Is the Ruger GP100 the Greatest Double Action Revolver Ever Made?

Webley? Oh, how could I ever forget the Webley. Maybe the ugliest revolver, but they do hold a very special place in my heart. The Webley Fosberry auto revolver is a fabulously cool & very unique old gun.

Bill Jordan was a pretty big guy with big hands (I met him once).
He felt the Model 27 was a bit too big.
And, were Jordan still alive, I would invite William Munny to call him a girly man.

Ever made? No.

Currently made? There’s an argument there because the GP is more or less an old school survivor where its competitors either died (Colt) or became horribly mutilated (S&W).

Ever made? No.

Currently made? There’s an argument there because the GP is more or less an old school survivor where its competitors either died (Colt) or became horribly mutilated (S&W).
I have to agree with you on this. The one Colt revolver I had was beautifully made and very smooth. However it was a Detective Special and way too small for my hands. I don't think there's new revolver made that I would trade either of my vintage S&W's for...

Tony

I find the Smith & Wesson clockwork to be much more tinkerer friendly than Ruger's. The only successful modification I made to my Security Six was to add .004" shims to each side of the hammer pin. It's amazing how this slicks up the action.

The S&W does not need this as the hammer sits perfectly in the frame with no sideplay. I've never seen drag marks on a S&W hammer.

"I've never seen drag marks on a S&W hammer."

Believe me, it's very common. Ditto for the triggers.

Just takes a little bit of the hammer or trigger pin to
be off kilter and you'll see it.

Had one Smith years ago where the trigger really was
rubbing hard against the inside of the frame. Performed
surgery: Tapped it in the other direction to
"align" the trigger pin. All was fine after that.

i Posted that I'd stake my life on my GP100 & I haven't changed my mind. However, my 1967 4" Colt Python is the great revolver I ever had. No ifs ands or buts.

I have never owned a Ruger GP100, always preferred S&W double actions. But a friend I used to work with almost 30 years ago, named Mike, we were both greenhorn Prison CO's, carried a BUG out bag in his trunk (He was ex-military and ALWAYS prepared), and in that bag he had a 4" GP100 he swore by, he loved that gun. I tried to buy it, he just laughed, and said "NO". I always liked the feel of S&W more, but he was into gun smithing and had his GP100 smoothed up, real slick action, he was a good man with a stone. Beautful weapon. I wonder if he still has that gun. I believe he retired. He did reblue and smooth up the action on a S&W model 10 .38 police trade in gun for me once, did a superb job! I still have it. Anyhow, his reasoning, and he knows far more than I, was that the Ruger was stronger, more durable with long term use of hot magnum loads. I don't think I could wear out a SW model 28, as they are pretty solid, but I always took his word for it pertaining to his Ruger. My guess is its still in his trunk BUG out bag, even in retirement.

GP100 is a good dependable revolver but not in S&W class. To compare with a
S&W it would be closest to 586 L frame, but a little clubbier. Bill Jordan didn't
say a 27 was to big to shoot, he said it was to big for LEOs to carry. He was
instrumental in m19 Combat Master Piece on K frame. I have several S&W 357
In K-L-M frame, 4" to 83/8" and have none I would trade for a GP. I have had
the Rugers too. Not near as slick and heavier than Smiths. If you got a 27 you
would give your GP to Good Will.:D:D:D

The Korth is more expensive
The Python is better if you want to be on TV
Model 27 is smoother
Dan Wesson is more accurate
My GP100 is not the best at anything but pretty good at everything and for a fair price..
Maybe that is good enough...

GP100..nice gun, well made, but ugly as board fence built by a ten year old. If personal opinions count, I'd vote for a seasoned Smith Model 19 4". Power, superb SA trigger right out of the box, a DA that is the industry standard by which all lesser revolvers are judged, no add'l full length lug to add weight to your belt, and, let's face it, it's down right beautiful. Flame on, brothers. Rod

No flaming on a 4" m19! I own a 4" 19-3 myself, it has a touch of honest holster wear but I love it. You aren't kidding about the trigger, SA or DA it is the best I own and I have not yet found it's equal. An absolute sweetheart in every way.

Back