Is the Ruger GP100 the Greatest Double Action Revolver Ever Made?

I agree than a Smith M19 is a nicer gun that the GP. I recently handled a nice pre lock 19 that looked brand new. The store wanted $800 for it. I handed it back to the clerk.

Looked new with box and papers and I’d have sprung. I believe that most older S&W are still undervalued. I think the Registered Ms and Masterpieces are a little overpriced...a little.

I don't believe the model 19 was in production when the Hillary hole was brought about. That being the case, all model 19 are hole-free. My 19-3 was shipped in '71. M19-4 was the last of the P&R models

There will always be a search for the absolute best but there will never be an absolute answer. I own S&W, Colt, Ruger, and Korth double action revolvers and have shot about everything else, from the Roehm, Rossi, Taurus, Astra, Weihrauch, Sauer & Sohn Hawes DA, Manurhin revolvers and cannot come up with an ultimate answer.

When I compare the top-quality revolvers I find not only a negligible difference in utilitarian value but often that each one has at least one strong point that the others are missing.

Personal opinion, however, will lead to personal favourites.

GP100..nice gun, well made, but ugly as board fence built by a ten year old.
Interesting. I've always liked the way they look. I guess it's a good thing that there is such a wide variety of guns out there--makes it easy for people with differing tastes to all find guns they like.

There is no "best" revolver, but there are some top-shelf choices - and the GP-100 is definitely one of the top choices. They can have exceptionally butter-smooth double action pull with just a little bit of work.

This one is definitely a keeper, for me:
26939677959_9929f7bc95_b.jpg

MR-73 in .357 Sig or .357 mag is one of the best I've shot. I know Korth is more expensive but I shoot the MR-73 as well and it's more economical.

Last edited:
Back