is .270 an ok round for MOOSE

shureshot0471- the .308 is virtually identical to the 30-06 and .270.

youngbuck- I think that in your scenario, one of the 7mm magnums would be fine. If you don't want the same cartridge as your father, them there are the 7mm WSM, 7mm STW, 7mm RSAUM, and 7mm Weatherby. If you want the .270, as I've said previously, it should be OK for moose, and great on any whitetail.

but you can handload a 308 to match or exceed factory 30-06 rounds, plus surplus ammunition for a 308 is more abundant for target/practice rounds

The .270 with good ammo and 140 grain bullets will drop a moose like a ton of bricks. No premium bullets nor magnums required either. Shot placement is critical with any calibre.
"...30-06 is more powerful than 308..." No it isn't. The only difference is about 100 fps with most bullet weights, the ability to use slightly heavier bullets in the .30-06 and a half inch of case. Ballistically they're identical.
youngbuck, you considered old enough to hunt where you live? Just curious. Here in Ontario, 12 year olds can, after taking all the safety courses, hunt with supervision.
JohnKSa, if you think our migratory mice are big and dangerous, you should see the mice that stay here over the winter.

but you can handload a 308 to match or exceed factory 30-06 rounds, plus surplus ammunition for a 308 is more abundant for target/practice rounds

Yes, but you can hanload .30-06 to match .300 Win. Mag. ballistics. If you don't believe me, check the Federal High Energy ammo. The .30-06 can be loaded even hotter than that, but it is not suggested for older rifles.

Youngbuck, the .30-06 will definitely work for moose. If you want more power just get the high energy ammo I perviously mentioned, but a 180 gr. bullet of good quality (Nosler Partitions, Barnes Triple Shock, Bonded Bear Claw, etc. will easily take down moose).

How do you like your Model 94. I am 16 and a have a Winchester 94 Legacy. It's really a great rifle, especially for the dense woods of PA. Have fun and be safe.
-Dave

Yes, but you can hanload .30-06 to match .300 Win. Mag. ballistics. If you don't believe me, check the Federal High Energy ammo. The .30-06 can be loaded even hotter than that, but it is not suggested for older rifles.

Watch it if your using Claw type bolt action rifles they might brust on you! :eek:

Dont over do the 30-06. Its a fine round but reloading to thouse kinds of velocities is dangours. I suggest you forget about overloading to thouse levels with most guns and the safety issue its not worth the risk. :(

You want to live till your a grandfather dont you ?? :cool:

Dimitri

Young buck don't listen to T.O. in the UNITED STATES of AMERICA any body of any age can hunt unless you are a convicted felon then you cant but you need to check into the hunters safety course in THE GREAT STATE of TEXAS any born after a certain date must have one that would be my only concern I am proud to see a young man of your age so instred in huntin you should turn out fine do check your calibers on that moose gun first I have never hunted them but I have hunted alot and even though I love the .270 or meatstick should I say not to offend him I just don't think outside of 200 yards there wont be enough power and to let you all know http://www.federalcartridge.com/default.asp?pg=27&firearm= go here and compare the factory loads what the books are written buy and compare your loads and keep in mind that most all companies are pretty close together on their loading I think most of you will be surprised what yall see like Art said one time do your studin before you argue:D :D :D

shureshot0471 - T. O'Heir's question about age resrictions is valid. There are resrictions on how old you have to be to obtain a hunting license, and they do vary from state to state. In ID, you must be 12. And I am unaware of any laws against convicted felons hunting. Can you show an official reference?

I know of a old Indian on a Canandian Reserve who regularly takes moose with a 30-30...

And has been known to use a .22LR (behind the ear)... :D

Yes a .270 is OK for moose... but just OK... :p

The range makes a considerable difference...

A .300 Weatherby is infinitely better at any feasible range. :)

And to demtri and dave hand loading like that can be dangrous not sugusted by most I dont know but I think most people will agree

:eek: I wasnt suggesting that he over load like that I was agisnt it. :p

Dimitri

.270 for moose?

You arent serious, are you?, its barely enough for white tial. Unless you are good enough to sink one right into his eyeball.

Last edited:
The 270 will work for moose. Be sure to use a bullet designed for heavy game and place your shot correctly in the heart/lung area. I know on old native that uses a 243 with one shot kills every time. He just sneaks in close, and makes it count. His hunting buddy uses a 30-30. Just make sure that you stay within your abilities.

The 270 will work for moose. Be sure to use a bullet designed for heavy game and place your shot correctly in the heart/lung area
+ 1 Marmark
I equate the 270 for Moose, the same as the 243 for Deer. It will work fine but bullet selection and shot placement are critical.

Youngbuck
Considering where you live and if your looking for an all around rifle ,if it were me I would go for a 30-06, it has greater flexibility than the 270. You could hunt everything from badger to brown bear with the 06. The 06 is an old, proven caliber that has a wide range of factory ammo available plus its cheaper than 270 to buy. The 06 will handle any animal on this is continent except maybe polar bear.

The 308 or 7mm would be a very good choice, just not as flexible your limited to about 180 gr bullets, which is fine for everything except the very large, dangerous game.

Young buck don't listen to T.O. in the UNITED STATES of AMERICA any body of any age can hunt
I would be careful about making such broad statements.
Hunting is a privilege not a right, as such it is governed by the individual states which all have different laws plus there are Federal laws. I only know the NC/Federal laws and nothing about the other 49 states.

I've got 2 boxes of Nosler partition 160 grainers for .277 which I plan to load up - I would think those would do the job WELL on a moose.

I've used a .270 on both the moose hunts I've been on. Here is one I put on the wall (please excuse the pic and all the "goodies" on the beasts, it's the only one I had handy);)

Attachments

• bushcow muley (2).jpg
    bushcow muley (2).jpg
    95 KB · Views: 77
The only moose i have seen shot (while hunting, i have seen two shot with 357 mags, but they had already been taken down by hitting cars) was shot with a 280, nearly identical to a .270. If I remember the bullet was a 160 grain Nosler partition, I know it was a Nosler partition, but i think it was a 160 grainer, took about five steps then went to its knees and then rolled over. Bullet has gone thru near ribs, heart and lungs and broken the far side chest wall, and smashed the far shoulder. Not a great blood trail, but the moose was dead when we got there.

Separate from shooting meese:

Don't ever believe you can handload a .308 to more muzzle velocity than a handloaded '06. You'll most likely blow primers, if not the case-head.

Trying to hot-rod an '06 up to .300 WinMag is in the same category of No-No. I come close to equalling the WinMag with my '06, but that's because my rifle has a 26" barrel, and most WinMags are 24". There is approximately a 150 ft/sec loss in the WinMag muzzle velocities compared to standard published figures. Considering the barrel-length factor, "come close" is the operative idea. No way, "equal".

Whether little ol' central Texas whitetails or a big ol' moose, 200 ft/sec isn't gonna make one iota of difference in bullet effectiveness. It's all about where the bullet hits.

Art

Back