In home carry or staging firearms?

In home carry or stage weapons

• in home carry

Votes: 75 58.6%
  • stage weapons conveniently

Votes: 53 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the safe, if I was in a war zone I would keep it with me.

Right. Violence only happens in war zones.

This reminds me of a terrible misunderstanding between a friend of mine and another man, which went horribly sideways because Craig had a firearm. I'll share the basics here, so people will realize the Dirty Harry bit is foolish.

Somebody broke into Craig's house, and Craig told the invader that it would be in his best interest to leave. He hoped the fact that he was holding a .357 revolver would convince the man, but the invader surprised Craig by producing a knife and stepping forward.

Here's where things get stupid. Craig put 3 rounds in the man's chest. The man promptly found a comfy place on the floor, and died by the time responders arrived.

When I heard about this, I was SHOCKED. We live in a quiet suburb, where bad things don't happen. This town is not a war zone.

CLEARLY, the man was trying to sneak in to surprise strangers by making them sandwiches, and mistakenly brought a pokey knife instead of the other one. Woops! Honest mistake! Obvious, right? Well, Craig, being the paranoid Rambo type, didn't consider that possibility.

If he hadn't had that gun, he would have had the chance to experience a delicious surprise sandwich.

The moral of this story:
Don't let firearms and bloodlust ruin random acts of kindness.

I have no children just two small dogs and the wife.
I am armed twenty four seven.
My guns are either physically in my possession or under my pillow while I sleep.

I have something on me all the time. In the office, a tiny NAA Mini 22LR. Out & about or at home, 99% of the time my P-32. The exception being when I am asleep or in the shower and even then. When I'm asleep, my nightstand gun is not far away. When in the shower, my P-32 is in the room with me.

manta49 said:

I live in a small 4 square mile town on the outskirts of Boston. Just a few months ago the Boston Marathon bombers who injured hundreds of people with IED's and killed three, drove through my town, shot it out with police, and tossed multiple IED's only a few blocks away from my home.

This incident opened my eyes to the fact that anything can happen anywhere at any time, no matter how ridiculous it might sound. Looking at that incident, is it not that far fetched that someone might break into your home with the intent to harm you? Just earlier this year some maniac shot up an elementary school full of children. Is it not that far fetched to believe that if a school full of young helpless children were attacked by a mad gunmen, that the same could not happen to you?

Seeing as I cannot predict when my life will be in danger, I like to keep my guns close by and accessible. You cant call time out's in life to go to your safe and unlock it to grab a gun if you need it.

The fiancée and I have our carry pistols that have a specific spot they go when we are home. All of my toys are in the safe. We have one mossberg 500 with a full tube of bernekkes out of sight but easily accessible to either of us (that no one else knows about, not even family and friends). One of my worst fears is either of us being shot with one of my firearms.

Are there also unicorns where you live? I mean, there's no crime right?

I'm half Venezuelan. Venezuela is the "murder capital of the world". Google it. It's not a "war zone", it's just plain old crime. Been there, done that, my family has been shot at, hit, kidnapped, etc.

Doesn't need to be a war zone.

2y8y8yby.jpg

Keep calm and carry one.

Unless A) kids are never in the house, or B) you're just absolutely brilliant in your hiding places, I'm not a big fan of "staging". But that's just me.

Personally, I don't stage or keep a gun on my person the whole time I'm in my own home. Although I'm rarely more than 15 seconds away from one. Sure it's possible someone could bust in and confront me in less time than that. But it's also highly, highly, highly unlikely. It's a matter of comfort more than anything else for me. I like to be comfortable and relax in my own home. And I don't find keeping a gun on my hip at all times very comfortable or relaxing.

Every room in my house has at least one loaded firearm in it. But, it's just me and the wife. I like staging because I could never convince her to carry on her person, so being able to show her several options for quick defense is the next best thing.

When I'm home, my NAA Pug is in my pocket. However, I do stage larger caliber handguns in the bedroom, living room and bathroom ... it's just my wife and I; we have no little children visiting and when we do have guests, the staged guns are locked up ...

WOW! lots of good answers and for various legitimate reasons. To be honest I really didn't expect "staging" to be that common. Thanks to everyone!

I live in a small 4 square mile town on the outskirts of Boston. Just a few months ago the Boston Marathon bombers who injured hundreds of people with IED's and killed three, drove through my town, shot it out with police, and tossed multiple IED's only a few blocks away from my home

Yes we have had a few incidents here as well. But I still don't feel the need to carry a firearm round the house with me. If it makes other people feel safer that's up to them.
Every day of the year marks the anniversary of someone’s death as a result of conflict in and about Northern Ireland.1
3,720 people were killed as a result of the conflict.2
Approximately 47,541 people were injured.3
There were 36,923 shootings.4
16,209 bombings were conducted.5
Between 1969 and 1998, 1,533 of the deaths as a result of the conflict were under the age of 25. 257 of those killed were under the age of 18

The only time a weapon is staged in my home is when I'm sleeping or in the shower, or on very rare occasions, put out of reach while eating dinner or some other family activity. Otherwise, it is on me or immediately next to me.

Home Carry

I have an Lazy Boy where the arm rests fold over & hide storage compartments. I keep my holstered j frame & 2 speed loaders in it. Not as good is my bedroom where I keep my holstered 357 4" revolver in my sock drawer. When I leave for work, I take my holstered j fame & a speed loader with me.

C; none....

I do not "home carry" or stage any firearms.
I do keep my M&P .45acp "cruiser ready" with MagSafe .45acp SWAT.

I'm not against home defense guns or having a solid plan but for now, I'm good with what I have in my home.

Clyde

I always pocket carry at home and my dedicated HD gun in a pushbutton handgun safe bolted to my bed frame. I guess that one could be considered "staged" but it is not unsecured.

Re the "war zone" subject:

When I play piano at my church, I can literally look out a window and see a home right across a quiet residential street in a "good" neighborhood where a man was killed after surprising a burglar. I was proud of my church's response - we opened our doors and made coffee and our pastor spent a sleepless night counseling family members, LEOs, and neighbors who needed us at a difficult time. But going to church is now a constant reminder of the violence that is present in our society; a sad dichotomy.

Back