• stage weapons conveniently

Votes: 53 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have 2 stackon safes with a keypad that I keep my pistols in

4 digits in a row and its open ......... 2 seconds. Very quick access

In regards to paranoia.......

I met a guy who carried 5 pistols...... Always. :eek:

(I made him tell me how the heck he did it)

To me thats paranoia......... But...... Its a mostly free country.....,

I have friends that look odd at me for carrying at all.........

I have friends that look odd at me for not carrying a backup pistol.....
Or 3 mags......

At the end of the day....... I dont worry so much what others think.

The good Lord will ultimately judge me for my amount of faith in Him

Other people (ok, my wife is allowed to keep me in line) dont matter so much in regards to this topic

Last edited:
I don't like to be encumbered with a bunch of mess.

I like to keep two locked, hidden, staged guns. One in a gunvault upstairs, and one in a gunvault downstairs.

So how would you quickly access them if need be?

I've seen this misconception stated many times but still, it never fails to generate an amused head shake.

Do people think that because I take CPR and have a first aid kit in my car I'm living in constant fear of being injured?

Do people think that because I have flashlights in my cars and in my house that I'm living in constant fear of darkness?

Do people think that because I try to have a few days worth of drinking water on hand at all times that I'm living in constant fear of thirst?

Do people think that because I have fire extinguishers that I check regularly and smoke detectors that I change the batteries in regularly that I'm living in constant fear of a house fire?

Do people think that because I get my flu shot each year that I live in constant fear of getting the flu?

Do people think that because I have a gun safe, deadbolts on my doors and a security system and that I activate/lock all of them when I'm out of the house that I'm living in constant fear of being burglarized?

Why is it that I can prepare for other events, some of them quite unlikely, without being accused of living in constant fear but if I prepare for someone trying to invade my home some people assume that I must be living in constant fear?

I prepare for the possibility of a home invasion just like I prepare for the other events I listed above. I don't live in constant fear of home invasion now, nor did I live in constant fear of home invasion before I owned guns. But I do prepare for the possibility better now than I did at one time.

Guess it just depends on where you live, then.. having lived in NYC, Atlanta, Houston, Denver, ND, CO, NV and now FL, I choose to live in areas where I can (and do), leave my windows open all night when the weather is right, don't need a gun to sit and watch TV and have no constant fear about being home invaded - because it just doesn't happen where I currently live or have been before.

Do I lock my car doors in the Walmart parking lot? Sure, but that lot is miles form my home. Guess I have just been lucky enough to choose a nice neighborhood in all those states....................(right)

I also don't worry about hurricanes here in FL, or sinkholes, tornadoes or anything else.

Life is too short to live in a constant state of fear of crime - sorry, just not buying it - maybe if I lived in Detroit that would warrant a different attitude

NYC, Atlanta, Houston, Denver, ND, CO, NV and now FL...home invaded - because it just doesn't happen where I currently live or have been before.
Very minimal effort with an internet search engine will turn up home invasions in several of the places on your list. And not just a few home invasions, either.

Of course, they're not all that common anywhere (which is one reason we shouldn't live in fear), but it's a real mistake to think that they don't happen or that there are places which are immune.
...don't need a gun to sit and watch TV and have no constant fear about being home invaded...constant state of fear of crime...
As I said in the post which you quoted, I don't now, nor have I ever (even before I owned guns) lived in constant fear of anything.

I prepare for various events based on what makes sense to me, not to deal with constant fear.

Your assumption that preparation must be evidence of "constant fear" (or even fear) is incorrect.

Maybe this example will help this make sense. I carry a ScrewZall in my pocket. It's a small tool with 4 different foldout screwdriver bits. I do NOT carry it because I live in fear of loose screws or as a way to deal with the constant fear of not having a screwdriver when I need one. I carry it because it takes little or no effort for me to carry it and because it might come in handy one day.

I used to be of the mind that there was no need to carry except when I was going out, or even specifically going to a bad part of town. But I've come around to the idea of carrying all the time.
I think of it as just another article of clothing. I'm not obsessive - I don't bring s gun with me when I wake up and go to the bathroom. But putting my gun on is just part of getting dressed. I chose my carry gun specifically so that it's comfortable to wear all day, and I really don't think about it. If I'm dressed and I'm not on my way somewhere guns aren't allowed I have my gun. I also have my pocket knife, my phone and my wallet.
It's not paranoia, it's just habit. Like putting on a seat belt.
Someone here (i think maybe it was pax) once said something like "it would be more morbid to consciously decide I might have to shoot someone before putting my gun on than to just put it on as a matter of habit".
Maybe it's not the mind set for everyone, but that doesn't mean it isn't for anyone.

