how many rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny. I was shooting a match with my SW 1911Sc Commander. The plunger unstaked for the second time. So the match was tanked until a friend lent me a Taurus 1911 that was his spare truck gun.

Everything jams. My two Taurus guns were crappy but I also had a crappy experience with that Smith and my Glock 42 was crap out of the box.

Everything jams. My two Taurus guns were crappy but I also had a crappy experience with that Smith and my Glock 42 was crap out of the box.

When a taurus jams the response is its due to their bad QC. When a Glock jams the response is its due to 'user error' or 'dont worry they will fix it':D

When you get above Internet cliches - you know that everything jams and everyone should practice clearing until it becomes automatic.

What he said------------ TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN.

If your not going to TRAIN, do yourself a favor and get a more lazy friendly gun, like a wheel.

Anything made by man, can malfunction, just can.

So the first order of business, in carrying self defense equipment, it must be as fool proof as possible. So in the case of a pistol, one you have fired a lot!

It also helps that your caliber is good enough. In my case 9mm, Glock 19, 15 round capacity, prior to needing a reload. And a spare G17 mag, why not.

The actual projectile, a Police round, that has worked in gun fights.
No magic bullet, but one that goes deep, and not too violent a recoil. 147g Winchester Ranger T, very accurate.

A vehicle that is safe, kinda strong, you can see above small cars, fairly powerful. A small V8 in our Jeep 2008 Grand Cherokee. Runs all day at 2,000 revs.
And at 70 plus miles an hour. Twenty two miles to the gal as well.

Reference the "Why do you need 16 rounds in your pistol?" I shoot this pistol better than any pistol I own. So you do need to hit things, yes? Like an eye socket at 7m, or center of mass at 25m? Who knows what will come your way.

Must allow for all day (and night) carry in comfort. Must be good in poor light (Truglo Fiber Optic sights) bad things happen at night.

And as an old chap, try to not go to places that are not generally thought of as safe! Unless unavoidable.

Glen I did not mean to say it never will, but cross my fingers is has not yet. My round count is very very low compared to most in here also.

everyone should practice clearing until it becomes automatic.

Know the drill, and practice it, sure, but I'm not so certain about "automatic".

I recently had a squib (first one in nearly 40 years) in a .44 Magnum auto pistol. If I were one of the "automatic" tactical "Tap, rack, bang" crowd, it would have been Tap, rack KA-BOOM!!!!

The bullet was about an inch ahead of the chamber.

Now, I admit, was at the range, and had all the time in the world, and had I been in a gunfight, I most likely would have done tap rack bang, and lived (or not) with the consequences.

I'm fine with clearing the gun as an automatic response to a malfunction, but going beyond that to chambering and firing another round, without knowing the cause of the malfunction is something I would do only in gravest extreme (and not at a shooting match, either).

Now, this also applies to revolvers, the vaunted "simply pull the trigger for the next round" can be a really bad thing with a squib as well, and is actually much easier to have happen.

Glenn said it here, I've said it other places, EVERYTHING JAMS!!!!

Somethings are more likely than others, but if man made it, it can screw up. Accept that, and plan accordingly.

And for all those with XZY thousand rounds through their pet pistol, congrats, but don't say it never jams, be truthful, and admit that it hasn't jammed YET.
:D

I'm fine with clearing the gun as an automatic response to a malfunction, but going beyond that to chambering and firing another round, without knowing the cause of the malfunction is something I would do only in gravest extreme (and not at a shooting match, either).

Excellent point. Nobody ever seems to mention squibs (due to the rareness, I suppose).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bs6epOYLw

This is the only time I've been glad seeing someone fire the from hip... :eek:

At matches, we've seen squibs usually from reloads. The SO has managed to catch them or the shooter themselves will call it.

I've not seen it with factory ammo though - I'm sure some have.

I have been lucky thousands of rounds, many years, and only three failures in my primary weapons. A limp wrist (deliberate) check with my hi power. My glock failed to feed just last week with anew reload, I suspect that the crimp was too loose, and the bullet slipped forward. The other was on the same day, two failures with moderate handloads in my colt trooper .357. I have not reloaded for many years, and it appears that I have forgotten exactly how much force should be use. My mph .380 had a number of failures using Winchester, I didn't know that that it was light charge ammo.

The guns have been dead reliable, the only failures have been either handling or the ammo...

There was a guy at our club here who told me about a near rupture of the barrel of his 1911that he never learned a reason for. Seriously, he was a few crackers short of a cheese tray, and I stood waaay back when he was on a line. Lord knows what he did wrong with his hand loads, squib or double charge, but it was careless. I believe that it was a double. Bullseye under heavy fmj. Not a smart load in the first place, I suspected. The barrel that he showed me had a long bulge starting jus before the chamber, and the only thing that prevented rupture was the slide supporting it. It was locked so hard to the slide th a he g hammered it out.

Know the drill, and practice it, sure, but I'm not so certain about "automatic".

I recently had a squib (first one in nearly 40 years) in a .44 Magnum auto pistol. If I were one of the "automatic" tactical "Tap, rack, bang" crowd, it would have been Tap, rack KA-BOOM!!!!

The bullet was about an inch ahead of the chamber.

Now, I admit, was at the range, and had all the time in the world, and had I been in a gunfight, I most likely would have done tap rack bang, and lived (or not) with the consequences.

