How Do You Feel About USED Guns?

My LGS and favorite Pawn shop will both give my money back if the gun has a problem. They will also will give me a good deal on the gun if it is something I can fix and want to keep it. But there have been very few with problems.
The biggest problem I find with used guns is nothing more then a good cleaning, and that is something you should do before shooting it anyway.

I have no problem whatsoever buying used firearms.
I own several used firearms and all work and are more or less are in perfect shape. The savings alone makes them worthwhile to me.

I used to buy all new, now I don't even bother looking at new and go straight to the used gun section. Lots of bargains.

4 Rugers .22, S&W 910S, CS9, PPS, CZ75 P-01 and more. Never a problem.

I have no problem with buying used guns but there are 3 types I will never buy.
1. range rentals: they are beaten to hell, used like a 5 dollar whore at fleet week, and never cleaned.
2. police trade-ins: same as range rentals only those morons do it over a long period of time plus you have to worry about sweat rust all over from being carried on a daily basis.
3. home gunsmith projects: I've ruined enough to know that if it was a project and now for sale, it's probably because they jacked it up and don't want to deal with fixing it.

I love 'em. Used guns usually represent a better deal than new since someone else has taken the initial hit for depreciation. It takes a few thousand rounds for the action to smooth out anyway and very few guns are shot enough to wear them out. A visual inspection will quickly sort those out. I have ended up with a few dogs but the vast majority have been great.

I especially like brand name guns with excellent reputations that have been neglected or abused. My LGS takes guns on trade and doesn't clean them up. They just slap a low price on them and try to move them quickly. I can clean them up, enjoy them and usually break even (or better) when I sell them. Another sweet spot is guns that are slightly obscure or unpopular for the wrong reasons.

I recently bought a S&W 457 and it is awesome. It's a "value line" gun so it doesn't have the panache of a higher end model and it's only a S&W. It's not hi-cap, super small, light or anything else. It is very accurate, reliable, 7+1, .45 with an external safety. Ruger P series guns are another great example. They are accurate, reliable and ugly as sin. That makes them a true bargain.

I don't have a specific problem with buying used guns, however, the cost of a used gun can be an issue since you generally don't get a warranty with it.

I have passed on a few used guns and just bought a brand new one, the slightly less expensive cost was not enough to justify not getting a warranty as the original purchaser.

If it's what I consider a fair price for the model "as is", I have no problem buying it, there is a possibility that I'll have to spend additional money on it, which I have learned the hard way.

The majority of my revolvers were used . . Colts, Smiths, Rugers . . . never had any issues with them. As long as I can check then out in person first, I actually prefer buying "used" as I like vintage revolvers.

Semi-autos . . hmmmm . . . I own two 22s that I purchased new - a Sig Saur 1911-22 and a Ruger MK III Target and a SR9 . . I purchased all three "new". The only "used" semi I have owned was a Bersa 30 Thunder CC . . . I kept it about three days as the previous owner had done "trigger work" on it. Until I shot it, I didn't realize it had a hair SA trigger. Not knocking Bersa - I'd own another one with no problem but it would be a new one. The Bersa made me a little cautious of "used" semis - but that's probably because I am more of a revolver guy and always have been.

I buy a lot of used guns as many of the high quality firearms are no longer produced or exceedingly rare.

The only ones I would be more cautious with would be some of the pistols favored by the mall ninjas as they are more likely to be "test fired" full of mud, underwater, after driving over it with the car, etc because they saw that on TV. :rolleyes: Also most of these can still be bought new for about the same price.

the cost of a used gun can be an issue since you generally don't get a warranty with it.

Very true, but on the plus side most defects show up quickly, so it is almost like you had someone proof test it for you.

Used guns are fine, as long as they were taken care of by the previous owner, in good working order, and not badly worn. A good price well below retail is also a must.

I've bought many used pistols both privately and in gun stores. From Glock's, XD's, even Taurus pistols without any problems.

I know there are many people that have success buying used firearms. I just can't bring myself to buy one unless I can inspect it and fire it. There are exceptions of course. I bought my Colt Detective Special and Cobra off GunBroker because that was the only way to get them but they had an inspection period so I could have sent them back.

There are also a couple of dealers I trust and would by used from them such as Get R Done Guns and Michael Murphy & Sons. I would probably purchase from Kentucky Gun Co. also based on the few dealings I've had with the owner. There are also members of some different forums I've gotten to know and would purchase from them.

I've bought a few new guns in my life, but they were sort of accidents. Most of the time I don't even look in the "new" cases.

They don't make the stuff I'm interested in anymore.

Very little new production stuff means a thing to me. I like guns from when good quality was the norm instead of the exception.

I buy an occasional polymer pistol here and there, but everything else is used and at least 20 or so years old. They're usually quite a bit older than that.

I feel bad for those who limit themselves to just the junk on today's market.

It depends on the price. A lot of gun stores want almost as much for a used gun as they do for used. I'll pay an extra $50 for a new gun every time unless it's a S&W revolver. Sure you can find better deals online for used guns, but I really need to see them before I hand over the money. I don't mess around with gun auctions and used guns online for that reason.

Back