrible at both. :D

I'm pretty sure that he means, it isn't that hard to slip the initial takedown attempt if you know how, and if you are carrying, AND CAN JUSTIFY USING A FIREARM (BIG IF), then you don't really need to know more than how to avoid the initial takedown.

Hey Irish,

I think what you're looking for would be more military-related applications. For civilian martial arts programs, the most relevant ''art'' that follows what you're looking for would be Krav Maga. (as some ppl mentioned earlier) KM utilizes gun disarming techniques from multiple scenarios.

In hapkido, we train for stick, cane, rope and knife defense/disarmament. But those are about it...at least with the school that I'm with. I've also done some self defense with my work/local LE and that was geared towards gun disarmament, but the moves were all essentially Krav Maga moves.

Krav is the pinnacle of close quarters training imo. For the average joe a trip to the local judo club would really do you some good.

First off, most Krav Maga is just watered down for civilians and making money off of them. Some of it, very little, will be real. My opinion.

Irish, my point is that while grappling skills are useful, it's far less important than knowing how to stay away from that situation. Ground fighting and grappling get dirty fast, and you never want to be in that situation when things go wrong. This is usually when a knife gets brought into play.

Grappling skills that allow you to get away, are different. I just don't understand why people think knowing how to break someones arm while wrestling on the ground is going to help them.

"Grappling skills that allow you to get away, are different. I just don't understand why people think knowing how to break someones arm while wrestling on the ground is going to help them."

Well... If you're fighting an attacker/opponent and you dont have your weapon, wouldnt breaking his arm be a great advantage? If im fighting anyone Im going to inflict as much trauma as physically possible. Eyes can be gouged, groins crushed, bones broken, etc. All great ways of causing your attacker to rethink his actions. Defending ones self is ones own responsibility. How much time and effort goes into training and physical fitness is up to the individual. Breaking an arm or even leg isnt any different than shooting. Youre trying to stop a deadly or dangerous threat or action.

I think you might have a misunderstanding of grappling, ground fighting is only a fraction of grappling. The main goal of grappling is control of your opponent and the situation, there's a lot more to grappling than just arm bars and triangles.

Grappling takes place on the feet as well as the ground and while knowing how to stay on your feet is part of the equation, so is controlling someone on the feet with grappling. Clinching is a huge part of grappling and striking, but the approaches are different. Grappling is more important than striking when carrying a weapon, at least in my mind.

I'm slow and a terrible boxer, but it's easier to slip a punch or avoid it doing any real damage than it is to prevent a take down. It's tough to strike an opponent while he has control over your balance, it's tough to draw or employ a weapon if you're off balance or being thrown head first into the sidewalk.

The Modern Army Combatives Program (MACP) has some weapons disarming/use stuff in the Level III training, I think. The Army is usually pretty good at putting their FMs online, and you can probably find some Youtube videos on it too.

- Chris

No Irish youre the one who doesnt understand. IM NOT ONE OF THOSE MEATHEAD UFC FANS IN A TAPOUT T-SHIRT. Im just really believe judo and other grappling arts are lacking in peoples training. Many many hours of my life have been spent on situational awareness and takedown defense. I actually have real world experience with these as well.
But if youre fighting for your life and think youre going to reaaon every move slowly in your head youre going to lose, most likely. Muscle memory and balance are key. Judo skills make for a pretty quick fight. And most of the skills Ive practiced are exactly what your last paragraph talked about.
My question to you is- have you ever visited a judo club or even a jiu-jitsu dojo? Not one of these newfangled mma mall ninja places. A real dojo.
Takedown avoidance and keeping your opponent off balance are the basic things you mostly practice in judo. And yes- you do learn throws,falls, and groundwork. But when you take the sport part of jufo out of it, there are lots of "dirty" methods of self defense involved. Its all about being smaller or weaker than your adversary and using physics and technique to defeat them. Going to the ground would mean the fight is being controlled by the other guy. But knowing that you can fight a larger stronger man from the bottom and still defend youself isnt a bad thing. Its not ideal, no, but fighting isnt ever going to be ideal anyhow.
If its fighting for my life, bones will be broken, eyes gouged, genitals destroyed, whatever tools I have to use will be employed to completely ruin the attackers chances of hurting me or whoever.
Of course, I carry a gun all the time, but being quick to respond to physical threats includes all forms of combat. Ive used judo for self defense WAY WAY more than a gun.

Back