Large Dog at the door!

John, why not apply the logic.

It's even worse in town. Close proximity to others is the last place you need to brandish a gun.

I don't care if you kill my dog. what i care about is where the bullet goes if ya miss. A dog is a lousy shot profile, especially if he is in full charge at you.

Maybe this new Kimber Guardian Angel is the answer.

My posts are not to defend the dog. It is to warn about collateral damage, or unwarranted shooting.

I can't apply city logic because I've not lived in the city except for the years in which I served.

So, pretty much the only thing we have determined is

A: Tresspasing is a relative term
B: The OP only inspects duplexes that share a porch.
C: The only possible way to handle a dog that is going to attack, is to shoot it dead?

Last edited:
Logic would be that if you don't want people shooting your dog in self defense that you restrain it in accordance with the law.

If they break into your house, enter a posted, fenced enclosure, or release your dog from its restraints, that's another story entirely.

Is a gun the best option for repelling an attack by a large dog? It's certainly one legal option that has been show to be effective but it's not the only option and there may be others that are more effective or more appropriate.
Tresspasing is a relative term
Trespassing is a legal term with a thorough legal definition. I think that there are a lot of people who don't understand what trespassing is, but that doesn't mean it's relative--just that it's not understood.

Once again my "logic" will not work in this case.

If I had more time I'd check w/my county on the tresspassing law(and for clarification, I do not believe the OP to have been tresspassing)

But, we had checked into it because of hunters jumping fence. IIRC we didn't need to post it anywhere. It no uncertain terms it's "If you weren't invited, and it's not yours, Keep off".

I know that may not work in multi-family dwellings. My wife who was reading over my shoulder would like to know (and I quote) "So, if I were to invite all my friends, and throw a party, as long is I wasn't told, or it wasn't posted, I'd be within the letter of the law?" (I know this is a bit off topic, but goes to show that Tresspasing can be a misconstrued term)

"So, if I were to invite all my friends, and throw a party, as long is I wasn't told, or it wasn't posted, I'd be within the letter of the law?"

In theory, yes as long as the elements of trespass have not been established by your state's particular law. (i.e. fenced enclosure, signs, oral communication).

Multiple intersections of fence are on our property(been like it for years before we purchased)

Fence jumpers are common, Guys who "didn't know" they were tresspasing. I'm even guilty(tracking wounded deer). Haven' had time to purple paint all the property.

Since we are off OP's topic, I will conceed to the whole tresspassing issue.
But I will stand my ground that, In a residential situation, the discharging of a firearm to ward of attack/possible attack is apoor descision, and that other methods of defense should be pursued.

Can you fire on a dog if you are the one on it's owner's property?

If the dog went for your upper body, I would say yes.

Best bet is to ask people on the phone before you come that:

"If you have any large or aggressive dogs, please lock them up in a bedroom or somewhere where they and I will both be safe. Thanks."

I suggest having this in a contract as well. If you do get bitten, then you have nothing left to prove other than the owner didn't follow the contract and are then liable for damages.

Yes, the owner would be responsible anyway...but at least this way you don't have to go through the hastle of explaining in court what was happening when the dog bit you. But rather: "The contract asks that all dogs be locked away in a safe place while people are on-site. The dog was not locked away. The owner broke the contract."

Like a Plumbing inspector should be carrying protected by the town. I don't think so. Tell us the town in MA and lets see how long you will still be the plumbing inspector.

Try getting the right house next time or do you think you are the swat team?

He got the right house, it was a DUPLEX.

Protected by the town? Is the mayor gonna pull the dog off him? Are the city councilmen going to take turns making his rounds with him to make sure he stays safe?
Tell us the town in MA and lets see how long you will still be the plumbing inspector.
You'd seriously try to get someone fired for trying to exercise their 2A rights? :eek:

Like a Plumbing inspector should be carrying protected by the town. I don't think so.

I'm gonna remember that one the next time a thread gets started about somebody not liking their company's no carry policy at work, or maybe the no carry policy of your local grocery store or stop-n-rob. Again like John I am :confused:. I thought this was a gun forum populated by those who believed in the inherent right of all humans to defend themselves as expressed in the 2nd ammendment to our constitution.

Gotta agree

with JohnK here, I thought we supported 2A around here. Am I on the wrong board? Also, nothing will get a complaint to a government official round filed faster than having this kind of amazing grammatical structure
Like a Plumbing inspector should be carrying protected by the town. I don't think so. Tell us the town in MA and lets see how long you will still be the plumbing inspector.

