Is ammo more available in your area/ prices stabilized or dropping?

I saw Recoil Gun Works got in a nice shipment of ammo.

https://www.recoilgunworks.com

BLAZER BRASS 9MM 115GR FMJ - 1000RD CASE PRICE: $594.99
Manufacturer: Cci/SpeerItem# RG-CCI5200-CASE IN STOCK

SPEER LAWMAN 9MM 115GR TMJ - 1000RD CASE PRICE: $624.95
Manufacturer: Cci/SpeerItem# RG-SP53650-CASE IN STOCK

I was on the CCI web site today and ordered a fair amount of 22. You will have to scroll through a bunch of not available stuff to find what is available. I ordered 10 boxes of Federal 40gr 22 for $3.99 a box and some CCI Velocitor $9.99 box. You get free shipping on orders of $99 or more if you don't hit the $99 it is $12 shipping. This is the third order I have placed in as many days.
https://www.cci-ammunition.com

My local Walmart is no longer even pretending. They've filled the ammo section with a bunch of other stuff they want locked up like the more expensive scopes and such.
The unlocked ammo section that used to house shotguns shells now has gun cases and similar.
There aren't even tags for ammo on the shelves anymore.

One Walmart that stopped selling ammo had shotgun ammo in stock
Academy had ammo in stock today, including CCI Mini Mags, my favorite .22lr. Shotshells there as well along with some various other cartridges
Local gun range got 100K rounds of 9mm in from an Alabama maker; pricing around 60 cents or so

Availability is up and prices are down. We still have a long way to go but it's encouraging. Honestly, if you're really short it wouldn't be a bad idea to start buying small amounts now and cost average your way down.

Found some 30-06

I found some 30-06 at the local big box hardware store. Paid $1.50 a shot. That's a good bit more than normal. But can't shoot the new-to-me Garand without any ammo so . . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young

^^
I paid close to that for 30-30 win ammo 2 weeks ago (about $1.70/rd). Still don’t understand why hunting ammo costs more than cartridges like 9mm and 223/556. Is it because less of it is being produced?

In upstate NY there have been only occasional sightings of ammo, and its usually gone before I get to the stores.
Based on the range brass buckets at the local range most people are only shooting 22lr.

Standing in the store yesterday explaining to a customer that Remington is shipping a lot of ammo, and in walks the UPS guy with his cart loaded down with boxes of Remington ammo. Point made!

Standing in the store yesterday explaining to a customer that Remington is shipping a lot of ammo, and in walks the UPS guy with his cart loaded down with boxes of Remington ammo. Point made!
What store? How much was the cost for 9MM. I have not seen a single round come in at my local LGS. Are you saying all stores are shipping carts of Remington ammo into them? Not what my LGS say's.

Wikiarms is showing ammo prices edging downward for 223/556 at .56 to .60rd. It had been at .70/rd+ for a year. Haven’t seen much locally yet but I’m planning an ammo run today and will report back

Just got back from scheels and as I walked up to the ammo aisle several workers were stocking out a full pallet of PMC bronze 223 fmj bt. .64/rd, limit of 100 per customer. This is the first time since last summer that I’ve seen this much of anything

Stopped at Scheels again today and the .223 ammo from last week was still there. They also had quite a bit of Aguila 5.56 stock that were being sold in bulk packs of 300 @ .73/round. Ammo’s slowly coming back but prices still suck

High ammo prices are here to stay for a long time. Not only the fact crime that is rising because of nonsense like de-funding the police etc. but also because every thing has seen a price increase. Copper, Steel, lumber, grocery items, gas Prices, Import shipping cost increasing, container import shipping cost and prices on everything and on and on. It is a different world and changing for the worst each month. I suspect that hopefully they will start to manufacturer more rimfire 22.cal. Even if now paying for a box of 50 rds is about the same cost the range 9mm was in normal times, it may be the only way high volume shooters can at least make it to the range as frequently as we did before.
I have a hard time seeing post on this forum and posters bragging about how cheap they found a box of 9mm at $29.00 or close to that price. My God that is a lot of money. I really believe that the advertising of such prices are going to do nothing but aid the ammo manufactures in the long term. People are adjusting to those prices, it is no longer sticker shock. Ammo manufacturers are not out to help the gun community, they are in it for the money. And they will milk it anyway they can. And this is not good for the sport.

Last edited:
Ammo manufacturers are not out to help the gun community, they are in it for the money. And they will milk it anyway they can. And this is not good for the sport.

I disagree. Raw materials have gone up in price as you mentioned earlier in your post. Ammo companies have to draw a profit to stay in business, otherwise no ammo. I watched a video on YouTube where an ammo company spokesman said the cost of primers alone costs .15, compared to two years ago when they were .02. Thing is, demand is still high and will continue to be high. If my LGS dropped their ammo prices to pre-pandemic levels with no limits I guarantee we’ll be back to square one

Higher prices are needed right now to maintain inventory. You ideal want to sell out right before the next shipment comes in. When you have people waiting in line for the store to open and it sells out in minutes even with limits —- the price is to far below market.

That was the case just a month or so ago. Either supply is up or retailers have increased prices enough to keep it from selling out in minutes.

9mm less than 50 cents a round doesn’t last on the shelves. .223 below 60 cents around doesn’t last either.

Let’s say the fair market price right now with current supply for 9mm is 55 cents a round.

Would you rather stores charge that price or folks buy it up and resell it for 55 cents a round or have limits (which were failing at 35-40 cents a round).

I like having it available even if I don’t buy it.

Carl the Floor Walker said:
Ammo manufacturers are not out to help the gun community, they are in it for the money. And they will milk it anyway they can. And this is not good for the sport.

Do us all a favor and let us know when you set up your own non-profit ammunition manufacturing plant. Can't wait to buy 9mm Ammo for whatever price you think is reasonable.

Back