Is the caliber debate over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone hear of this new caliber 7.5 from FM BRNO. They say it as the "45,weight,40,recoil,44,power".The 7.5 FK system they have a new gun for it also. Take a look at it fkbrno.com It looks really cool to me. What say you?

Uh. OK but I don't need a $5000.00 pistol to get the same performance from a 9x25 Dillon.

It has been for 100+yrs! 9mm is the BEST auto cartridge available! Not because some US agency, or military chose it, Germans developed and fought TWO World Wars with it! Because the cartridge is best available, is why agencies/military around the world choose it!

Best for whom and what?? Opinions vary widely.

Note that the US fought AND WON two world wars with the .45ACP. SO, that argument doesn't go far with me.

Also note the world wide popularity of the 9mm Luger round (and the Mauser 98 rifle) were in large part because the German makers marketed them to the world. And very successfully. The US firearms industry did not focus as heavily on that as Germany did.

Military & police agencies have different criteria and priorities than I do. Those organizations LIKE what is the best, but USE what ever works well enough to suit their needs.

Individual handgun round effectiveness (stopping power, or any other name you give it) is what aids most for individual user survivability. That's why we, as individuals tend to focus on it heavily.

The military does NOT do this. Individual survivability ranks BELOW mission success. Soldiers ARE expendable resources. I'm NOT.

The great caliber debate will be over when there is nothing left of the proverbial dead horse to beat upon.

But what round killed the dead horse? :D

Having some data analysis skills, my take is that we do not have the data or methodology to discern small differences between the rounds under consideration, given the confounding of platform and skill of shooter.

So we shout slogans and ancedotes.

It has been for 100+yrs! 9mm is the BEST auto cartridge available! Not because some US agency, or military chose it, Germans developed and fought TWO World Wars with it! Because the cartridge is best available, is why agencies/military around the world choose it!

I am a big fan of 9 mm. It is what I carry a very high percentage of the time. It is what I shoot best. I have done my research and have concluded that a quality 9 mm HP is sufficient for self-defense. I like that I can carry 10+1 rounds in a light, easily concealed weapon.

With that said, best is a very subjective judgement in auto cartridges, calibers, weapons, or most anything else. Put rounds on target quickly with any service weapon and you probably win. Fail to do that in a self-defense situation with a .454 Cassul and you probably lose. Everything else is just conversation.

The Germans lost using the world's best rounds, 7 and9mm, and using the example of a team of two time losers is fallacy.

The Germans were disarmed for a period, and in the meantime and over many years, those other foreigners made it popular, but get serious, it was American ingenuity that turned a barely adequate mouse gun into a ravening hollow pointed death giving device that still is inferior to the .45. American bred and refined the .45 into a superior artifact capable of nearly unholy destruction. If we hadn't created it, Abracanastiness, the great war God from the depths of the very deepest level of the hell that is worse than any other hell would have dangled it like a ripe plum before the most evil souls in the universe, along with the promise of immortality as long as they spread evil and chaos throughout all of society.

Did you notice that Saddam Hussein wound up being hanged? He was using the nine mm.

There seems to no consensus among rifle shooters as to what is THE cartridge, why should pistol and revolver shooters be any different ? Handgun rounds are not as easy to create wildcats with, hence handgunners rely more on factory ammunition IMHO. In SD only the hits count, caliber is somewhat secondary.

The difference is that we shoot everything from cane toads to Burmese crested elephants with rifles. For the most part semiautomatic cartridges are used for dogs, hogs, dingos, and dorks. You don't normally elk hunt with a 1911. Using anything bigger than a .45/10mm is the top level necessary for a carry weapon.

Anyone can carry anything, and I'm just as happy as I can be if they can safely haul a 29 around. Other than swat or other s special needs shooters, what makes something bigger than these two handgun rounds necessary?

All of the pontification is useless if you are unable to make solid hits consistently under stress.:cool:

The performance of service pistol cartridges is very close in actual shootings. I really have seen no improvement in bullets in the last 30 years. LEO's are still shooting at people a zillion times to get them to stop.

The old school ISP load - 9BPLE is still as effective as it was 30 years ago. Wiz bang bullets just cost more money.

Anything coming out of the Federal Government these days is Bravo Sierra. 9mm as good as the .40? More Bravo Sierra. You make the call

Quit reading Internet forums and go shoot a .40. If you can't shoot a Glock or an HK or a Sig or an M&P .40, you're not physically fit enough to be an LEO.

LOL. I don't know if it's a thinking man's caliber. It is a violent round that does what it was designed to do and it's only gotten better since I was introduced to it in 1993.

LOL. I don't know if it's a thinking man's caliber. It is a violent round that does what it was designed to do and it's only gotten better since I was introduced to it in 1993.

No argument that it is a fine choice. I don't shoot it as well as I do 9 mm, so I generally carry 9 mm. I shoot it enough to be confident carrying it. Whether 9 mm is as good as .40 really doesn't matter much to me. It is perfectly capable of doing what I carry it for. It has been doing that for a while now, and it too has only gotten better. Carry what you like. I am fit enough to carry .40 if I wanted to. Most of us are. Don't be offended if we don't.

Is the Great Debate over? Ha! It will be over when everybody on Earth is dead. Actually probably not then either. I'm sure it's going on right now upstairs - and possibly downstairs.

The caliber debates are the meat and potato of the forums, it'll never go away.

In the near future we'll be debating over 14mm vs 61 cal. :p

Well, if we can not agree on the best gun to use, I guess it makes sense we can not agree on what cartridge to use it with. Enjoy reading though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back