Looking To get My First Pistol

I honestly do not have any trigger time with either of those CZ models, so I couldn't give any valid opinion on those. For home defense, I prefer heavier, reliable steel guns. My steel 9mm's are my "go-to" guns that get the most range time. So, that's what I tend to prefer for home defense where weight really isn't an issue.

If that is what you like, they have no issue now and are affordable. Expect $400 new. Not bad. But there are maybe 3 other major DA/SA polymer models in existence that are also okay (HKs, PX4, 2022).

My P-09 was huge gripped. I moved on from it because like all CZs that aren't competition, the trigger is very much a long rolling break with a long reset. Double action stout too. That is pretty true of the other polymer DA/SA options.

Honest, as long as you don't say Ruger, Kel Tec, or clones, you're just going to get vocal (us) responses...but anything you get is pretty much functional at this point.

Last edited:
I think 9mm would be wise choice for 1st pistol. Won’t gobble about brands but I would only choose from 1st rate firearms if my life might depend on it. There are a lot of sub standard pistols on the market. When they act up on the range it don’t matter. When somebody is kicking your door in it’s a different story.
I’m more of a revolver shooter but 9mm is cheaper than 38sp and everyone has it. This means a person can shoot more, gaining experience and accuracy. The one thing that usually creeps up on those who are hunters buying first handgun is the tendency to create a target gun out of their SD piece. SD shooting is short range by definition.

So to update on where I'm at. As of now a compact like a Hellcat pro or Sig P365 X Macro/365 XL is what's felt the best in hand. But there are a few other pistols I'd like to try before I 100% commit to one of those 2. I've yet to hold an M&P 2.0 in that size range (3.7 to 4.25 barrel). I want to revisit a PDP again and I'd like to get a hold of an Echelon, and a foundation series version of the Shadow Systems XR920 and DR920 (or at least these series of guns to feel them out). 100% going with a 9mm that much I am sure of. And I'm about 80% sure that the hellcat pro type size will be the direction I go for the first gun.

For a first handgun, don't discount the fact that the
smaller/lighter a weapon is, the nastier it is on recoil.
;)
(and the harder they are to rack the slide)

Whatever you narrow down to, try to find them to shoot first if at all possible.

Last edited:
One thing you can always remember, you can always buy more guns so I wouldn’t sweat it too much if the first one isn’t the perfect gun. Don’t count out revolver’s either, they still have a viable place for SD and just all around shooting. I’ve added two revolvers to my Arsenal so far this spring, an older Security Six with a 3” barrel, and am picking up a new Python with a 4” barrel this afternoon. My CC pistol is a Hellcat and it’s a great little shooter but I wouldn’t recommend it as a first pistol for learning with. I’ve been shooting pistols for almost 50 years and these smaller CC types need constant practice to stay proficient with. I carry a 4” Security Six with heavy magnum loads in my car every day and have a S&W model 57, .41mag with lighter loads in my night stand.

Hell cat pro is a good pistol. Mine lives in an IWB holster. I installed a green reticle 507k sight on the slide. It's bright and easy to see even in the daylight. I especially like it for nighttime.
Even though mine has the tritium front sight.
Holo Sun is a significant improvement for speed shooting.

Do note however that a bigger handgun will be easier to learn on and to produce
results especially for target shooting or speed..

So to update on where I'm at. As of now a compact like a Hellcat pro or Sig P365 X Macro/365 XL is what's felt the best in hand. But there are a few other pistols I'd like to try before I 100% commit to one of those 2. I've yet to hold an M&P 2.0 in that size range (3.7 to 4.25 barrel). I want to revisit a PDP again and I'd like to get a hold of an Echelon, and a foundation series version of the Shadow Systems XR920 and DR920 (or at least these series of guns to feel them out). 100% going with a 9mm that much I am sure of. And I'm about 80% sure that the hellcat pro type size will be the direction I go for the first gun.
You're still making all the right moves. Good for you.

It appears that magazine quantity is still a high priority on your list. That's a popular position but is it realistic where you live?

Since this will not be a CCW focused purchase, for a very first handgun that can do it all I would suggest a Smith and Wesson 686+ in the 4 inch model. I love mine and it can be adapted to any need from woods protection and light hunting to people problems.

And you can shoot lower power loads for training and people who are averse to full power like your wife and/or kids.

