Is the Ruger GP100 the Greatest Double Action Revolver Ever Made?

"The S&W guys are alot like the Harley guys, in a fog so to speak.
If they only knew"

If only I knew what?

That I've fired -- extensively -- every double-action revolver Ruger has offered in the past 40 years, and I keep going back to Smith & Wessons?

You're right. I do know. I know that the extra lead brick that Ruger puts in its revolver isn't something that I need or want.

I know that I've never found a trigger on a Ruger that could be gunsmithed even remotely close to what a Smith trigger can.

I know that I'm not running 5,000 full-bore-magnum rounds through my Smiths every other Tuesday and twice on Sundays, so this mystical "durability" edge Ruger supposedly has is something I'm never going to approach.

I know that esthetically Rugers look as if the eagle on the grips has taken a plopper on them.

I know that every time I pick up a Smith I'm picking up a legendary firearm whose design was largely perfected before Bill Ruger's Mom gave him his first binky.

Does that make Ruger revolvers bad revolvers?

Nope.

It does, however, make them revolvers that I have no real desire to own.

So yeah. You're right.

I KNOW.

I used to own a 686-3 4", and I liked it "OK"...but compared to my old favorites, the Model 19 and model 15, the 686-3 felt like a brick, and I never shot it that well.
Sold it.
Last year, I bought a 3" GP100 fixed sight, and I love it. I did some of my best shooting ever with it, on it's first range trip.
Made in 2013, the trigger is fantastic. Very smooth in DA, and short and crisp in SA.
Before I got it, I read up on GP trigger jobs, intending to dive in polishing, changing springs, etc.
It quickly became obvious that my GP trigger needs nothing...it is even better than my well used S&W 19 and 15.
Is the GP100 "the best DA revolver ever"? I would not presume to make such a statement...but for me, yes, the GP100 is the best DA revolver for me.

"It is noteworthy that I have yet to read any internet stories or have personal experiences with a fatal mechanical failure in a GP100."

Friend of mine bought one when we got out of college... 1987 or 1988.

Few hundred rounds in and the frame cracked at the barrel lug.

Ruger took care of it, replaced the gun, and last I heard he still has it.

ll Ruger, while proud of his first double action revolver, the Security Six, and its siblings, decided that it couldn't stand the constant pounding from the 357 cartridge, so the GP100 was designed to handle that.

Say what? Last I heard the Security Six was a tank of a pistol.

Mike,

It's logical fallacy to define a rule by its exception. I've owned a piece of crap Model 586. I would not extrapolate my experience to all 586's.

We would be remiss were we to not look at a gun's intended purpose. The GP 100 from my estimation, is above all else a duty/working gun designed to fire .357 Mag loads.

mavracer,

Two guns that are consistently considered the two best .357 Mag revolvers are the Model 27 & Python. Both of these guns were designed on frames larger than the "K" Frame.

All comes down to opinions, the Smith and Colt guys just voice theirs louder here. I've been shooting versions from all three companies for over 25 years and the one I'd grab first and do more often than not is a GP. Great gun, all have strong points but overall I simply prefer the GP.

Two guns that are consistently considered the two best .357 Mag revolvers are the Model 27 & Python. Both of these guns were designed on frames larger than the "K" Frame.
What does that have to do with you're incorrect statement about the K frames strength?

The GP100 is the most robust production DA 357magnum revolver ,this is very true , cast investment or carbon steel.

!!

Incorrect.

Just not true. The .357 Ruger Redhawk and the Colt Mk.V's are both stronger guns than the GP-100

There`s some better , some fit better , some shinier some heavier , BUT ya gotta go to a custom shop with custom prices

While a .357 Redhawk will run you a a few bucks, a used Colt Mk V is NOT a big dollar gun.

The GP-100 is a VERY good gun. I would have no reservations saying it's one of the better current production .357's on the market, but greatest of all time?

Sorry, too many other fine 357's out there to hang that crown on it.

A solid argument could be made that it's the best value in a new production .357 though.

A "rusted shoot out Model 19 over a GP 100"! Now that's just silly;) A Colt MkV is the same size as a GP 100 and to lump it in with a 357 Red Hawk is just wrong. I have and prefer Smiths but Ruger GP's, SP's, Security Six's and Red Hawks are excellent guns. Greatest of all time S&W Triple Lock!

A Colt MkV is the same size as a GP 100 and to lump it in with a 357 Red Hawk is just wrong

How so? The post I was replying to stated that the GP 100 was the most robust double action .357.

I gave two examples of .357's that are more robust than the GP.

One would be the Redhawk. I don't think anyone is going to argue that a GP 100 is more robust than that.

... and the MKV Colt's , while the same size as a GP are made of a better quality forged steel, and stronger steel with a super strong action. A VERY robust mid size.

Redhawk>Colt MkV>GP-100

Greatest of all time S&W Triple Lock!

I agree that a solid argument can be made for the Triple Lock. :)

The Security Six had parts that were hand fitted. It was all about the Benjamins when the GP100 came out. With that being said I like my GP100.

MkV Colt locks the cylinder in 1 place, unless you are counting the cylinder locking bolt. The GP100 has 2, 1 of which is the very secure crane lock point. What about the MkV action is so much stronger, isn't it allot like the Mk3 action but with a coil main spring rather than a leaf main spring? Now I do really like a Mk3 Colt, something about an exposed back strap that does it for me, especially if it has some nice grooves machined in it along with some pretty grips. Not a fan of a post type grip frame, except maybe on a Contender.:)

"It's logical fallacy to define a rule by its exception."

Uhm... Try reading my entire post again, INCLUDING the quoted part from another member who says that he's never seen any internet reports of anything every going wrong with a GP 100.

I provided that for him.

On the internet.

:rolleyes:

"A "rusted shoot out Model 19 over a GP 100"! Now that's just silly"

Nope, not at all. I can lovingly restore the rusted, shot out Model 19.

Done it before.

I'm shaking my head at some of the statements made in this thread.

S&W 19 not a real magnum?
.357 not a preferred SD round?
.357 ballistics pedestrian?
S&W 586 is crap?
"Tons" of lock failure stories?

The M19 is called the Combat Magnum. It has .357 stamped on the barrel.
.357 is arguably the best man-stopper of all time.
.357 ballistics have been proven by the F.B.I. - I'll take their word for it.
586 crap? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Lock failure stories? Ya, there are "tons" of Elvis is alive and BigFoot sighting stories too.

I could go into detail about these things - but if you know about firearms - I don't even have to. And if you really believe those statements to be true, nothing I say here is gonna help you. Crossing my fingers they were just trolling?

The GP100 is a fine revolver. It's a great value for the money. Best ever made? Hardly.

It's not even the best being made today.

I would go so far as to say it's the best DA revolver you can buy without spending significantly more; but it's not the greatest ever.

Back