How Many EDC Full Size Guns VS. Compact Guns?

I am simply reminding the intent of the original post.
OP asked whether people carried a full size or compact pistol because he wanted to go from a Hellcat to a Beretta 92 compact.
The thread migrated into a pissing contest about whether people can shoot larger guns better than smaller ones.

The two more important factors here are
1. Can you comofortably carry and conceal a larger size weapon, and will you live with that everyday.
2. Are you proficient enough in a real life situation with the size gun you carry.

Heck, if I could conceal a full size Walther PPQ and even find one for sale, I would switch in a heartbeat, but I know I can't, so I live with what I do carry everyday.

I really don’t consider what is going on to be a “pissing contest”. I think you’re taking this personally when it doesn’t need to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry a full size Glock, a full size steel 10mm 1911 or a full size magnum revolver.

Usually the 1911.

I've not carried smaller than a Glock 19/23 for at least three years; currently carrying a "commander" size 1911 which conceals as easily as the Glock 19/23.

That merits a pic, this is a full size 1911 easily concealed under summer attire.
attachment.php

I carry a sub compact, or some may call a micro. A Kel-Tec P32. 6-7 months out of the year my attire consists of a T-shirt and jeans. 2 more months of just a 'hoodie'. Pretty hard to carry anything full sized. I never wear a suit jacket, don't even own one. Concealing a full sized pistol would be impossible most of the year. During the winter months when I wear a coat, and know it will not be removed much, I still only carry a 5 shot snub nose revolver in the coat breast pocket. But my Kel-Tec is in my right front pocket 365 days a year.

For years I’ve conceal-carried either a Kahr CM9 or S&W Sheild IWB. Lately though, I’ve started carrying a Glock 19 (not a full-size pistol, but obviously much larger than those previous pistols).

To be honest, I’ve gotten used to it very quickly, and it doesn’t feel any different to me than those smaller pistols in an IWB holster. The cooler weather (and some recent weight loss) is a mitigating circumstance, but if you are willing to show a slight bit of commitment, it’s definitely possible.

Everything else being equal (training type and time, sights, trigger, etc.), most everyone should be able to shoot a bigger gun better than its smaller size equivalent. How much better in terms of practicality when using a handgun for self-defense is another question; is it enough better to merit giving up the concealing and comfort wearing assets a smaller pistol offers might be the more pertinent issue.

I hate the micro 9's that are all the rage right now. They are hard to shoot recoil harder and their ballistics suck. I've been carrying a full sized or commander size 1911 for most of my adult life. I want something that hits hard and confidence to make a long shot if there is a need

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Bottom line, my answer is "No. I don't EDC a full sized gun."

I don't have any objection but my circumstances don't usually permit it or they make it impractical.

The biggest gun I'm willing to carry is a Glock 19 but since The Zombie Apocalypse started there really hasn't been the opportunity.

As I mentioned earlier the overwhelming majority of the time concealment is the limiting factor so I carry my Glock 26.

I used to go to church with "that guy". Carrying a gun was THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN HIS LIFE. He never went anywhere he couldn't carry and he wouldn't carry anything smaller than a full sized 1911. I never saw him dressed in anything but Artex(sp?) Pants and a 5.11 Covert concealed carry shirt. So one night we had a church function that required dress that wasn't that. He showed up in the above mentioned outfit and a sport jacket over it. John Moses Browning (APBUH) would have been proud.

Carrying a concealed handgun is supposed to fit into my life. Not the other way around.

I don't EDC any gun. I live in MD and I'm not a business owner, cop, prosecutor, or judge (the only groups that can fairly easily get a MD permit). However, I do have a UT non-resident permit and carry whenever in a state that honors it (and I'm frequently, as in at least once or twice a month, in WV, VA or DE). So, that might change my answer vs. if I lived in a shall-issue CCW state (I am almost always wearing casual clothing when carrying, and it is sometimes only for a few hours). I also carry at home (IN my home) most of the time, but again, different needs than if I frequently carried outside the home. So, take this answer with those disclaimers in mind...

I have been on every side on this issue. For several years now I've been on the carry the most gun you can carry side of the fence. Still am, but what is the "most gun" may be changing again.

I prefer capacity, because in the rare instance that I may need a gun for defensive use, I won't be able to decide in advance how many attackers I have to deal with. I prefer a longer sight radius because my attacker/attackers and not I will determine the distances involved. I like that a larger and heavier gun is more controllable, is easier to get back on target, and generally has more practical accuracy (inherent accuracy has little to nothing to do with barrel length, practical accuracy has a lot to do with sight radius).

For some time I went with traditional compacts (smaller service pistols like the SIG P229, CZ PCR/P01, and earlier, my Commander and Officer sized 1911s) in the 25-30oz range (though the Officer was steel and quite a bit heavier, but with a good holster and belt it worked).

For most of the past 14 months while I lost 100LBS, I didn't use a gun belt. I was going to get a KORE that can be trimmed, but never got around to it. So, when carrying, I went lighter. Sometimes my SIG P290RS (which I do shoot well), but usually my Taurus 856UL. So, now that I have a gun belt again, when I put on my PCR or P01, I feel like I'm printing a lot more than I used to, and it isn't as comfortable as it used to be. I don't know if it is mainly because over the past year+ I've gotten used to carrying a smaller pistol, if it is mainly because I'm wearing better fitted clothing (not any super slim styles, I am 50 and not 30, but more generally tailored styles as opposed to the baggier "classic" styles), or being thin, maybe the fat used to help hide it and I don't have the extra fat anymore. Whatever it is, it has me rethinking some things...

