Looking To get My First Pistol

A lot of goos suggestions here. I didn’t notice if you had a budget in mind, but some I think would be good first pistols include:
Heckler and Koch P30 (hammer fired 9mm)
CZ P07 (hammer fired 9mm)
Canik TP9SFX (striker fired 9mm)
Ruger SP101 (.37/.357 revolver)
Ruger GP100 (.38/.357 revolver)

A lot of goos suggestions here. I didn’t notice if you had a budget in mind, but some I think would be good first pistols include:
Heckler and Koch P30 (hammer fired 9mm)
CZ P07 (hammer fired 9mm)
Canik TP9SFX (striker fired 9mm)
Ruger SP101 (.37/.357 revolver)
Ruger GP100 (.38/.357 revolver)
I don't have a specific budget in mind other than if I can keep it under 800 that would be preferable. Which diving in and looking around I had no clue that there were so many really good quality guns available. Almost every gun suggested so far can easily be had in that range and I can customize it down the road, or add things like optic/red dot sight when I'm ready. I have not yet had a chance to see a CZ in person, but I have seen the Canik mete TP9SFX and the Ruger SP101 and at least held them. It's just a matter of finding a range that has these guns and trying them out to see which one just works best for me. If I were to give a list on what I'd like to try the most based on all the suggestions it'd be these in no particular order:
1. Ruger SP101 if I went the revolver route
2. Canik Full size Mete TP9
3. Full Size M&P 2.0
4. Springfield Echelon
5. Sig M17
6. Glock 17
7. Walther PDP

Taurus has come a long way since it's rep for being unreliable but if it was me and I wanted a 1911 that's dead nuts reliable I'd get a Rock Island A1 FS tactical.

FWIW: I've run at least a 1,00 rounds of mixed ball, hollow-point,
cast flat nose, Alox'd, powder coated, conventional lubed ammunition,
etc., through an M17 with nary a hiccup.

It ate everything.

Been doing more research. Found what looks to be a very nice indoor range locally. Great prices for renting pistols, and their rental list pretty much has every gun suggested here for me to try. Plus training courses. Great prices so definitely excited to be diving further into learning to shoot and trying out the various pistols. I've honestly not been this excited to try something new in a long time.

Once again I can praise this community for being welcoming. A co-worker of mine who's a very avid gun owner was kind and brought in 4 boxes of different calibers of ammo. 5.7x28, 30 super carry, 9mm, and 40 S&W. Going to have to research the first 2 as not being into gun's the are not calibers that I know of or even good guns to try and find to rent for reach. If anyone has suggestions for those calibers please let me know. As for the 9mm and 40 I have a range close by that at least has an M&P 40 available to try out and a plethora of 9mm options.

Once again I can praise this community for being welcoming. A co-worker of mine who's a very avid gun owner was kind and brought in 4 boxes of different calibers of ammo. 5.7x28, 30 super carry, 9mm, and 40 S&W. Going to have to research the first 2 as not being into gun's the are not calibers that I know of or even good guns to try and find to rent for reach. If anyone has suggestions for those calibers please let me know. As for the 9mm and 40 I have a range close by that at least has an M&P 40 available to try out and a plethora of 9mm options.
Of those four choices I’d suggest 9mm. Ammo is more common, cheaper, plenty effective for SD, and reasonable to learn with recoil wise.

Of those four choices I’d suggest 9mm. Ammo is more common, cheaper, plenty effective for SD, and reasonable to learn with recoil wise.
totally agree. But it's 50 rounds of free ammo in each caliber to try out at least. Figure it couldn't hurt to try them out.

....A co-worker of mine who's a very avid gun owner was kind and brought in 4 boxes of different calibers of ammo. 5.7x28, 30 super carry, 9mm, and 40 S&W.....
Just about the only thing I know about 5.7x28 is that it's uncommon, to say the least. I can only think of two companies (Ruger and FN) that made pistols for it. That said, I wasn't really looking, so there may be others. As to 30SC, there's a Shield Plus chambered in it. I don't know if there are any others. I'd suggest going to ammoseek.com or some of the ammo comparison & shopping sites and figure out what those are going to run you, cost per round. Then compare to more common handgun rounds, 9mm and .40 S&W, maybe even .45 acp.

As for 9mm and .40 S&W, ... of those four, those are head and shoulders more popular than the other two. At least that's my best guess. We've had plenty of debates about 9mm vs. .40, or vs. .45 acp, or .357Mag, ... There's plenty of research to be had. I'll just add that I carry a 9mm. Taking it on balance (cost, capability, capacity, etc.), it's the best choice for me. YMMV.

Let's see, I think you ought to get...
Never mind, everything on the market has already been recommended with the situation no clearer.

Oh, well, here goes; my first handgun was a frickin Luger. Then I got smart and asked for a .22 for Christmas.

As Jeff Cooper said, "You can learn about 80% of what you need to know with a .22."
So unless you have immediate need for a duty or defense weapon, and are willing to take professional training with it, get a decent .22.

