It's ok to tase the bro!

I've also been there, done that, got the bumps n' bangs to prove it. Never, NEVER, wrestle with the cop on the scene.

I also find it amusing that after he's wrestled to the ground he claims he'll leave quietly or some such. One, if you had been willing to leave quietly in the first place you'd not be under a pile of cops right now. Two, it might actually have been from LawDog, or might have been from elsewhere...but one of the rules of thumb that I read and liked: once the cops have had to physically subdue you to the ground, or once you physically resist (especially strike/push) an officer, you don't get to "leave quietly" on your own anymore. You're going in custody. You may or may not be released afterwards, you may never see a courtroom...but you're taking a ride with the nice officers. Period. That's just how it works.

On a completely unrelated and off-topic note, my other favorite rule of thumb regarding police (from Chris Rock): if the cops have to chase you, they're bringing a butt-kicking with them! (Edited for decorum, of course)

No they didn't. There was one cuff on him. As soon as the first went on he became very physical in his resistance. When on the ground he was purposefully refusing to comply with the order to release the arm held under him, leaving it uncuffed. He was told he would be tased if he did not comply. He did not comply but instead yelled "Don't tase me bro!" He might as well have been Briar Rabbit yelling not to be thrown into the briar patch! HE WANTED that incident to happen.

Now they could have beat on him physically or forced his arm free, possibly dislocating it and resulting in lingering injuries, but they didn't. They gave him an option to comply or be tased. He CHOSE to be tased.

Exactly. He was given the chance to surrender peacefully or be tased and he chose the latter. I would have tased him too. I also thought they actually showed great restraint as I would have done it alot sooner.

I guess I am just kind of against using tasers in general over minor behavioral problems where no one is at risk of being injured by the person. With all the reports of unintentional deaths following the use of the Taser, I am surprised they are still in widespread use. I suspect their are product liability lawyers out there just salivating at the thoughts of suing Taser International.

I guess I am just kind of against using tasers in general over minor behavioral problems where no one is at risk of being injured by the person. With all the reports of unintentional deaths following the use of the Taser, I am surprised they are still in widespread use. I suspect their are product liability lawyers out there just salivating at the thoughts of suing Taser International.

I believe the chances of an unintentional death from a single use of the drive-stun mode on an individual already on the ground are absolutely remote. Probably about on par with the chances of unintentional death from any physical (as in, non-taser) method of forcibly removing him.

If we want to talk about use of the incapacitating mode against non-threatening subjects, or the repeated use of drive-stun against passively resisting (even handcuffed) subjects, I think we'll agree.

But in this case I we've got a guy who was physically resisting and wasn't exactly a small guy. The chances of an injury (including unintentional) from forcibly removing him, either to him or the officers, were orders of magnitude higher than the chance of him dying from a use of the taser in drive-stun mode.

EDIT: Also note part of the reason I don't have much problem here is that it was a single use as well...it's not like they zapped him four more times when it was obvious it wasn't going to get him to leave.

minor behavioral problems

Minor behavioral problems are arguing with professors or talking out in class, having to be wrestled to the ground by officers is way beyond minor behavioral problems.

From what I've read most of the deaths involving taser have involved individuals with pre-existing health conditions and/or illegal drug habits, typically cocaine/crack.

From what I've read most of the deaths involving taser have involved individuals with pre-existing health conditions and/or illegal drug habits, typically cocaine/crack.

That and, as I already mentioned, secondary injuries from a taser strike (like hitting your head on the way down). Yes, people have died from that. But the risk of that was pretty much zero in this case.

This was not minor misbehavior. This was an individual who was determined to prevent Senator Kerry from making a speech, and to prevent others from asking Kerry questions; that idiot wanted to make such a fuss that the Senator wouldn't be able to continue his speech. The idiot was provided with an opportunity to ask Kerry a question, then refused to give up the mic, then kept screaming and disrupting everything. He wouldn't give up the mic when asked nicely; he wouldn't leave when he was asked nicely; and he wouldn't stop screaming when asked nicely.

He was an idiot who got what he deserved. Maybe less than he deserved.

No worries, though. He can still join the Code Pink idiots. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
+1 And he broke rule #!, Do Not resist the LEO's. THEY WILL WIN!

Citizens! Do not resist! Resistance is futile! Do not try to say politically incorrect things! Do not think politically incorrect thoughts!

What they did to that kid, they're treating it like it was a funny joke. They're just echoing what they're told on the controlled media, by the talking heads on the controlled media.

You know, this was once a free country. Maybe some day it will be free again.

You know, this was once a free country. Maybe some day it will be free again.

When was it ever so free that you could act like an idiot and people thought it was acceptable? It hasn't been that way in my 40 years or so on the planet.

This was an individual who was determined to prevent Senator Kerry from making a speech, and to prevent others from asking Kerry questions; that idiot wanted to make such a fuss that the Senator wouldn't be able to continue his speech.

My understanding was that the speech was over, and the question and answer session had ended as well. If so, I don't see what you are talking about.

And I don't think force with the potential to cause death should have been used on someone doing nothing more than making an ass out of themselves in public.

Citizens! Do not resist! Resistance is futile!

Werewolf, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about a group of people who have to do their job a specific way in order to protect themselves...and they WILL protect themselves because they want to go home at the end of the shift.

You want to argue, do it with the judge...later.

Yeah it looks much better for PR when you electrocute them into submision
You suppose if they stood around asking pretty please for another half hour or so it would have looked any better

He might as well have been Briar Rabbit yelling not to be thrown into the briar patch! HE WANTED that incident to happen.
That reference may be lost on some of the younguns
With all the reports of unintentional deaths following the use of the Taser, I am surprised they are still in widespread use
Yes it was so much safer when they just choked you into submission or hit you with sticks
You can't use the news media as an educational source, or even as a news source any more

And I don't think force with the potential to cause death should have been used on someone doing nothing more than making an ass out of themselves in public.
Neither do I
Which is why I will not use force to resist arrest after failing to comply with lawful orders from the police

You wouldn't have had to make that comment if you had actually read any of the articles regarding the incident

What have I missed?
And no need to be rude and condescending, I was commenting on the facts as I understood them.

You missed the fact that they turned the mic off and he didn't shut his mouth. I find it hard to believe I'm sticking up for Joab, but he happens to be correct not rude or condescending.

It has been established over and over that the mic was cut

The comment has already been made, and thoroughly refuted, that all they had to do was shut the mic off and he would have shut up

The video shows the mic being cut and him not shutting up
The articles explain that the mic was cut and he didn't shut up

And then you come along and imply that the police overreacted because all they had to do was shut the mic off and he would have shut up

Participating in a discussion entails keeping up with it and being educated on the very basics of the subject at hand

Instead of writing all that condescension I simply wrote a short concise sentence

I know they cut off the mic. I already noted that in a post I made hours ago. I also know he kept on talking. Kerry's speech was over though, and so was the question and answer session (as I understand it, he took the mic after they announced they had done the last question). So he started trying to blabber. What was the big deal about that? I don't see why you need to be tasered for not shutting up. He didnt seem to be on the verge of physically harming anyone until the police put themselves in that position.

It looks to me like if they had just cut off the mic (which I already knew they did), and just left it at that, he might have blabbered on for a while, but would have caused no physical problem.

Back