How Do You Feel About USED Guns?

Most of the guns I've sold were lemons for one reason or another. I assume that many of the used guns on the market were sold because they weren't performing to the previous owners' expectations as well.

I also bought a gun with 'only 200 rounds' shot through it. After getting it to the range it was very apparent it had been shot completely loose and needed new springs. I know a bit more about guns now that I've been doing this a decade and it won't happen to me again :cool:.

My feelings? I'll sell used guns, but I won't be buying them ;).

Almost all of my "collector" guns have been bought used. (Where can I buy a new Frommer Baby??) I usually fire a few rounds if the ammo can be found or made, but since I don't plan to depend on those for defense or even perforating paper, I don't worry if they don't work perfectly.

When I buy a "using" gun used, I am pretty sure it will be OK, because I check them out before buying, so either I know they are right or know what needs to be done to make them right. That may sound a bit like bragging, but I have been a gun hobbyist, gunsmith, and collector for about 65 years, so I do know a little about guns. And any gun I carry has been thoroughly tested and I know it will work if I need it.

Jim

P.S. I never buy any gun sight unseen. Period.

JK

I don't even understand the question. About 90% of all the guns I have purchased in my life (around 500 I figure) were used. I like older stuff so I specifically seek older, used guns. Love ex-cop guns. Never spent one second worrying about them. Have had maybe one or two that required some mechanical attention but that happens once in a great while.

When I buy a "using" gun used, I am pretty sure it will be OK, because I check them out before buying, so either I know they are right or know what needs to be done to make them right. That may sound a bit like bragging, but I have been a gun hobbyist, gunsmith, and collector for about 65 years, so I do know a little about guns. And any gun I carry has been thoroughly tested and I know it will work if I need it.

Jim

P.S. I never buy any gun sight unseen. Period.

I could have written exactly this, except James has about a 20 year head start.

And come to think about it the next NIB auto pistol I get will be the first in decades (and ain't likely to happen).

Some people are all afraid that a used gun is an automatic lemon. Some are (especially because a lot of people won't get a problem gun fixed, they just sell it), but not all, by any means. And sometimes, a "problem" gun isn't really a problem, or not the problem they think it is.
For example:
A few years back, I found a used Stoeger Luger .22LR, with box, at the local shop. The price was actually low, for that gun, and condition. Counter guy said they had used it as a range rental for a little while, but it ALWAYS jammed. I looked it over, and nothing was obviously wrong. I bought it, thinking, worst comes to worst, its a project...

Took it out and shot it, and the guy was right, it jammed. Then I oiled it. No more jams!:D

Easy project!

Bought a used Llama .357 one time, it seemed ok, but shooting it proved that it would reliably only fire 4 out of 6, and not the same 4 each time!
Sold that one to a guy who wanted a project, for cost, with full disclosure.

Used guns are a roll of the dice, but you can get boxcars as often as snake eyes, and something good and usable a lot more often than either extreme.

And, for those of us who collect things that are out of production, used is the only market there is.

I buy what I consider a good deal new or used. Have all the semi autos I will ever want with the exception of a Colt commander. Won't buy it unless I get a good deal so searching takes awhile, sometimes years. Lately my attention has turned to revolvers. Absolutely refuse to buy one with a lock or pay inflated prices but they can be found. Recently found a pristine Colt agent that I paid a bit of a premium for, I had no poker face as I drooled all over the counter while looking at it, but I gave the dealer a down payment asking him to hold onto it for me until the next day. when I returned the following day I brought along plug gauges to check throat size, feeler gauges to check barrel to cylinder gap and a bore light to check the bore with, I also brought my most scrutinizing serious face in a hope to haggle a bit but to no avail the drool gave me away. At any rate the gun passed all inspections with flying colors and after firing six rounds of the dealers ammo I was hooked. This buying procedure has served me well over the years and as a result I've not been burned. Wish I could say the same of some brand new gun purchases I've made.:rolleyes:

used like this?

had to drive 3 hours to pick it up
leftsized.JPG

and the drive was worth every mile!

