is .270 an ok round for MOOSE

shureshot, you're posts are extremely difficult to read and very hard to understand. Have you ever heard of using periods?

You arent serious, are you?, its barely enough for white tial.

Are you serious yourself? The .270 has been considered one of the finest North American hunting cartridges ever made. The .270 will easily take white-tails. I would say maybe something like a .223 or .243 is "barely" enough for white-tails. I've taken many of them with a 357Mag revolver pumping about 550ft/lbs at 50yds. People here in Colorado take Elk every year with .270 rifles, how can it barely be enough for white-tails.

As I indicated in my earlier post...

The .270 is BARELY acceptible for moose...

But why use BARELY and limit yourself...

The POSSIBLY rare failure of the shot is simply not worth it... :rolleyes:

Is .22LR OK for MOOSE?... that depends on whether you're OK with wounding and torture/murdering the "meese" once in awhile... :(

I'd rather have a near miss of the vitals with a .338/.340 than a near miss of the vitals with a 30-06... (I have killed elk with 30-06 and seen them dumped with .308's and they fell within 20 feet of POI with the exception of one .308 frontal/chest hit and that one fell after about 300 yards of running... the .270 ain't even in the picture...

And the .243 is not a reliable cartridge for deer either...

That one, as I reported on another thread, was witnessed by ample hunters to have hit a large buck at 200 yards which ran for 200 more yards while the very excellent "Annie Oakley" shooter put 4 more rounds into that deer... all 5 shots were inside of a pie-plate sized group!!!

I'll never own a .243... :p

...and, as I said, for MOOSE, the .270 ain't even in the picture! :D :D :D

If your new to hunting I would just be on the safe side and go with the 300 win mag. But if your a very good shot, and know the anatomy of a moose,
then I don't see why you couldn't get the job done with a .270!
Just my opinion though.

BFF

Just to throw my 2 cents in. I started off deer hunting with a 30-30 and if I took a shoulder shot they always dropped.
I got a hand me down .280 that I almost feel bad shooting a deer with because I know I'm going to blow a huge hole in it I could probally fit my fist through. I have been raised that shot placement is more important than giant Calibars. If you are falling back on a giant bullet because you have no confidence in your shooting then you shouldn't be shooting at a animal anyway. I personally believe a 30-06 could do the task at hand for you in just about any situation if you are confident in your shooting and practice. I actually missed my first deer this year because I had no skill in judgeing range when shooting down hill off of a shelf. I have since bought a laser range finder so it doesn't happen again. whatever you end up getting shoot shoot shoot shoot know your range and skill and make sure you don't exceed it. Happy hunting and good luck

If you use a good 150 grain bullet (partition, Interbond) and put it in the right place the moose will fall over contrary to what many people say. a .460 Weatherby magnum is believe it or not overkill for moose many many thousands of moose have been taken with the humble .30-30

With regards to moose and calibers, well, I would be very, very comfortable stating that the majority of moose taken between NH, VT and probably ME as well during our annual hunts are more than likely taken by: .30-06, .308, .270, .30-30 and .35 Remington.

I had a customer at work a few weeks ago show me a picture of his 10 yr old grandson with a dead bison shot with an '06 on a game farm, in Maine I believe. And last year one of my coworkers brothers dumped Bullwinkle with two hits from an '06. The first was lethal, but Bullie didn't know it and needed a second to convince him to hit the ground.

Honestly, I'd have faith in a .44 Magnum pistol or rifle, and we all KNOW how inferior that round is to all of the "real rifle" cartridges listed! :p

A lot of the adequacy questions involve what kind of hunt you're going to be on. Are you hunting from a stand, or walking? Are you hunting locally, or using your yearly vacation to travel out to an area and shoot your moose?

This all bears on what kind of shots you'll be able to pass up. If you're stand hunting, you stand a lot better chance of being able to choose your shot, and take a nice seated shot with a rest for penpoint accuracy on a standing beast. A lesser caliber can work.

If you're walking 'em up, you're going to be shooting at a less optimal target.

If you're local, you can likely bring yourself to say "Not perfect-- I'll come back tomorrow." If you're an itinerent hunter, this may be your one shot at the beast.
If this is your shot:
attachment.php
, then you'd best chamber a premium bullet in a proven moose caliber, or pass up the shot.

Even worse if this is your shot:
attachment.php
Given that moose range from quarterhorse to percheron-size or larger, I'd have to venture that .270s need not apply here. :) An '06 with a good 180g would be about minimum, with a .338 and a 250 or 275g bullet being a whole lot better.

