Looking To get My First Pistol

Not the worst list I’ve seen. I would not buy any on that list except the Canik. I’d like to try one of those. More as a “can they really make guns?” inquiry.

The Walther’s seem like a good gun, but it has been reported to me that the Walthers have an uncomfortably light trigger, even for an intermediate competitive shooter. They also have no safety. I don’t consider that positive for a first pistol.

CZ is probably solid, but has not been as well received in the US except by people already looking at CZ. It is probably a decent safetyless pistol.

Didn’t the 320 have issues with “going off” unexpectedly? Didn’t Sig struggle to address this satisfactorily? I guess they did raise the pull weight and roughen up the travel. I don’t really know first hand. I find them wide and expensive. They did convince the military to dump the Berretta….so there is that. Compact often just equals hard to shoot in service guns.

The Walther as a whole is lighter than all the others on the list. That's the one thing I've noticed. It also has my favorite grip texture of the bunch. The CZ seems good so far, plus I've not heard anyone say really anything bad about them. They do have the P07 and P09 which are DA/SA Hammer fired guns. If I can find one to try I'm going to as they seem like a solid option as well. As for P320 price, a base one locally to me is under 500, which makes the Walther the most expensive of the group by about 150 bucks.

The Walther as a whole is lighter than all the others on the list. That's the one thing I've noticed. It also has my favorite grip texture of the bunch. The CZ seems good so far, plus I've not heard anyone say really anything bad about them. They do have the P07 and P09 which are DA/SA Hammer fired guns. If I can find one to try I'm going to as they seem like a solid option as well. As for P320 price, a base one locally to me is under 500, which makes the Walther the most expensive of the group by about 150 bucks.
Consider the Walther PPS M2 and the CCP M2+. Granted they are single stack and so fewer rounds. The PPS is quite small and amazingly soft shooting BUT has no manual safety. The CCP is even softer shooting and has a manual safety. The current CCP M2+ also uses Glock 19 or 43 sights.

Alright so another update. Before I get to that, sincere thank you to everyone in this thread for taking time to pass along your thoughts and advice. I think I've got my final 4 list for my first pistol. From here on it's just renting these more, and spending more time with each one to truly figure out which one I like the best of the group. One thing I will note is that all of these are right around that 4inch barrel length mark so that it's easier to carry in the car with me. I will get a full size big boy down the road though. So in no particular order here's the list
CZ P-10c
Canik TP9SF Elite
Walther PDP F series
Sig P320 Compact

A buddy of mine got the CZ P-10c. It is a decent gun at a decent price, but here are my gripes with it. The grip texture is really abrasive (maybe excessively so) and the trigger isn't all that (I am a self-professed trigger snob).

I don't have any experience with Canik, but have only heard good things about them. Some of their guns are really cheesy (Miami Vice), but to each his own.

Walther PDP F Series. The PDP is the successor of the PPQ line. The PPQ has one of the best striker fired triggers on the market and I believe the PDP uses a very similar system. I have a PPQ Q5 and I gave my sister a PPQ. They are great guns with great ergonomics. May I ask why you specified the F series? That line is marketed to females as the slide is easier to rack. If you hand strength issues or previous injuries, you should check out the Smith & Wesson Equalizer as well.

The Sig P320 Compact is the only "modular" pistol on your list. The are okay, but I don't like the factory trigger much. Again, I am a trigger snob, so take that with a grain of salt. If you are looking for a modular pistol, look at the Springfield Armory Echelon too. I have one and it is a great shooting gun. The ergonomics are great and it shoots really flat.

Sorry for adding more options, but better to have more information and not have buyers remorse later on.

A buddy of mine got the CZ P-10c. It is a decent gun at a decent price, but here are my gripes with it. The grip texture is really abrasive (maybe excessively so) and the trigger isn't all that (I am a self-professed trigger snob).

I don't have any experience with Canik, but have only heard good things about them. Some of their guns are really cheesy (Miami Vice), but to each his own.

Walther PDP F Series. The PDP is the successor of the PPQ line. The PPQ has one of the best striker fired triggers on the market and I believe the PDP uses a very similar system. I have a PPQ Q5 and I gave my sister a PPQ. They are great guns with great ergonomics. May I ask why you specified the F series? That line is marketed to females as the slide is easier to rack. If you hand strength issues or previous injuries, you should check out the Smith & Wesson Equalizer as well.

The Sig P320 Compact is the only "modular" pistol on your list. The are okay, but I don't like the factory trigger much. Again, I am a trigger snob, so take that with a grain of salt. If you are looking for a modular pistol, look at the Springfield Armory Echelon too. I have one and it is a great shooting gun. The ergonomics are great and it shoots really flat.

Sorry for adding more options, but better to have more information and not have buyers remorse later on.
I'm looking at the F series more because the grip is also tailored for smaller hands so the trigger reach is easier. I think it's something like a 1/4 inch shorter reach than a regular PDP. I've held both I just haven't shot both to see if I really would prefer one over the other. Hopefully I can find a range that has them and give them a try. Also I don't mind the adding of info. The Echelon is definitely nice. I held one right after the P320. At the moment the only guns I haven't held that I'm interested in are Shadow Systems stuff, specifcally the MR920 and the DR920. There's a gun show locally to me this upcoming weekend so I'm planning to go to that.

Back