I find that in my area people expect way too much for used guns so I almost always end up buying new. Either my area is full of idiots who pay full price at big box stores for handguns and ask used prices accordingly or its full of people just hoping for an idiot to buy from them. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of the used guns for sale on the classifieds sites local to me could be found on gunbroker for less new. Here are a few examples. The cheapest used Smith & Wesson M&P that I see is an M&P 40 for $450. I bought my M&P 45c new on gunbroker about 6 months ago and after the bid price, shipping, and transfer I only had $415 in it. I also just won a new XD 9mm yesterday that altogether I will have $365 in and yet I see used ones listed locally for as high as $500.

So, wait. Sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions, but do vet gun owners actually prefer used guns over new guns?

I'm hoping to buy my first fun shortly. For a first time gun owner, is used still preferable?

Can't go to Bob's Gun Shop and buy a new one.

standard.jpg

Can't buy a brand new Colt DA revolver no matter how hard you try.

standard.jpg

So, yeah, the vast majority of guns I buy are used. Unless all you like are guns that are plastic and square, you buy used. I like a gun with a little character, anyway.

standard.jpg

Used guns are GREAT, BUT...

you must detail them as previous owner(s) had no idea of what cleaning entailed or bother to attempt it.

Detailing makes certain that every part is in good condition and is properly
lubed and light stoning has reduced / eliminated burrs.

I have bought very few new guns in my life, maybe 20 or so. Ironically most of the new ones I've bought didn't stay long.

I just bought 5 yesterday . A mix of handguns, rifles and shotguns . Some semi auto , bolt and pump . I do worry if the semi auto's are going to work . If it was a pistol I would replace the recoil spring , but nothing else if it is working and clean them good . I spent all night cleaning those 5 .

So, wait. Sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions, but do vet gun owners actually prefer used guns over new guns?

I do!

I'm hoping to buy my first fun shortly. For a first time gun owner, is used still preferable?

For a very first time owner, (who we will assume knows nothing beyond the basic safety rules), maybe not. New guns come with owners manuals and warranty support.

The main thing about used guns is that usually, you can find a gun in excellent mechanical condition for considerably less cost than a new gun. The only thing wrong or worn on a lot of used guns is the finish.

BUT, you can't absolutely count on that being the only thing. Like a used car, in some aspects. DON'T buy one sight unseen. If you don't know how to tell when something is obviously bad, find a friend who does, or learn yourself. Otherwise, you are taking a risk with your money.

There are stickies here in the Forum that will tell you the basic things to look for, and look at. Read them, and ask about anything you don't understand. We're here to help.

And NEVER assume any gun, new or used will work properly. ALWAYS test it, with the ammo YOU have. Otherwise you are risking more than just money.

I do!

For a very first time owner, (who we will assume knows nothing beyond the basic safety rules), maybe not. New guns come with owners manuals and warranty support.
y.

U can find manuals online and youtube videos on breakdown easy as pie

The most used gun I have is around 150 years old. Also buying a used gun that needs some work doesn't bother me either if the price is right. Part of the enjoyment for me is taking apart and working on them. I always diss assembly and clean after shooting and sometimes in between

Used rule

Some guns like a Colt Python or a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 are so finely made they can't even be manufactured in a cost effective manner any more. What does that tell you about "new stuff"?

My "working guns" are all from the 1960's or earlier, and most have been used by a couple of generations of family members. The oldest is a 1918 S&W my great grandfather used in WW1, still with the original holster. I think my most "modern" revolver is still 30 years old.

There's no guarantee that the "new" gun you buy isn't going to turn out to be a lemon or a turkey, either.

I think a perfect example is the new Remington R51.

Again, if you use common sense when purchasing a used gun, you are unlikely to get burned.

Last edited:
I have bought most of my guns pre-owned and it was a mixed bag. First, I have to admit that there was a time when I bought a lot of guns and sold or traded them at gun shows. I inspected the guns and usually have a pretty good idea for which gun parts are easy to find and the cost any repair would incur. I love working on guns and do most repair work myself.

Nowadays I buy much less guns, from three or four dozens per year, I went down to less than a dozen.
I am now mostly looking at high quality steel guns and find that guns of a by-gone era offer me better quality - and much more bang for the buck:).

The quality of Swiss-made Hämmerlis is unsurpassed in my experieince.

DSCF7240-1.jpg

Same for the P210

DSCF4774-1.jpg

If you want a Python, pre-owned is the only option left

bootsandsnake.jpg

...and I could not afford a new Korth.

imagejpg1_zpsbb6f146c.jpg

Back