How Do You Feel About USED Guns?

There's no guarantee that the "new" gun you buy isn't going to turn out to be a lemon or a turkey, either.

I think a perfect example is the new remington R51.

Again, if you use common sense when purchasing a used gun, you are unlikely to get burned.

Well said

Used guns are GREAT, BUT...
you must detail them as previous owner(s) had no idea of what cleaning entailed or bother to attempt it.

Detailing makes certain that every part is in good condition and is properly
lubed and light stoning has reduced / eliminated burrs.

And how is this different from acquiring a "Brand New" gun?

I don't mind used guns. Unfortunately in the gun stores in my town they don't know the difference between used and abused. The only S&W revolvers I have ever seen "used" looked like they had been left lying on the interstate for a month and been run over by numerous 18 wheelers and they are asking $500+ for them. If I am going to pay that much for a gun I don't want to be embarrassed by its appearance. Some look so bad that I question whether or not they will function. Guess I need to look in a bigger city maybe, but that is hard for me to do because I don't know the stores there.

Out of all the handguns I've purchased over the years, only a handful have been new.

I have no problem letting someone else take the depreciation hit. Most people don't even shoot the things anyway. If used cars were like used guns, they'd all have fifty miles on 'em and factory air in the tires.

If I'm using it for self defense, competition, or hunting, I want new. I'm cool with used for collecting and target shooting though.

I prefer new guns with good warranties.
However, if the price is right I'm okay with buying used.
I've only bought 12 or so handguns, but 3 of them have been used.

I really only buy guns to shoot - rather than collect - and I generally want something very specific when I'm shopping for a new gun - which only happens maybe once or twice a year. So, saving a few bucks isn't that big of a deal.

If I were buying them as potential investments, or as part of a collection, I'd probably feel differently. Or if there were any guns that I particularly wanted that were out of production.

Also, things might be different if I lived in an area with a bigger/cheaper selection of used guns.
But, if I'm going to have to wait an indeterminate amount of time to get exactly what I want, and only going to save $100 or so off the new price, I'd rather buy new.

Most of my guns were pre-owned. In several cases, I scored very good deals because the former owners apparently sold without bothering to investigate minor issues. I traded for a LNIB semiauto which the previous owner had apparently shot without cleaning the factory grease. I cleaned it, broke it in, and now it runs fine. Another used find had the slide stop improperly installed, and yet another had sat neglected for 20 years and just needed a good scrubbing.

Most of my guns have been pre-owned.

I recall as a kid, Mentors sharing, after the first shot fired from a new gun, it becomes a used gun. Same applies to vehicles as well...:p

here in ny you can not shoot a gun (rent one like it) before you buy it. so there are alot of guns say 20% of the guns in the show case were bought, not liked and brought back. used to work at a gun shop, you can always sell it back for half what you payed. gun shop will usually double what they payed for a peice. so the guy behind the counter can usually come down 20%. also look for consignment guns, that means the shop offered the owner less than he felt it was worth. usually means the price marked can come down 50% if the owner really wants to sell. you can usually pick out the consigned guns that the owner really does not want to sell by thier price.

if you have not guessed by now most of my guns were bought used. i have no quams about taking down a used gun right in the shop if i see unusuall wear.

also every gun shop has a bulletin board by the door for posters on comming events. check that. some of my best guns came off the bulliten board (saddly this right was taken from us in the dead of night and without a opportunity to register our dismay, in newyork)

Joe

I have four guns I bought brand new in their original boxes.
I am not counting in that the CMP 22 rifle because it was a military surplus and has a cut from the ham handed clerk that did the inventory before it was sent to the CMP.
All of the other guns I've owned have been used. I lost count because they come and go as my whims change.

I look at used guns based upon features that I like that no longer exist in new ones. I like the older Smith revolvers and even old Rugers without the transfer bar. Or something pre-writing, stuff like that. I think there is good reasons to buy used and good reasons to buy new.

Used or New

I think used guns can be just as good as new, I own several used and new guns, you just need to know what you are looking for and what to look for. And of course if you want protection on your purchase then buy from a reputable dealer either way.

In fact I own a GLock 26 that was a backup for a state trooper and have never had problems with it. It was my first handgun.

I don't buy anything used absent knowing the history behind the item--typically this results in purchasing any used item from someone I know/trust. So personally no I do not purchase used guns or any other item--that said, I am absolutely certain from what others have told me that it's a fabulous way to save lots of cash with the important caveat of the deal being properly executed which may be easier said than done for some...

No problem with 'em here.

Most of the firearms I've acquired were used.

All of the firearms I bought "new" are "used" now...

What do you expect from a Davis?

I only bought one Davis and the only reason that I bought it was the gal that needed it only had limited funds so I bought this used Davis .25 acp from a neighbor. When I bought it it wound not feed from the magazine. After a few minutes playin with it I could clearly see that the mag follower was shaped wrong and not tilting the bullets at the right angle to feed correctly. I disassembled the mag and fifteen minutes with a ras and a couple files and I had that follower shaped perfect so it chambered the rounds correctly and fired every time. I sold it to her for fifty bucks confident that it would fire should she need it.

Used guns are like used cars......if you have the ability to work on them then you should have no problems.....if you can't then you had better stay with new.

Love used guns. A lot of people buy guns and after 100 rounds want something new. Not very used. The last 3 guns I bought were all out of production prior to 1990. One was NIB but 2 are used! No issue.

All of my guns are used guns, (by me). I inspect them for flaws just like I was buying it used from someone else.

I have bought used guns and they all have been fine. I buy quality, (new or used), it tends to last a long time.

Love 'em. Greatly decreases cost and gives you access to models and quality not necessarily available new.

Like most consumer goods, guns are rarely well used.

Back