is .270 an ok round for MOOSE

youngbuck

Inactive
i am thinking on getting a gun because i have been saving. I think i am going to get a savage classic in .270. I live in minnesota and I mostly hunt whitetails but i wont the oppsion to hunt other things like moose. would that caliber be ok or if you have eney other opinions on what i should get plaese tell me it would be a greathelp

A 270 would work for moose, but you have to be really careful about shot placement. i would go with something bigger if recoil isnt an issue. a 30-06 would be a good caliber, but if you want a flatter shooting cartrige then i would go with a 7MM or a 300. my cousin took a moose at 400 yards using 130gr partitions with a single shot, but i think it had to do with a little bit of luck more than anything. so i would strongly recommend something bigger just so you can have a little more margin for error.

270 is a good choice for moose and deer provided you use a premium bullet, the heavier the better. A 30-06 would also be a good choice with cheap practice ammo giving you the opportunity to learn your gun for less money.

Unless you wanted to absolutely erradicate any trace of the little critter from the face of the planet - then .270 win would be merely adecuate...

As for Moose, yep with proper shot palcement and good bullets they work well every year. :cool:

Are you talking about a large and dangerous Canadian migratory mouse, or the tiny, timid, Texas field mouse. :D

From personnal experience - a .270 is just fine on mice. For moose, it's OK. Far from ideal, but it should work, given the proper premium bullets and correct shot placement.

I've taken many a mouse, and squirrel with the 270. Bullet choice doesn't seem to matter. Sometimes it's hard to find the animal though after the shot.

Personally, I think the 270 is at the low end of the caliber range for being adequate for Moose or Elk, but it is a great caliber for deer. The new Savage Model 114 American Classic is also offered in 300 Win Mag and 300 WSM and although a little big for whitetails normally in a woods setting. You may consider one of these as it gives you just a little more power for the larger beasties. Beautiful classic rifle with the walnut stock!! A possible choice would be to buy the 270 now and make do for a while with proper bullet selection/use. Then get a larger caliber rifle later for elk or moose such as a 338.

I plan to have more then one gun bet i am only 14. we have a 7mm magnum but that is my dads. I whant to buy a gun so it would be mine. i also have a winchestor 94 30-30

A 30-06 with a 180gr bullet would be a fine choise for hunting :)

After a couple of hicups with bullets less then 180gr's the moose hunters I know dont allow anything less then a 180gr they told me :)

Just something to think about seeing as in Northern Ontario its hard to find downed moose when the weather is getting bad so a bigger bullet is better ;)

Dimitri

To andrew there is not much diffrence between the .270 ang the 06' but only that the .270 is a litte more flat and just a hair more powerful but if I was going to hunt moose and deer with the same gun go with either a .308 or a .338 ultra mag I do not think a 30-06 or a .270 is very eithical choice3 for moose you migt just need to save somemore money and buy you a moose rifle
:D :D :D

a 300 MAG would be the happy medium between those calibers. i personally think that a 338 is overkill for a deer, but then again ive never had any problem with "too much gun" its all a matter of personal preference

you are right about the .338 but My belief is that you should not hunt any thing that big with any thing under a .300 I think it is unethical if you were shot would you want to suffer I love to hunt but I like to also be ethical with it so if it were me I would save up and buy a good deer caliber like a .243 a savage rifle would work then buy a good gun for your moose hunting and savage offers most big calibers I would buy a .300 for the moose hunting and you could even kill deer with it :D :D :D

Back