How Do You Feel About USED Guns?

Hook686 said:
Rather like used women wouldn't you say ?

First, I will start by saying that I own my firearms, but I don't own my wife. So perhaps this isn't an apples:apples comparasin.

That said, Hook is dancing around the biggest point with a used firearm. There is a difference between previously loved and abused. A gun that is in good condition that has been well maintained is very different from a gun that has been left to rust, neglected, used as a hammer, or used to test dangerously overpressured handloads. There is a wide range of used guns, and when prudence is used in making an informed purchase, it can end up being a great decision.

Much like a used car, it all depends on how they were used...

I've yet to have any serious problems with used guns purchased on the internet. 185 GB purchased and only got slightly burned twice. (If you want to know whom not to trust, PM me.)

Last edited:
Moderator note: Please drop the "used women" line of discussion. It has no place here, and will get this thread locked if it continues.

Yes I agree, It is pretty important to test them out before committing to one. I have only purchased one used firearm. It was a S&W 329PD. The gunsmith at the shop I go to told me it had not been fired very many times and was in great condition. It helps if prior experience is known and the opinion of an expert is available. I stay away from, 'A shot in the dark'.

chrisintexas said:
how do you judge that the used gun is not a lemon?

While this is a risk we all take buying a used firearm, there are ways to minimize the risk, mostly depending on where you buy. I personally try to make most of my purchases on Facebook, Gun Forums, and my LGS, because your reputation stays with you. If I buy from a dude on Facebook, and he sells me a lemon, I can share that info with all the members on all the groups. It ends up getting shared and reposted, and can effectively snuff out a person's membership. Gun forums are the same way, as you can read through old posts, and get a feel for the member you are dealing with.

How do I feel about used guns? Well every gun I have is a used gun, seeing as how I use them. I feel mostly good about them. :D

tipoc

When you buy a great used gun like a S&W 645, 659, 5906 or various 1911 models, do you feel a need to replace the springs?

To the OP's original question. I purchased a used S&W 659 in 1989. I've never replaced anything on this gun. It worked flawlessly then and it still works flawlessly now. I truly believe that my 659 will outlast all of my other guns. Some day, in the year 6014, I'd bet that this question will come up again on TFL from whomever ends up with my 659. I will leave a little note under the grip panels saying: "Just shoot it and let your great great great grandkid worry about replacing springs."

PS - Same goes for the Ruger P-89; not as pretty as the S&W659, but it will last just as long.

Last edited:
The vast majority of my sixty-odd guns are 'used'. Only a half-dozen were bought new. I like to collect older twentytwo guns and milsurps. I have bought guns from buddies and gunshows. I generally find most 'new' designs not to my liking. I prefer what I grew up with, not what I see in newer movies. "Tacticool" holds no interest for me. ;)
I will pass right by all the nifty Plastic Fantastics in the gunshop, and go drool over the fine old Steel&Wood milsurps and hunting rifles.
I enjoy buying a filthy old relic in the gun&pawn (do they EVER actually clean a gun before displaying it?) and restore it to it's former glory.

I feel in different towards used gun. I mostly buy used what is extremely difficult to find or is no longer made. I have yet to buy a lemon or have a malfunction with a used purchase. You'll find that a lot of used guns are being sold because of financial troubles or buyers remorse so the guns are usually like new. In the end all new guns become used, I've never ran across anyone who had absolutely new guns in a glass case for display purposes.
p.s. Almost all guns are proofed fired at the factory, so even right out of the box they're "USED".

I dont mind buying used surplus Curio & Relic firearms, but prefer new or like new if buying commercial firearms

after seeing how people treat their guns at the range, lots of "bump firing" torture tests to see how tough and reliable the gun is under harsh conditions without cleaning or lubing, lots of steel cased ammo fired through them, etc

lots of modified firearms or "bubba fied" guns with hair triggers from amateur kitchen table gun smiths.

I prefer to have one that hasnt been messed with like that

after seeing how people treat their guns at the range, lots of "bump firing" torture tests

If its an AR or an AK and it can't handle a little bump-firing or a few 30-round semi-auto mag dumps, what good is it??? I've never seen anyone torture test a S&W 659, although some of those old police carry's look like they've been tortured.

I have only bought one gun off of the internet and that was a 1861 Springfield rifle/musket that had a lot of pictures. I almost exclusively buy used because almost all new guns do nothing for me. Once you familiarize yourself with what to look for, it becomes easy to spot the lemons.

I won't buy a gun before I have a chance to examine it in person. I don't necessarily have to shoot one to know if it is good or not and many times it just isn't possible to test drive one. I bought a early S&W M15 a few weeks ago that had zero finish on it due to poor storage. But, the action felt as tight as a new gun and when I took it apart after buying it, it was still full of the original grease.

Of the 60ish guns in my safe exactly four were purchased new.

I don't buy new cars either.

Back