is .270 an ok round for MOOSE

yorec

15' tall does seem a bit of a stretch... :rolleyes:

However, I've looked pretty closely and...

In one of the photos the happy hunter is holding a tine and it makes it look like the "spread" must be more that 7 feet????

If that is so, I think it isn't really unfeasible that the Bull which stands at 6 or 7 feet at the "hump", could actually be 15 feet at the tines???

Especially those tines!!!! :eek:

Last edited:
yorec,
Eastern variety, a little bit bigger than a Shiras, not quite as a big as an Alaskan/Yukon subspecies. Not the biggest specimen taken, but a fair average. Most of the people seem to find moose in the 700-800 pound range (that's field dressed; on the hoof runs heavier obviously). There ARE bigger monsters out there, as witnessed by the full-body mount of two 1000+ lb behemoths that became locked together while fighting.

Of course, I had one guy tell me two or three years ago of his friend bagging a 300 pound moose. He was quite proud. I decided not to ask if mommy was still present when the guy whacked the baby.

And Pointer, while I understand your point, watch some of the shooters you see at the range sometime shoot anything more potent than a 7mm Magnum or .30-06. Actually, I have seen enough people flinch and twitch when firing .30-30s and .308s, so scratch that. I subscribe to the theory of accurate shot placement and sufficient penetration. A heavy .270 round should be adequate for MOST occasions. A .30-06 would seem to be better in my mind, and a .338 or .45-70 great. But the shooter must still hit the target where it counts.

Yep, P-990. Your eastern Moose is, I think, a Canadian. There are only three subspecies of moose in North America by Boone and Crocket/Pope and Young standards - Shiras, Canadian, and the Yukon/Alaskan. You must be talking about a Canadian moose. (The Canadian moose also is divided into eastern and western sub groups - see link)

But I just wondered what subspecies this Russian fellow falls under - after researching a little, looks like he's a Siberian. It didn't strike me as a world record contender for Yukon/Alaskan moose, but would easily be the best of the Shiras moose. I don't know for Canadian. But maybe he's a contender for Siberian subspecies all together?

But 15' tall -
If that is so, I think it isn't really unfeasible that the Bull which stands at 6 or 7 feet at the "hump", could actually be 15 feet at the tines???
That's another 8 feet in height... What's he doing, taking his antlers off and balancing them on the top of his head, one end sticking straight up? Nope, still don't believe it, lol. And that 7' spread you think you see is a camera perspective trick. Not really that wide, but it looks so...

Hey were's our deer guy, Jack O'Conner? Moose are deer too!

( Some good Moose info.)

Young man, of course a 270 is adequate for a moose. Many magnum blasters feel that a super over bore heat seeking bone crushing eyeball crossing round is necessary for whitetails, let alone a moose. Well it ain't so. Spend your time familiarizing yourself with your firearm, the anatomy of your prey, and the woods around you. I will take a good man in the woods over a magnum any time.

There is no such thing as a Bad caliber- Only Bad Shots -taken by Bad hunters-making Bad decisions.
Shot placement and accuracy (Combined with a little common sense) are the ONLY things that are truly important when the gun goes off.

And that 7' spread you think you see is a camera perspective trick. Not really that wide, but it looks so...

My oh my!
Why on airth didn't ah think of thet? :confused:
I mus not be as smart ya'll... what a hayseed...

One thing f'shur... I don't think they stood it up and measured it...
Aw heck, they musta been gestamatin"... d'ya think? :rolleyes:

Why, to be "honist", I dun some zaggeratin' time to time...
specially when I'uz 'cited...

Mebbe, thet bull had 8 foot leggs?

I also have piturs of a little ole cow moose inside of a woman's house... she feeds it?

Damnedest thing... the cow had to duck down to get inside 'thout bumpin' her haid on the dor frame! And she stands flat-footed outside and eats from the kitchen sink inside thru the winder... now ain't thet sumpin'...