Incorrect assumption on your part about my statements. Preparation? sure, no issue there, like having a fire extinguisher in the kitchen; but do I need afire extinguisher in every room and need to carry one on my person 24/7? No.....and yes, while some of my former areas do have areas with issues - as I said, you can also live in those areas and not be scared about home invasions to the point where some folks here think the bad guys wait for them to go to the toilet and then break in (as opposed to what really happens, they wait until you leave and then break in). Let's face it, some folks here ARE paranoid, some folks are totally oblivious, and most of us reside somewhere in between the two extremes and can manage to go about our lives for 6-7-8 decades without the need to keep a gun in the shower, or in every room , or the need to plant claymores in the front yard in order to not only feel, but actually be safe. Stress and worry in the US is one of the biggest causes of heart attacks, stress attacks, and other mental and physical maladies. Folks who obsess TOO much need to reevaluate their personal situation - where they live, where they go daily, who they hang out with, and how they go about their day-to-day lives.

JMO, YMMV

Incorrect assumption on your part about my statements.
Everything you have said here equates a level of preparation beyond what you feel is reasonable with "living in constant fear".
Preparation? sure, no issue there, like having a fire extinguisher in the kitchen; but do I need afire extinguisher in every room and need to carry one on my person 24/7?
This is an interesting comment. It starts off with the assumption that any preparation beyond what you would do is unreasonable and then proceeds to a strawman fallacy in an attempt to reinforce the idea that only your level of preparedness is reasonable and anything beyond must be evidence of paranoia or fear.
...folks here think the bad guys wait for them to go to the toilet and then break in (as opposed to what really happens...
I don't think that's common, but it has happened. There was a serial killer with this MO. He would follow women home from healthclub and wait outside until he could hear the water running. Then assuming that they were in the shower, he would break in, retrieve a knife from the kitchen and use it to rape and kill the women.

So sometimes, that is precisely what really happens. It's not something that people should be in fear about, but it is something people should be aware of.
Folks who obsess TOO much need to reevaluate their personal situation...
That's certainly true. The problem is that your comments seem to indicate that you believe that anyone who goes beyond your level of preparation must be obsessing too much.

That is an invalid assumption. People prepare to different levels for a variety of reasons. Sometimes due to different interests or hobbies (a gun nut might focus more on firearms preparedness, a hiker might focus more on a bugout bag he could carry, a doctor might focus more on first aid items, etc.), sometimes due to differing life experiences, sometimes due to different knowledge levels, sometimes due to personality differences. And SOMETIMES due to obsessing too much.

Assuming that the last reason must be the only reason is a mistake.

Alwayson your person

I would say always on your person for many of the same reasons as other people posting on here but would like to back it up with 2 actual incidents.

First the district attorney from Texas who was killed easter weekend of this year. He was known to have staged firearms throughout his house prior to him and his wife being killed in their home. His son later stated that he had done this but had put the guns away the night before the incident because of having a party. Unless you can permanently have the guns there and never have a situation where they may need to be put away you cannot guarantee access.

The second is the NJ nanny cam video from earlier this year. If you have not seen this video I suggest fining it on youtube. A woman in NJ was home alone watching tv with her child on the couch. She heard a noise at the door and when she looked there was someone breaking in. Within a matter of a couple seconds the man was through the door and on top of her. He beat her pretty severely but she did survive. This video shows just how quickly an incident can occur. If she had a firearm stored somewhere I am doubtful she could have gotten to it.

jttp://triggertimeohio.com

If I have pants on, I'm carrying. If I don't have pants on, the gun is in the pants, hanging on the foot of the bed. When I get up in the morning, and put my pants on, I'm carrying. Just like that.

"If I have pants on, I'm carrying. If I don't have pants on, the gun is in the pants, hanging on the foot of the bed. When I get up in the morning, and put my pants on, I'm carrying. Just like that."

Same here. I have a Ruger LCP .380, which is so wee, it can be carried in a pocket of those light flannel pants (I don't like to call them pajamas, although that's what they are.) Every time I've tried to stage, I've found myself in another part of the house thinking: if someone kicked their way in right now, I'd be utterly screwed. So, I just carry the sucker and feel better about things.