Originally posted by wild cat mccane
There really isnt a worse trigger revolver than the ruger sp. This is fairly accepted by most. I would suggest looking more in the s&w line

While I've certainly found better triggers than the SP101, it isn't the worst by a long shot. Just in my own collection, my SP101 has a trigger better than my Webley Mk. IV, H&R Sportsman, and Colt Cobra and about on par with my Colt Pocket Positive and the stock trigger on my S&W 442 (it improved greatly with an Apex spring kit). Likely, my S&W M36 has only a slightly better trigger than my SP101 does. In my experience, small-framed revolvers like the SP101 or S&W J-Frames generally don't have as good a trigger as their medium and large framed counterparts due in part to the fact that they have smaller, lighter hammers and thus require heavier springs to ensure reliable ignition.

Let's see, I think you ought to get...
Never mind, everything on the market has already been recommended with the situation no clearer.

Well said.

Just about the only thing I know about 5.7x28 is that it's uncommon, to say the least. I can only think of two companies (Ruger and FN) that made pistols for it.

I'll agree the 5.7x28 is as goofy as they come but that said...

There's the really goofy FN P90 (not a pistol but I mention it just because of its goofiness AND I might get the chance to shoot one in the near future).
https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-p90/

The KelTec P50---yeah it's a pistol but it's goofiness on steroids.
https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearm/pistols/p50/

And a legit, traditional pistol from, of all folk, S&W.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp57

Ammo can be found for about $.50 a round here:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/fiocchi-5-7x28mm-40gr-ammo-150rds-57fmj40.html

Greetings everyone! So the time has finally come in my life where I will be getting my first pistol for home defense. Not so much looking to carry though it may ride in the car with me. So size wise that compact range around 4inch barrel on up to full size is where I've focused. I've got family members and friends that have several guns that I'll be going to the range to try out with them soon. Several Taurus models, Glocks, M&P, and a couple of Sig (P226,229). Went in this past week to a local gun store, spoke with a gentlemen who was great. Got to hold guns that none of my friends/family have. Hellcat pro, Canik (I believe it was a tpsf9), Walther PDP F model, and a Tisas 1911 45 ACP.
So I've at least had the change to hold several firearms in my hands to get an idea of what at least feels comfortable. Shooting will definitely further help. All this to say I have a couple of questions.
1. Is having an optic/red dot sight on my first gun a good idea? For me it feels more natural aiming wise.
2. If I didn't go the route of something like a Hellcat pro (striker fires) is a 1911 a good first gun? I've always loved how they look and holding the Tisas felt surprisingly comfortable.
So, to answer your questions directly:
1. I would be looking for a good quality, double-stack 9mm, hammer-fired with some type of external safety or de-cocker. Personally, I like the CZ 75B, CZ Shadow. If you are trying to stay around $500, I wouldn't hesitate buying an older S&W 5906 or even a 659. The guns I've mentioned are extremely reliable, durable and easy to operate.
2. I prefer 9mm over 45 because ammo is substantially cheaper to buy in bulk and practice with. For home defense, 9mm defensive rounds are perfectly fine.
3. I do not like Glocks or Glock-a-likes for first-time gun owners - most will refuse to keep a round chambered, and even if they do, and the gun is unholstered, its just too easy to grab the trigger and BANG!
4. Optics - Unless you are well trained with a red dot optic on a handgun, they are much harder to use than you might think. Pick the gun up and if you can't find the dot, then what? Keep searching for the dot??? For me, I can't stand red-dot optics on handguns, but then again, I haven't spent hours upon hours training with one.
5. If you get a 1911 for home defense, remember you must keep a round in the pipe, hammer cocked and safety on. As a new gun owners, are you going to be "ok" with that?

Last edited:
So, to answer your questions directly:
1. I would be looking for a good quality, double-stack 9mm, hammer-fired with some type of external safety or de-cocker. Personally, I like the CZ 75B, CZ Shadow. If you are trying to stay around $500, I wouldn't hesitate buying an older S&W 5906 or even a 659. The guns I've mentioned are extremely reliable, durable and easy to operate.
2. I prefer 9mm over 45 because ammo is substantially cheaper to buy in bulk and practice with. For home defense, 9mm defensive rounds are perfectly fine.
3. I do not like Glocks or Glock-a-likes for first-time gun owners - most will refuse to keep a round chambered, and even if they do, and the gun is unholstered, its just too easy to grab the trigger and BANG!
4. Optics - Unless you are well trained with a red dot optic on a handgun, they are much harder to use than you might think. Pick the gun up and if you can't find the dot, then what? Keep searching for the dot??? For me, I can't stand red-dot optics on handguns, but then again, I haven't spent hours upon hours training with one.
5. If you get a 1911 for home defense, remember you must keep a round in the pipe, hammer cocked and safety on. As a new gun owners, are you going to be "ok" with that?
How do you feel about the CZ P07 or 09? They seem like viable options on the more affordable side for DA/SA pistols.

Last edited:
Back