Youre pretty much stuck with doing the TRB in a gunfight, as you dont have time to analyse the problem, you do what you have to do, to get the gun back in the fight, as quick as you can.

I do the TRB/TRRB in practice, right up to the "bang" part. There I just go "bang" in my head, and if there are other targets, mentally continue to deal with them, without actually shooting. Then I clear the gun and check it.

I shoot mostly reloads in practice, and I reload the brass to failure. Ive found this to actually be a plus, as you start to get random failures as the brass nears the end of its life. The case rims seem to be the biggest cause, and extraction/ejection isnt always as positive as the rims get chewed up with use. Stovepipes and double feeds seem to be the two failures I see the most. Great "realistic" practice for failures, as you never know when they will happen.

Now, this also applies to revolvers, the vaunted "simply pull the trigger for the next round" can be a really bad thing with a squib as well, and is actually much easier to have happen.
Thats the scary thing about revolvers. If youre not paying close attention, especially when shooting fast, things can get ugly FAST, and much more so than an auto.

When it comes to stoppages, Ill take one in an auto over a revolver, any day! The autos are usually back into action pretty quick. The revolvers are usually DRT.

Glenn said it here, I've said it other places, EVERYTHING JAMS!!!!

Somethings are more likely than others, but if man made it, it can screw up. Accept that, and plan accordingly.

And for all those with XZY thousand rounds through their pet pistol, congrats, but don't say it never jams, be truthful, and admit that it hasn't jammed YET.
If your gun has yet to jam, then youre not shooting enough. Although, its really not all that common a thing, usually.

How did the powder get wet? Curious cause?
When my dad moved up from the beach, he gave me a half dozen or so boxes of Blazer 9mm, that had been in a cabinet out in the unheated garage. The first box I tried, I had number of failures to fire in the first 20 or so rounds. Some didnt fire at all, some had the primer fire, but the powder did not ignite, and the powder was in the case and chamber, with the bullet just stuck in the throat, and had to be poked out.

I called them up and they asked to have all the boxes back (all were the same lot), and they would get back to me when they looked at them. A while later, I got a package from them, and they replaced what Id sent them, 2 for 1. The explanation as to the cause was, they appeared to have been stored in, or exposed to damp conditions, as the powder and primers were degraded.

I was kind of surprised at that, as there was a lot of other ammo, rifle and pistol, that came with it, that didnt have any problems, nor did he ever have any issues with anything in the 20 or so years they lived there, but thats what their answer was. It was really nice of them to replace it, let alone, double up on the replacements. If it really was improper storage, it really wasnt their fault.

How did the powder get wet? Curious cause?

I like to buy ammunition made in the United States because I know it stays domestically.

This was Israeli military surplus, so I imagine they knew a couple crates got wet and tried to make a quick buck or they picked up moisture on the boat ride over.

This was Israeli military surplus, so I imagine they knew a couple crates got wet and tried to make a quick buck or they picked up moisture on the boat ride over.
Ive shot literally a boatload of old military import surplus over the years, and had very few problems. Some of it showed improper storage, but most of that seems to have been heat related.

Only three stand out that I stopped shooting. Two were some Spanish SMG 9mm, and a lot of CBC 308, and that was because they were excessively "hot".

One other lot of Egyptian SMG 9mm, was very corrosive.

The others that showed some kind of issue, were showing powder degradation, as the cases started to fail at the necks, and the bullets showed corrosion on the bases when pulled. Most of that stuff was 40-50 years old, but still shootable.

Most all of the surplus Ive seen over the years, came in sealed cases/tins, and in some cases, the boxed ammo inside the tins, was in sealed plastic. Even the import commercial stuff has been well sealed in plastic. I doubt a boat ride over, even if it were exposed on the decks, would be much of an issue, as far as water damage would go.

That's just amazing. Primers are press fit, an tight with compressed brass. Bullets are press fit, and crimped into compressed copper. Both metals retain some compression, but aluminum won't. What just amazes me is that thousands of product, literally thousands. Of them are sealed far less carefully and retain structural integrity in terrible conditions equal to wet garages.

Wet powder shouldn't be a problem, the stuff is plastic. Alliant has test batches that are as old as I am. The actually store it in distilled water. As scheduled they take samples, prepare it for testing, and load it up.

Primers I can understand, but ruining powder seems a bit odd.

Interesting item. Black powder tester. Closed chamber with friction fitted gate that shows how powerful the blast was from ignition of a measured charge. Tests for purity and dampness. Damp powder could usually be processed and dried and used. I'm sure that reprocessing was stopped Mary years ago when bp became obsolete for large scale usage.
th

When my dad moved up from the beach, he gave me a half dozen or so boxes of Blazer 9mm, that had been in a cabinet out in the unheated garage.

I can see there could be a considerable difference in the chemical stability of powder stored in distilled water, vs. "beach air".

Beach air didnt seem to affect any of the other ammo that came with the Blazers. Maybe aluminium is a conductor. :)

I did have some issues a few years down the road, with a couple of batches older 30-06 reloads and what appears now to have been heat related storage (not on my end), much like what Ive seen with some of the older surplus. The powder was degrading, causing the brass to fail at the necks, and the bullets to have that blue/green corrosion associated with the powder gassing. Those rounds were still firing without issue, unlike the Blazers. When I say without issue, I meant the powder and primers fired. I started to get a lot of split necks, and some complete neck separations with them, which is what drew my attention to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back