Why do so many gun owners put so much mystic, emotional power into the gun

If you feel that anything I said may imbue a firearm with anything at all then it must be because that is a rationale that you developed. It certainly isn't what I was suggesting or believe.

I made the comment "like I am on a mission" in reference to a mindset of being "on". Perhaps some do not know what "on" means and it would take too long to explain it. There are certain considerations that are elevated when a person is armed which are not present or prudent when carrying a loaf of bread. When I am at home I enjoy a level of casualness that is not indicative of being "on".

Last edited:
I live in an extremely safe neighborhood.

Like most, it is readily accessible by anyone with an automobile. Any criminal can obtain an automobile in very short order.

I do not "live in fear". I have fire extinguishers in the kitchen and in the bedroom and near the fireplace, but I do not live in fear of fire.

I keep the doors locked, but I do not fear home invasion. I consider the likelihood of an attack to be less than remote, but the potential consequences are such that I choose to not accept the risk unmitigated.

I like to relax at home, without worry of criminal violence. The best way I have found to do that is by carrying at home.

I carry a firearm and pepper spray when I leave the house. Carrying them at home adds no inconvenience whatsoever.

OM,

I'm with you. I can't imagine feeling more relaxed when I'm less prepared.

When there's a storm coming, I like to have my supplies laid in before it arrives. We don't always get warning about storms coming in.

pax

I'm back and forth on this issue myself so I thought I'd ask what others think.

Do you prefer to carry while inside your home or stage weapons in convenient locations?

Feel free to share the reasoning for your choice.

Staged in locked safes AND carry on person... I don't like to keep all my eggs in one basket as no safe is bulletproof (pun intended) especially the small ones. Also if its not on my person its locked.

as for the living in fear debate, I think those that feel that way are in complete denial of just how fast things can go downhill in any (safe) neighborhood. The Cheshire invasion was brutal, but not the only violent random invasion. Just Google the crime map for your house and filter the burglaries, its an eye opener even in a "safe" neighborhood.

Why do so many gun owners put so much mystic, emotional power into the gun? It's just an inanimate object, like a tube of Chapstick or a hat or a belt or my shoelaces. It's not magic.

But many people do believe in magic. The gun as talisman, may not be what they consciously think but it is too frequently the way they act.

I don't have the stats for what percentage of the people who own guns specifically for defense that also train with them enough to be effective. I'm willing to guess that number is very low.

So if people believe in the magic of a gun for themselves they then assume that a gun will magically effect others.

I like having my carry gun in the same place at all times unless I'm in bed, on my hip. It is easier for me to keep everything the same whether I'm at Wally World, or in the kitchen.

I'm in a very large 2-1/2 story home. No kids. I have a six-gun staged in a hidden location on each floor. I carry when I'm out of the house. I just don't want that thing weighing me down when I'm home relaxing.

YMMV

In my case I have no desire or feel the need to carry a firearm around the house. If I did my friends would think I had lost the plot what might seem normal in America definitely wouldn't here. Maybe it depends on how threatened someone feels and that's up to them. PS I don't have a fire extinguisher and if I did I wouldn't be carrying that around the house either.

In my case I have no desire or feel the need to carry a firearm around the house. If I did my friends would think I had lost the plot what might seem normal in America definitely wouldn't here. Maybe it depends on how threatened someone feels and that's up to them. PS I don't have a fire extinguisher and if I did I wouldn't be carrying that around the house either.

You're living the dream..
I don't usually carry on me at home, but there's ALWAYS a loaded one close by. Bad people don't always go to bad neighborhoods to do bad things. Whether you're in a heavily populated city/ suburb or rural setting.
PS...get a fire extinguisher !! You're more likely to have a fire that a break in while at home. Fire does not discriminate either

This is a very helpful useful thread but looks to be going off-topic. So lets all take a moment and acknowledge what the thread is about...

1. Do you carry around the home or do you place firearms in strategic places?

2. If you do or do not or any combination explain your logic and reasoning.

3. What is your usual setup if you have one?

My opinion is carrying anything around the house is uncomfortable. I have a belt holster for my cellphone but dont carry even that around the house.

Placing firearms in unlocked places is a safety hazard. If you choose to do this make sure the other people you might live with are over 21 and are of a sound mind.

I believe the solution is securing your home with the proper locks and having a good alarm system. Of course, if you live out in a rural area you will need a better plan then just locks and alarms.

Please think out this topic carefully because there are safety and practical issues. Safety is the number one priority.

Back