Homemade 20mm sniper rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't have access to aluminum foil (which you can turn into aluminum powder using a ball mill) and rust (which you can make using any iron source with oxidizer like common household bleach), then I'm going to have to question the ease you'll have making a useful guncotton based propellant.

There was a book, "Jack Hinson's One Man War" which describes the exploits of a confederate sharpshooter who used a custom made 50 cal black powder rifle and iron sights to make long shots, out past 800 to 1000 yards if I recall correctly (I may in fact not recall correctly, it's been a while since I read the book).

If you really want to start making long range rifles in addition to your new subgun effort, you don't lose anything by going the black powder route first as a training exercise, at least as long as it's legal for you to do so.

Jimro

But i'd still need something to take out tanks at short range besides IED's
Any suggestions?

Why??? The EFP has proven to be a LETHAL and effective weapon against at least light armor. Up to APC's at least. Ive never seen an EFP hit a main battle tank. But anything lighter gets a hole punched thru it.

Not a lot of science behind it, nor heavy machineing skills needed. Seems perfect for your task. Its worked well for others

To send your mind spinning in yet another direction, check out medieval siege weaponry. Catapults and (particularly) the Trebuchet.

Can be made out of local wood, some rope and a few bits of scrap iron. Low tech (no thermal or electrical signatures). Essentially silent beyond a few dozen yards. Scaled correctly, can launch a several pound projectile several hundred yards. And the only ammo expenditure is the actual projectile being launched (no cases, primers, or powder to have to make, or obtain)

Accuracy? not so much. Area targets only, with any degree of confidence. BUT area targets can be good enough for some things. The key to knocking out any armor with improvised weapons is tactics. You have to get them stopped. THEN you can hit them.

While it would only work in the right terrain conditions, consider a stalled convoy (roadblock), and a rain of silent "bombs" (I would recommend a version of the classic Molotov cocktail, something in glass that would both shatter and ignite on impact), dropping down on them out of the night.

Totally possible with a few friends and homemade materials. And I think it would work, at least once, for an ambush. Also, while not easy to move by hand, a trebuchet is something that you can build, use, and walk away from. Build more when you need them.

There are other ancient designs that can be adapted as well. Think outside the box.

Gathering as many small arms as you can get and ammo for such would be the best use of funds . You may have to arm others one day . The info you need is easy to find . Folks on most forums are not going to post it and risk saying something that would draw the wrong attention . The Philipines currently a thriving place with a high standard of living for that part of the World . The poor have it tuff but not as bad as other places . With a Army of screaming China'men storming through gorila tatics would be all most would have left . Not sure I would give myself up to such invaders .

Based on my 1976 nighttime UFO sighting...I tend to speculate that the only way you can defeat a Chinese military invasion of the Phillippines single-handedly --- is to get your hands on a fiery plasma magnetically encased foofighter --- of the otherworlder kind. The electrically charged fiery red-orange fusion plasma {derived from common seawater} would be sent down from a magnetic field shaped funnel towards the intended target with devastating results!!!

Don't hold your breath.

It seems to me that the focus on the weapon is very much premature. There appears to be a need for studying strategy and tactics.

There is the problem of dealing with the Chinese version of the Japanese Kempeitai. Operational Security: OpSec.

The psychology of dealing with reprisals is another factor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidice

There are numerous websites with archived information which would be far more useful than anything we can provide and remain on topic for this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back