Try getting the right house next time or do you think you are the swat team?

I guess my family has bad luck with dogs......

because anything below the belt is expendable?

That made me think of my nephew's experience of a few years ago. I think he was 11 at the time. The neighbor's dog, which was of the breed originally named in this thread, jumped the fence and went after his little brother, 5 at the time. My 11 year old nephew got between them and got bit in the groin area, didn't get THOSE parts, but missed his femoral artery by millimeters. The ER docs told his dad that he was very lucky to be alive.

So yes, even below the belt, large dogs are dangerous to both life and limb.

He got the right house, it was a DUPLEX.
No he didn't
I will guarantee you that each side of that duplex has a different address unique to that home, which identifies it as a separate dwelling

Do you think that because you arrive at the correct apartment complex you have rights to any apartment
After all they all have the same main address

I will guarantee you that each side of that duplex has a different address unique to that home, which identifies it as a separate dwelling...
Believe it or not, I've seen a duplex or two in my life. A duplex is a single house internally split into or originally designed to be two dwellings.

One could accurately say that he went to the wrong door (missed it by a few feet if it's like the duplexes around here), but he got the right house and the right front porch.

Which is all quite irrelevant from a legal standpoint...
Do you think that because you arrive at the correct apartment complex you have rights to any apartment
I have no idea where you got the idea that one needs "rights" to knock on a door. If you have some legal evidence to back up this position, please post it--I'm not aware of anything along those lines.

Unless a person's front yard is posted and/or fenced, anyone can walk up to the house and knock on the door just to say hello or even for no reason at all. You may have your dwelling set up in some sort of unusual manner, but in the more general case walking up to a person's front door doesn't require exercising any special rights and going to the wrong door doesn't carry any legal penalties nor cause the person to forfeit any rights.
But I will stand my ground that, In a residential situation, the discharging of a firearm to ward of attack/possible attack is a poor descision, and that other methods of defense should be pursued.
Some of the heated responses to this thread are excellent evidence in support of that position. I'd much rather rely on OC if it reduces the chances that an irate owner will open fire on me--it would be a pale comfort to muse while ducking bullets that he's going to be prosecuted for his actions.

One could accurately say that he went to the wrong door (missed it by a few feet if it's like the duplexes around here), but he got the right house and the right front porch.
You just defined wrong house

Which is all quite irrelevant from a legal standpoint...
But totally relevant to the point that the poster you rebutted made

I have no idea where you got the idea that one needs "rights" to knock on a door. If you have some legal evidence to back up this position, please post it--I'm not aware of anything along those lines
.Nice dodge but the point is still relevant to the point that the poster made they you rebutted

In both cases he woulds have been at the wrong door
Which is in fact at the crux of the whole discussion

Unless a person's front yard is posted and/or fenced, anyone can walk up to the house and knock on the door just to say hello or even for no reason at all
.Fine but they should make up what ifs to justify shooting the dog

Several points are indisputable here, no matter how much you try to divert from them
Key among them is
If he had not knocked on the wrong door the dog would not have paid any attention to him
Which is the point that the poster quite clearly made that you felt the need to rebut

And believe it or not in 25 years of knocking on people's doors I have also seen a few duplexes and have yet to see one that did not have it's own address

Last edited:
Y'know, for about six months after moving into my house I had numbers on my mailbox but not my actual house. In our neighborhood, like most it's even numbers on one side of the street and odd on the other. In our neighborhood the mailboxes are also all on one side of the street so the mailman only has to go through once. My across the street neighbor's mailbox is directly beside my driveway and mine is immediately after it, creating the illusion that my address is his even numbered one when it's really my odd numbered one.

In that six month period I had two or three times where someone (fed ex, UPS, an electrician I think, It's been awhile so I can't remember who and how many exactly) came to my door thinking it was the across the street neighbor's house. My house wasn't clearly marked, mea culpa. I had those little brass numbers but just couldn't get around to breaking out the hammer and tacking them to the front porch bannister. I was too busy working during the week and shooting on the weekends. Finally the wife threatened me into getting it done. :)

My point in all this is that by some poster's logic it seems that since those 2 or 3 individuals were on my front porch with no legitimate "business" there even though my house wasn't clearly marked through my fault, and "if" my 90 lb. dog had burst through the screen door and taken a chunk out of their hide, it wouldn't be my responsibility and the individual in question would have no right to self defense? I'm sorry but I just can't follow that logic.

I'd shoot my own dog in that situation personally, but that's just me. I value human life and health a little higher than fluffy's even though he's been a good dog.

Back