Is the Ruger GP100 the Greatest Double Action Revolver Ever Made?

Mike,

That just cracks me up. It must be a privelage to be so special that a lowly Ruger is not good enough for you. LOL.

It may be cheaper, and easier to manufacture, but it has always been well know that the GP100 replaced the Six series because Ruger felt it suffered abuse from constant 357 firing.

"Well, that was our first double-action revolver. It’s given great service, but my recollections of it are of the difficulty we had in learning how to make the inherently more intricate double-action revolvers. I don’t think we made a penny out of any Security-Six, but many shooters still like them." Bill Ruger

I've owned a 586. It was one of the first model S&W handguns that wasn't R&P. That handgun was a piece of crap.

I've recently bought a GP 100. I was surprised at what a well-made handgun it is.

The Python is a beautiful gun.

The Model 27 is a extremely beautiful gun. It needs to praise from me. It has earned its accolades.

A side note: I bought my GP 100 for trail use where black bears roam. I do not consider the .357 Mag and revolvers as preferred self-defense choices. Were I to use my GP 100 for self-defense I'd use 158 grain SWCHP +P rounds. Also, I consider 4" barreled .357 Mag revolvers to have best balance. Advertised .357 Mag velocities are pipe dreams. A couple decades ago I chrono'd factory .357 Mag factory ammo out of my 4" 586. They were to the one quite pedestrian.

Quote:
So... can anyone argue that the GP100 isn't the greatest Double Action revolver ever made?
-------------
Yes, I can argue that the GP 100 ....won't even make a top 5 list....behind a variety of revolvers....like the S&W Model 27's, or 28's, or 19's or 686's...or Colt Pythons....

just based on the quality of the trigger alone in the GP 100's ...its not nearly as good as any of the 5 guns I've listed above, in my opinion.

"It must be a privelage to be so special that a lowly Ruger is not good enough for you."

Yes, yes it is.

It's also a privilege to spell privilege correctly... :p

Last edited:
BigJimP,

Models 19 & 66 are not true .357 Mag guns; ergo, the Model 586. The Models 19 & 66 are more .38 Special +P guns that will fire .357 Mag rounds.

I used to own a Model 586. It was one of the most crappy revolvers I've owned. I never trusted it to save my life. Its cylinder froze during a training course & wouldn't revolve . I've had to send it to S&W at least twice to repair defects. I gave it away. I even paid to have it shipped to an FFL for transfer.

Some will argue that the Model 27 was/is the best .357 Mag revolver. Others will argue that the Python is.

The GP 100 is a working gun. While I'm sure it's accurate, it was obviously designed to be a duty/working gun. I intend to use mine as a back country trout fishing gun.

Ruger would have a winner were it to chamber its GP 100 in .41 Rem Mag.

I listed the model 19 ....not the model 66 / but in my view, they are absolutely .357 mag models.../ especially since all I shoot thru them is the typical 158gr bullet ( Montana Gold 158 gr JSP bullets )...in .357 mag.../ and I have put many thousands of rounds thru my model 19's ( a dash 3and a dash 4 - both 4" Nickel ) and my 66's - a dash 1 in 2 1/2" - and a dash 1 and dash 2 both 4" ...as well as my 27's, 28's and 686's...with no issues.

but I could have listed the model 66 as the 6th best .357 mag...and again for all the same reasons...primarily the trigger.
----------
I would also agree / argue that the top two .357 mag revolvers is an argument between the Colt Python and the S&W model 27's...( with the model 27's getting a slight edge in my view ).

Last edited:
Anyone who says the 686 trigger is better than the GP100, has not compared recently manufactured examples. I have a 686, and its trigger is certainly NOT any better than my GP100. Both revolvers were manufactured in 2012.

Sevens,

You might want to do a Google search of problems associated with firing .357 Mag rounds exclusively out of an "K" Frame.

Anyone who says the 686 trigger is better than the GP100, has not compared recently manufactured examples. I have a 686, and its trigger is certainly NOT any better than my GP100. Both revolvers were manufactured in 2012.
I would have to agree with that. Smith & Wesson is willfully doing something to the double action trigger of the new guns where you draw the trigger back 85% of it's travel and the damn thing hits a wall, stops dead, and requires excessive pressure to break it on a double action pull.

I first found this in a 2011-built four inch 686+ that my buddy purchased new.

To a guy that considers himself a long time, full bore fan of the Smith & Wesson double action revolver, the double action trigger on these new ones is an abomination. But I will admit that I've only pulled the trigger on four of these newer ones. (but all four did exactly the same thing... I don't think it's an anomaly)

I also don't think it's a "new gun that hasn't been broken in" or a "lack of internal finishing and polishing" on a new production, mass-produced product. Instead, it just seems to me like it's a design or "feature." :(

Sevens,

You might want to do a Google search of problems associated with firing .357 Mag rounds exclusively out of an "K" Frame.
Spare me.
Smith & Wesson also had to address the Model 29 revolvers with a durability update when the silhouette shooters began rattling them loose with heavy loads that the Ruger, Dan Wesson and Freedom guns digested without similar problems, but only a fool would make such a silly statement as the Model 29 "is not a true .44 Magnum."

Your statement is absolute nonsense and you're alone, out in left field with it.

Seems there are a few revolvers that could be crowned king. Does it really matter?

This is like a debate about which Formula One car is faster. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

The GP100, along with some other Ruger, SW and Colt revolvers, are top of the food chain.

It is noteworthy that I have yet to read any internet stories or have personal experiences with a fatal mechanical failure in a GP100. And for that matter, a handful of other models and designs.

It does crack me up when folks look down their nose at the GP100. As if they themselves have designed and produced anything of such incredible usefulness.

Mike Irwin said ..... quote ...

"Not.

Even.

Close.

I'd take a rusty, shot out S&W Model 19 before I'd every consider going with a GP 100."
----------------
I'm with him in this discussion - hands down.../ life is too short to own and shoot 7th or 8th place revolvers...;)

I looks to me like he's read them just fine, you should try actually reading them a M19 will live just finr shooting 158gr it's the 125gr nuclear loads that erode the forcing cone and lead to cracks.

It is noteworthy that I have yet to read any internet stories or have personal experiences with a fatal mechanical failure in a GP100.
Here's on from Ruger forum the OP admitted to many thousand max loadings of H110 and 125gr bullets but ultimatly Ruger is not immune to erosion and will eventually crack.

2934d1315061683-cracked-forcing-cone-gp100-100_5778.jpg

I think the GP 100 probably is the king of the economy wheelguns. I hope that wasn't too damaging an endorsement. That new variant (match champion?) seems a little better, but the price is up there with S&W.

Back