I might go AIWB (I had been thinking about it before anyway) to more easily conceal a larger gun. But then I'd have to retrain to draw from a new location instead of where I've practiced for the last 20+ years. My S&W M&P40c works (though it is about the limit of what currently feels like it works). I may just go with something smaller most of the time (and use the compact service pistols in the winter or when wearing a suit or sport coat and have the extra layers/concealment garments). The M&P gives me 10 rounds with a flush mag, and 15 rounds in the extended reload (with two mags, I have 29 or 31 rounds with the P01/PCR depending upon which mags I use, vs. 26 with the M&P). For when that is even too big now (tucked shirt), I might buy a P365 to give me close to a single stack concealment but with a few extra rounds over my P290. I also may start carrying my LCP more. I'm deciding between smaller and lighter, or relearning how to CCW.

This is a good question especially at this point in our history politically.
I am 75 and still a trainer and RSO at a local range. I currently only own two "high capacity" full sized firearrms. Partly out of the consideration that large-capacity firearms may become a problem ownership wise, partly because they are just too darn heavy to carry and conceal all day long, but more the fact the smaller guns like the P365 are just that good.

As I have mentioned on other post when the LCP first came out, I had been EDC a heavy Sub-Compact. I bought the Little LCP and it totally amazed me. I was fascinated by this little super concealed carry weapon. And then of course went on to make it a hobby of shooting Pocket guns for over a decade now. And in that time realized you can do a whole lot with them then the internet would ever have you believe. My fascination with them continues. And I love shooting them.

Last edited:
I disagree with the notion that having your hand in a pocket on your pocket pistol raises no suspicion. I think that’s a bit of an oversell. In just about any martial discipline, whether hand to hand or with firearms, you’re generally taught the adage “hands kill”. A guy walking around with his hand just in his pocket draws my attention more than a guy without his hand in the pocket. When I’m assessing threats I was taught the whole person, hands, demeanor approach. Someone seemingly keeping his hand in his pocket raises a big red flag to me. It’s not a given that it’s a firearm, could be a number of weapons.

There’s a counter argument here that a lot of people are oblivious in the age of cell phones and they probably won’t notice. There’s some truth to that. But someone planning to do something nefarious is likely to be at least mildly observant. There are also a lot of people out there now with some form of martial training. I just wouldn’t take it as a given that no one is the wiser when it comes to pocket carry and having your hand on the pistol.

Oh come on.You never saw a person with a hand in his coat pocket especially in winter?And for sure I stand many times with my my thumb rested on a pocket for easy draw.. And I did not infer that every where I went I had my hand in my pocket. A hand in the Pocket is just one of the many ways to quicky draw.

One hand in a winter coat? Generally no. If you’re doing both that’s a bit better IMO. It’s also not always winter. As far as hooking your thumbs I think that’s a little less obvious. But then you don’t have your hand on the pistol in the pocket, which is what I was commenting on.

I mention it because it’s a common response from people that pocket carry and I don’t personally think it’s as discreet as some believe it is. YMMV.

I disagree with the notion that having your hand in a pocket on your pocket pistol raises no suspicion. I think that’s a bit of an oversell. In just about any martial discipline, whether hand to hand or with firearms, you’re generally taught the adage “hands kill”. A guy walking around with his hand just in his pocket draws my attention more than a guy without his hand in the pocket. When I’m assessing threats I was taught the whole person, hands, demeanor approach. Someone seemingly keeping his hand in his pocket raises a big red flag to me. It’s not a given that it’s a firearm, could be a number of weapons.

There’s a counter argument here that a lot of people are oblivious in the age of cell phones and they probably won’t notice. There’s some truth to that. But someone planning to do something nefarious is likely to be at least mildly observant. There are also a lot of people out there now with some form of martial training. I just wouldn’t take it as a given that no one is the wiser when it comes to pocket carry and having your hand on the pistol.

Agree, plus unless you have a hand in the pocket 100% the time, the "quick draw" is completely contingent on your awareness and identifying the threat beforehand, which if you did you could possibly avoid it entirely. I don't want to have to depend on awareness, especially when SD situations seem to happen suddenly and all at once, and without a hand in your pocket, getting one in there quickly and surely, possibly while fighting off an assailant is quite a task.

And, for the argument, for my IWB (about 1 o'clock) I could/can hook a thumb ony belt, casually, slightly under my shirt. Drops my draw from 1.5 seconds to around 1 or less at the range. But again, if I'm that triggered by the situation, it's likely better to GTFO.

Again, not saying anyone is wrong, just offering my opinion and observation. I tried to make pocket.l carry work and found it wanting. BILL drill or similar was OK with a hand in the pocket, but pretty poor in any other circumstances, and I have the luxury of being able (and willing) to carry a Glock 19 or equivalent IWB all day every day without issue. I understand others need to compromise, and that's great as long as we all carry and train and think on the advantages and limitations of what we carry and how.

Back