Mebbe's jes mor tricky piturs, like you say... I'z too unseein' to notis it tho.

I guess mebbe thet Bullmoose is really ony 13 feet and that rack s'ony a puny little 6 feet.

Now you mention it... I got a baby sister that could kill a puny bull like thet with Pappy's squirrel gun?

Don't need no new-fangled thutty thutty odd sex

:o

Pointer

I wouldn't go Moose hunting with a .270, or a spear either for that matter! (becasue i have a bigger gun that shoot pretty well)

quote: I don't believe this argument "holds water"...

Somewhere in all of my books I have an old (1968?) Gun Digest with an article on the 7x57. The article has photo's to back it up. When I say large, I'm not talking about Rhino's and Elephants, I think the animals were Gemsbok, Kudu, Zebra,Lion, etc. While they may not be world-record moose, or even close to runner-ups, it still shows that you don't have to go with a huge rifle to kill large animals. I'm a firm believer in one clean shot and if the thread starter has a bigger gun that he can shoot well, then he should use it.

I suppose with the waiting period to get the tag, there's plenty of time to come by and learn a bigger rifle, if he's serious about making his opportunity pay off. Think of it this way, you've waited 2 years to get the chance for this shot, why blow the opportunity because you don't have enough rifle? I agree with you completely on this point.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's your shot placement that counts more than anything. What if you had shot that big moose in the hindquarter w/ that .338? or low in the belly? Because you hadn't spent the time to learn your rifle thoroughly? (although I'd want to be closer with the .270) A well placed .270 hit would be far superior would it not? Ballistics tables/data do not make up for time not spent on the shooting range when it comes to clean kills. Lots of cartridges will give the penetration and expansion needed to kill a moose. I killed mine from 50 feet with a 55# bow (heh thats a story all by itself as anyone thats been that close to an animal that can kill will attest)

Ok. with all that said, I give up. Get a bigger rifle for gods sake, (and the moose's), take that rifle to the range and practice, practice, practice until you are certain you can shoot it at all angles, temperatures, humidities, and ranges. You have time to do this, don't wait until the last minute to start.

I killed mine from 50 feet
...with a bow. Yikes! Brave man. :eek:

Pointer about has me convinced now. His logic is sound. I'd still try it if a .270 was all I had, but now if I go on a canada trip, I'll definitely have something bigger. Ideally, a .338, .35 whelen, or .45-70, but worst case scenario, 7mm remmag or .30-06 minimum. It's just that I like the .270 so much - I have a lot of confidence in it, so it's hard to believe that it wouldn't smoke a moose easily. But then again, I've never seen a creature that huge in person (other than head mounts). And it's noteworthy, as an example, that a 220-gr .30-06 loading represents a 37.5% increase in bullet weight over a heavy 160 gr .270 round - over 1/3rd more bullet.

OK everybody

The .270 is OK, but barely OK...

It is MORE than OK with the right rifleman...

You have my "permission" to use the .270 on any critter you choose...

You also have my sanction to search the bush for your downed animal...

With the right bullets... you can kill anything on earth with a .270...

Is it OK for elephant? THAT DEPENDS ON YOU!

Moose? THAT DEPENDS ON YOU!

Is it common sense? THAT DEPENDS ON YOU!

There is ample evidence and photos presented in this thread to assist you in making YOUR decision...

THAT, ALSO, DEPENDS ON YOU!

I don't trust most of you... to use common-sense or self-restraint or place your shot well, in ALL circumstances under ALL conditions...

WHY? Because, I know myself, and I don't trust ME to be that level-headed and mature about it!

And that is the bottom line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :D :eek: :D

IMO I would feel more than comfortable to take my .30-06 Moose hunting, comfortable enough that it is a tossup between my .30-06 and my .450 marlin. Granted I have the range with one and not the other but....
Obviously the famous Jack O Conner killed more animals with his beloved .270 than anything else.
It depends on the shooter. Like everyone else says.

Back