Large Dog at the door!

When did the dog react according to the OP?
Where exactly did the OP state that the doors were four feet apart?
There are many duplex configurations, even in a SxSs

At least I based my opinion on the actual statements made.
You're the one who has been doing the "figuring"

joab said:
Where exactly did the OP state that the doors were four feet apart?
Post #28--it's on the second page of the thread.
Mags said:
I was at a duplex, two front doors about 4 feet apart. Same porch, same yard.
You quoted it in your post (post #29) immediately following his.

I do not like strange dogs that bite
I do not like them day or night
Out on the street or in their yard
It just don’t matter, they’ll still bite hard
If I do not have time to run….
I’ll have to shoot it with my gun!
:D

Damn this thing has gone on a long time, I don't even remember everything that I have posted

The dog still did not react until he knocked on the door and it would hard to convince anyone that has ever owned a dog that the dog was not aware that he was there until that point
Especially with an open door

And he was still at the wrong address, which was easily avoidable

There is also nothing to indicate any irresponsibility on the part of the owner as some of the early posters tried to say or any indication that the dog was dangerous as the OP stated

And he was still at the wrong address, which was easily avoidable
I keep seeing this statement popping up, but I never see anyone pointing to a law that says going accidentally to the wrong address means you forfeit your right to self-defense.

The OP made a mistake. He went to the wrong address. In terms of self-defense, so what?

If anyone can point to a law that says you forfeit your right to self-defense when you mistakenly go to the wrong door, please provide some info about that law.

It really boils down to this: For the OP's situation, the question is NOT whether he has a right to self-defense. The question is what are his options and what is his best choice for self-defense.

I keep seeing this statement popping up, but I never see anyone pointing to a law that says going accidentally to the wrong address means you forfeit your right to self-defense.
Since you quoted me, you also have never seen me state or imply that.

It really boils down to this: For the OP's situation, the question is NOT whether he has a right to self-defense. The question is what are his options and what is his best choice for self-defense
Situational awareness and conflict avoidance are usually considered the most important self defense choices defense options
Don't be where you're not supposed to be is probably something that our mother's taught us at a very early age

Don't be where you're not supposed to be is probably something that our mother's taught us at a very early age.
True, but my understanding of that statement is that it implies not KNOWINGLY being where you aren't supposed to be. Certainly, you should do your best to not accidentally be where you're not supposed to be. But mistakes happen.

In the OP's case, it was a reasonable mistake. No amount of situational awareness and conflict avoidance will keep you from making an occasional mistake. The OP stated that the dog came out of "nowhere." If the dog truly came out of nowhere, which is entirely possible given that the dog was inside the residence, no amount of situational awareness and conflict avoidance will give you x-ray vision, super-hearing, or clairvoyance. If situational awareness and conflict avoidance gave you such abilities, you would never encounter any life-threatening situations because you'd know about them in advance.

Other than a mistaken address, the OP did nothing wrong, except maybe not having a pre-planned reaction to a dog attack, considering his line of work. Hopefully, the OP has learned a lesson and has developed a plan for such situations in the future.

Back