Is the Ruger GP100 the Greatest Double Action Revolver Ever Made?

A Ruger GP 100? Surely you jest? Turn the clock back to pre wonder nines and you would find mostly S&W Model 19 and 66 in Police holster’s throughout the land. I know of no PD that adopted the Ruger during that time period, also in the police shooting competitions that were popular then Ruger was never seen in the hands of a serious competitor.
Am I biased? Sure, I am one who has both a 19 and a 66 that were used as a service pistol and for serious PPC matches. Love the K frame Smith.

Mikey,
i shot my Ruger Security-Six along side a cop who used the model 19 in competition and he had his gun retuned at 2000 rounds while I have never had to tune my Ruger. The Smith had a better trigger pull but it was no where near as strong or durable as my Ruger. He used 38 wad cutters and I used full house 357 ammo. I guess it depends on whether you want a nice trigger pull or a gun that holds up for tens of thousands of rounds.

laytonj1,
One competition that would allow it is Hunter's pistol Silhouette but we were only practicing and talking. He was the one who got me to my first Silhouette match and we actually won a final death shoot-off as a team.

Nathan,
I own a 45 Colt with a barrel that is injection molded steel. It's on a derringer that handles 45/410.

ShootistPRS, I should think that anything man made can break down, I was referring to multitudes of officers and their handguns, I personally have shot untold revolver rounds with little problem from the weapons. I attended S&W Armorers courses on the revolver and autos, possess all my specialized tools and binders of Smith’s instructions and personal notes, when I perceive a problem is in the making I disassemble the pistol and check every component. Repairing or replacing as needed. Hopefully the pistols will survive long after my demise.
I also have a number of Ruger rifles and pistols, my SP 101 is just no match for my 2 1/2” Model 66 Smith but both go ‘bang’ when requested and both make the steel ring.

It depends on what you consider best. Imo it's not even close. I'll take a DW which is just as strong and more accurate at long ranges.

The GP100 is a good to very good double action revolver but it isn't even close to being the best ever made. That honor goes to the Smith & Wesson model 27.

The Model 27-----that oversized beast:eek: with the too high
bore---my goodness how wrong could one be?

If the Model 19 had been cited or the 586, then yes, hooray.

But that joke? Nah! :eek:

UncleEd, the model 27 is not oversized. In fact it is perfectly scaled for full-size, adult American men. The 19 and the 586 are more suited to petite women... ;)

The Model 27-----that oversized beast:eek: with the too high
bore---my goodness how wrong could one be?

If the Model 19 had been cited or the 586, then yes, hooray.

But that joke? Nah! :eek:
I must be a larger man than you. The Model 27 perfectly fits my hand. I also have a stainless L frame S&W that I like but not as much as the N frame Model 27.

Tony

I'd put the Korth, Manurhin, and a couple Colt's, the I Frame & D Frame (Python, and Diamondback) over the GP100, but I still very much like the GP100. I like the S&W Model 27, 28, 19, 586/686 better than the GP100, but I feel they are all more than adequate revolvers. Ruger is a different gun than S&W, or Colt. For the price, the Ruger is an excellent gun. Pythons routinely sell north of $3000 now, and the Korth is also a $4000-$6000 gun as is the Manurhin.

Back