But if your moose is doing this:
attachment.php
, at moderate range, and you've got a .270 loaded with a heavy, quality bullet of known accuracy, I'd have trouble keeping a straight face while telling a man that a shot would be out of the question. :)

Attachments

• Running moose.JPG
    Running moose.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Running moose2.JPG
    Running moose2.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Docile moose in the open.JPG
    Docile moose in the open.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 204
So all in all lets say this if you are going to hunt moose then get something bigger that the .270. Because long Path has let me relize something who's to say that all moose are going to be standing at 100 yards broad side go with a bigger gun that would be your safe bet. :D :D :D

Here in Newfoundland the most common caliber's for are the .270 and .303. They have taken more then their share of moose. I personally know of many people who also swear by the mighty .243 and 30-30 to bring home the meat. I have witnessed a moose shot at 400 yards with a .243. Took two steps and dropped dead. On inspection, there was a small hole in the heart. Not an ounce of meat ruined at all!

It doesn't matter what you bring in the woods, just learn to shoot the thing! The big calibers ruin too much meat for most people....I personally use a .308 using 150 grain factory hornady ammo. Never had any problems at all. The .270 will be fine!!!

World Record Bull Moose

Size: 15 Feet Tall at the tines!
Weight: 2300 Pounds !!
Weapon: .338 Winchester Magnum @ 350 Yards
Cost: $20,000 Plus Trophy Shipment and Taxidermy

I would post the photos...
But I don't know how... :confused:

Is .270 OK for moose? :rolleyes:
Decide for yourself...

EDIT

Capt Charlie said he would post the pictures for me.

Last edited:
For that RANGE at which it was taken, the .338 is the preferred weapon. But under 200 yards (the more typical shot), that moose would be just as dead with a .270. I was just reading yesterday about the second biggest typical whitetail rack buck ever scored (and for many years it was the record holder), taken by a .25-20 win, neck shot.

excuses, excuses... :rolleyes:

IF you can shoot at only 10 yards... even a .243 could be used as could a spear...

That argument would also apply to the 22-250, or for that matter, the .22LR...

The fact remains... it is not "OK for moose" as this thread has asked.

Yet, there are those who will let their emotions rule their minds... :(

That argument would also apply to the 22-250, or for that matter, the .22LR...

No, it wouldn't at all. World of difference. Apples vs. radiators.

The fact remains... it is not "OK for moose" as this thread has asked.

I just think you're flat out mistaken:

With regards to moose and calibers, well, I would be very, very comfortable stating that the majority of moose taken between NH, VT and probably ME as well during our annual hunts are more than likely taken by: .30-06, .308, .270, .30-30 and .35 Remington.

Here in Newfoundland the most common caliber's for are the .270 and .303. They have taken more then their share of moose. I personally know of many people who also swear by the mighty .243 and 30-30 to bring home the meat.

Did you see everything the guys wrote above, that actually live there? A 160 gr .277 bullet like a nosler partition will penetrate BETTER than the same weight, or even a slightly heavier .30 cal bullet. Jack O'Connor sure was convinced that it was fine, and he knew a thing or two about hunting very large game.

I do not doubt, for a minute, that the .270 is "OK" for specific shots on moose.

Someone in an earlier post said it was good for this 98% of the time... :rolleyes:

Someone else posted a very good set of moose pictures and added a very good set of reasons NOT to use a .270 on moose.

It is important to "agree" on what defines "OK"...

A complement to the people who "live there" and take moose all the time with .270... :)

A curse on those who wound moose and elk and never find them... :mad:
These, last, are not likely to call attention to themselves and post here that they have merely damaged a few moose in their lifetime.

There is no telling how many wounded or "slow kills" were directly caused by not using enough gun...
The ONLY thing that consoles me... is that modern bullet construction has, theoretically, diminished that "imaginary number". :(

ONLY, as I have said before, the most disciplined and finest marksmen, in the best of conditions, should consider using a .270 on moose.

I stated in another thread that I saw a good shot, in the chest, at 100 yards, on a bull elk... the bull ran over 300 yards and it took a search party of about 50 hunters to locate it! That was shot with a .308 Win using a Nosler Partition bullet... and looking at the hit on the dead animal proved it to be well-placed!

If you wound, or slow-kill, any game animal due to not enough gun...
It is unacceptable.

I simply do not trust the average forum reader to excercise restraint when the conditions aren't right.

If you are reading this post, please take another look at the whole thread... ;) :)

Last edited:
Pointer

I think we'd all like to see the photos of that world record moose. If you'll e-mail them to me, I'll post them for you :) .

Capt

I'll try...

But, I'm not sure I know how to do that either...

I'll attempt it right now...

EDIT

I just forwarded it to you.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Back