I've read a TON of good suggestions in this thread, so I thought I'd give mine. I'd buy the pistol you feel the most comfortable with, and shoot the best, practice with it a lot. I'd then make my bedside pistol a Remington 870.

Sprky

You're still making all the right moves. Good for you.

It appears that magazine quantity is still a high priority on your list. That's a popular position but is it realistic where you live?
I suppose yes and no on the mag size as I would 100% consider a 9mm 1911 as a first gun as well, despite it not being the easiest gun to maintain. I think the higher mag thing for me is more so when I go to shoot at the range I can keep the gun in my hand a little longer per mag while I practice and learn.

I suppose yes and no on the mag size as I would 100% consider a 9mm 1911 as a first gun as well, despite it not being the easiest gun to maintain. I think the higher mag thing for me is more so when I go to shoot at the range I can keep the gun in my hand a little longer per mag while I practice and learn.
That's reasonable. Lots of magazines is another popular route. Speaking of 1911s you might be surprised how many 1911 owners with dozens of magazines are seen as magazine deprived.

If carry is a possible future consideration then many of the Single stack 9mms will also be viable. Single stack 9mm are quite often easier to conceal than double stack ones and often will have full size grips compared to the high cap micro 9mms ones you've mentioned. Fewer rounds also translates into lower weight.

Some possible ones in that category are the Walther PPS and CCP or S&W Shields.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• shield-2.0.jpg
    shield-2.0.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 62
  • PPS-right.jpg
    PPS-right.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 64
That's reasonable. Lots of magazines is another popular route. Speaking of 1911s you might be surprised how many 1911 owners with dozens of magazines are seen as magazine deprived.

If carry is a possible future consideration then many of the Single stack 9mms will also be viable. Single stack 9mm are quite often easier to conceal than double stack ones and often will have full size grips compared to the high cap micro 9mms ones you've mentioned. Fewer rounds also translates into lower weight.

Some possible ones in that category are the Walther PPS and CCP or S&W Shields.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
I have held an m&p shield plus. Felt so nice, and is definitely top of the list down the road for a concealed carry down the road once I have basics drilled into my head.

I have held an m&p shield plus. Felt so nice, and is definitely top of the list down the road for a concealed carry down the road once I have basics drilled into my head.
One thing with the shields is they are really hard to rack, particularly when compared to the two Walthers.

One thing with the shields is they are really hard to rack, particularly when compared to the two Walthers.
Definitely will make note of that and check out the 2 Walther's as well. I'm a fan of the PDP so I'd imagine the 2 compacts would be just as nice.

Alright so another update. Before I get to that, sincere thank you to everyone in this thread for taking time to pass along your thoughts and advice. I think I've got my final 4 list for my first pistol. From here on it's just renting these more, and spending more time with each one to truly figure out which one I like the best of the group. One thing I will note is that all of these are right around that 4inch barrel length mark so that it's easier to carry in the car with me. I will get a full size big boy down the road though. So in no particular order here's the list
CZ P-10c
Canik TP9SF Elite
Walther PDP F series
Sig P320 Compact

Last edited:
Alright so another update. Before I get to that, sincere thank you to everyone in this thread for taking time to pass along your thoughts and advice. I think I've got my final 4 list for my first pistol. From here on it's just renting these more, and spending more time with each one to truly figure out which one I like the best of the group. One thing I will note is that all of these are right around that 4inch barrel length mark so that it's easier to carry in the car with me. I will get a full size big boy down the road though. So in no particular order here's the list
CZ P-10c
Canik TP9SF Elite
Walther PDP F series
Sig P320 Compact
Certainly not a bad list.

Not the worst list I’ve seen. I would not buy any on that list except the Canik. I’d like to try one of those. More as a “can they really make guns?” inquiry.

The Walther’s seem like a good gun, but it has been reported to me that the Walthers have an uncomfortably light trigger, even for an intermediate competitive shooter. They also have no safety. I don’t consider that positive for a first pistol.

CZ is probably solid, but has not been as well received in the US except by people already looking at CZ. It is probably a decent safetyless pistol.

Didn’t the 320 have issues with “going off” unexpectedly? Didn’t Sig struggle to address this satisfactorily? I guess they did raise the pull weight and roughen up the travel. I don’t really know first hand. I find them wide and expensive. They did convince the military to dump the Berretta….so there is that. Compact often just equals hard to shoot in service guns.

Back