Is the Ruger GP100 the Greatest Double Action Revolver Ever Made?

Best revolver of all time,

in my view, is a model 27 in a 4" ...( a slight edge over the model 19 in a 4" )..

Last edited:
I've got a lot of revolvers ( really :) ) & BTW... I do like my 4" Stainless GP-100 but... "the best" of mine is this... this one has a trigger like nothing else I've ever fired

attachment.php

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262772

Nope. While great, the short barrel on the 2.5" Model 19 messes up balance and pointability in the same way that the 6" barrel on the Model 19 messes up balance and pointability.
Mike I just double checked and I'm correct I don't have a 4" 19.

I don't know, but I'd agree that it's pretty darned good, as is its big brother, which I like even better, the Redhawk 4.2" (in .45 colt, please).

MWM - what, exactly, are we looking at there, please?

"As I said the only actual 4" 357 I have is a stainless Python."

Souless steel with a ventilated rib?

My God, man, have you no shame? No dignity? :D

weblance[/quote said:
Bill Ruger, while proud of his first double action revolver, the Security Six, and its siblings, decided that it couldn't stand the constant pounding from the 357 cartridge, so the GP100 was designed to handle that.

I was positive I remember reading somewhere that the Six Series showed deterioration after continuous firing of full power 357 loads, and one of the reasons the GP100 was developed was to address that issue. I have spent several hours looking through my collection of information on the Six series, and GP100, and cant find that reference. I will back off the statement I made, that the Six Series cant handle continuous firing of full power 357 loads.

Not THE greatest...

I prefer the prior Security Six series of Ruger revolvers, actually. My vote for greatest Double Action ever is the four inch Smith & Wesson Combat Magnum - model 19.

The GP 100 is a fine revolver in many regards, but I do NOT like the full length under-lug on revolvers. It simply adds weight for no purpose. And for those who want to claim it keeps the muzzle down in recoil, it also makes it slower to get back ON target following recoil. The larger cylinder is more mass to start and stop every time one fires a round as well.

But everyone has their own tastes and do not benefit from my vast experience and keen intellect. (Anyone put off by this statement should check on the phrase, "... dry wit ...")

Well, I got to see a Wiley Clapp gp100 today at a big sporting goods shop.

Long story short....$850 out the door? Meh.

Sloppy crane/frame fit, large gap
Large burr above forcing cone as others have described
Mediocre trigger
Loose feeling
Cheesy fiber optic front sight

I did like the grips and the finish looked like it would stand up to a lot. But honestly, quality has been dropping across the board on revolvers it seems.

If my trooper mkIII had a ruger firing pin assembly, I'd be a happy camper....and I just paid $650 for a 586-2 which hopefully will be here next week so I feel no loss in not having a gp100 in the stable....maybe if an older blued or stainless model comes up that's as well fitted as my sp101 for under $500 I will snap it up, but not if there is a nice s&w or colt next to it.

Last edited:
Well, I got to see a Wiley Clapp gp100 today at a big sporting goods shop.

Long story short....$850 out the door? Meh.

Whoa!!! Mine was $690 plus tax, just under $740 out the door. I wouldn't buy it at $850. I love mine, but that's steep!

I owned/have owned every revolver ever made. I bought two in the early eighties, a model 19 Smith and a Police service six. I still own both. The Smith cost me $300, the Ruger was $100. That was what I remember paying for them 30 years ago. My GP100 cost $500 about 5 years ago, and is a fine revolver. The best ever made, no. here's a pic of the Model 19 and Ruger:

a032.jpg

a006.jpg

I have been following this since the thread started and it has been interesting. The problem is its all personal opinion and its worth what it’s written on.;)
I would like some rich guy to buy several guns that compare to the Ruger and shoot 10,000 rounds through each of magnums and see which works best. New in the box 19 and 27, Colt trooper and python and even a Taurus.
Now that would be fun.
Then again that would be worthless since it would only be a test of 1 of each type.

I owned/have owned every revolver ever made.
Korth?
Chiappa Rhino?
Llama?
JP Sauer & Sohn?
Mateba?
Seville?
Astra?
Freedom?
S&W Governor?
Magnum Research BFR?
Excam?
USFA?
Arminius?
Merwin & Hulbert?
DMAX?

How about the Taurus Raging Thirty, the double action .30 Carbine-chambered revolver? Did you own one of those? :confused:

Back