Homemade 20mm sniper rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you considered instead a 5 to 25 Watt CW Infrared Laser?
The instructions, diodes, optics and other components are available online for less than (at least in the U.S. and Europe) a surplus .50 BMG, has no ballistic drop, and can stop all but a well prepared opponent at several hundred meters. There are hundreds of electronics shops that can put it together for you in Manilia.
Please check and comply with all local laws before proceeding.

Phillipinos have a great tradition of "rolling their own", and while I wouldn't want to stand behind one, I respect the attitude.

But here's another vote for scrounging up stuff for a .50 BMG, a slightly more realistic proposition given the totality of the scenario.

n the Philippines, in order to get a license for the gun you must demonstrate a genuine need for same.
wow, same law we have on nj

in all seriousness if a super power invades you island the best possible thing you can do is to comply or escape. My father told me the stories of Russia taking over Hungary when he was about 19. They tried to fight tanks with uzis and moltov cocktails and failled miserably. Lucky he was able to get to Austria and then the US. But being on an island I don't think that is going to be an option. I also don't see China doing a ground invasion.
Good luck to you and your family.

I thought a prepper's primary objective is to survive, not to fight. Before the big one comes he gathers and prepares, while trys to attract little attention. When the big one comes, he gets out of the way. After the waves pass, he comes out of hiding and use his reserve and skill to survive whatever aftermath he has to deal with.

A 20mm gun doesn't fit this model.

Sorry I may be rude.

-TL

Phillipinos have a great tradition of "rolling their own"

True some of the stuff seen coming out of their garage shops is pretty cool. But "rolling your own" only gets you so far. And frankly, if you have to ask us how to make it, that's gonna be about as far as the nearest hospital.

Either way, I'm waiting for the lock on this. This just sounds like a bad idea.
We got an OP who joined 3 days ago and his first post is asking how to build a 20mm rifle. With, my guess, not much regard for the legality of it.

bd3a5d38cbbb5ef5c39c15c63810fb8970bedddf2122976517b75fb9725a7a2f.jpg

Edit: Didn't want to sound like a wanna-be mod.

Last edited:
I look at the question as "can it be done"...
The questions of "should it be done" and "is it legal" are different questions, and not what was asked.

Before the modern era of .50BMG rifles, I saw a .50BMG single shot"rifle" made from an M2HB barrel. The machinegun barrel was "stock", had not been turned down at all. A scope was mounted on the barrel, and the barrel was mounted on a tripod, with a homemade looking T&E system. The "action" was a cube shaped block that screwed onto the barrel after you inserted the round. The breechblock had a firing mechanism in it, and a trigger that stuck down from the bottom.

I have no idea if it was accurate, or even safe, but having fired the M2HB that "rifle" would have to be securely fastened to something sturdy!

I mention this as an example of what can be done.

if a super power invades you island the best possible thing you can do is to comply or escape.

I'd like to point out that the Philippines were in that position, within living memory. And a great many brave men and women neither complied nor escaped.

And I am in need of a single-shot, big-bore, long-range rifle that is home-makeable with little or no proprietary firearms-making tools.
Preferrable caliber is 20mm or more. Cartridge must be homemade as well

No mention was made of explosive projectiles. He's looking for a large bore bullet. Today, we generally define a gun as a cannon, by its ability to fire an explosive shell, rather than strictly by bore size. (common military definition. Legal definitions can be much different)

So to sum it up, with the level of technology you are talking about you could make a 20mm smoothbore or rifled cannon, but you would be getting 1880s level of ballistics, not exactly a good anti material or long range anti-personnel weapon system.

As long as you are looking at homemade ammunition (including powder), this is a very accurate summation. However, even a accurate black powder "cannon" can be effective, if not as effective as something more "modern".

Something else to consider, since you are looking at a single shot, why not a muzzleloader?

The questions of "should it be done" and "is it legal" are different questions, and not what was asked.
The way I see things, it's similar to asking "What kind of shoes should I wear to jump off this 50 story building?"

The RIGHT answer may not always be to the question that was asked
Often an entire premise is so flawed that discussing details is futile

Check out the homemade .50 cal rifles the Karen are building in Burma . They are making the junta keep thier heads down . They are working on a 3rd genaration of this rifle that would give some mass market rifles a run for the money .

A few single shot rifles against a massive invasion by the largest army in the world? A lot of guts, there, but I can't imagine that there would be any effect at all on the enemy. Besides, recent Chinese tactics indicate they will gain what they want with economic forces, not military. They don't need to fight a war to conquer the U.S.; they can simply foreclose.

Jim

What effect of a single shot big bore on an military force? Maybe effective to sniper a helicopter, a government one if rebel get hold of it.

I'd like to point out that the Philippines were in that position, within living memory. And a great many brave men and women neither complied nor escaped.

This.

What to do if you must contemplate the choice between the the unthinkable (submisssion) and the impossible (flight)? PhillipineExpedient, I salute you for your forethought.

Too many people in modern society have a mindset that because a goal is difficult, and possibly unattainable, then it is a "bad idea". Nothing could be further from the Truth! The first "Pilgrims" did not set out for America because it was deemed to be an easy life...... likewise, the settlers packing up for "Kantuckee" or "Or-egon" or "The Great Basin" .....they went because of Freedom ....

The World is so much smaller now ..... there is now nowhere left to run, without spacecraft .... so submit if you will ..... some of us will NOT. There are worse things than failure, and worse things than death.

Too many people in modern society have a mindset that because a goal is difficult, and possibly unattainable, then it is a "bad idea".
The idealogical goal is admirable, but the idea of a "homemade" 20 mm rifle and ammo is poor tactics.

Odds are great that even if it could be built, it will blow up on the first round.

There are better ways to fight

With regards to the concern of "a retina being blown off:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT-20_(rifle)
It's recoilless, and 20mm

And i acknowledge that it maybe a "bad idea", but the only other guns i know that can outrange a .50BMG are the CheyTac M200 Intervention and the Barrett .416 chambered rifles. If you know any more rifles and cartridges that can outrange a .50BMG, let me know

And i can't defeat an entire army all at once. i know that.

Last edited:
Odds are that any conflict will be naval, and generally around the Spratly Islands. Invasion is pretty much unlikely. At sea, any one individual's odds are seriously poor to none.

So many are quick to forget how much damage small Gorila bands did during WW2 . I enjoy hearing from Patriots that will defend there Country from a invading Military force . Defence is a big part of my Prepps . A recoiless rifle may be do'able but it would not be a sniper rifle . I think gathering small arms and the means of careing for them and ammo would be the way to go . Now a homemade cannon may be worth looking into .

So many fail to realize that China will not waste time fighting a humanitarian war as we do. They would level the Island with artillery.

How many artillery rounds were used in the 2 World Wars . Not much has changed in coventional Warfare . The only thing that makes China a super power in its limited Nuclear capability and cheap labor . Thier only Blue Water Military vessels are out dated Russian ships they bought and dressed up to apear modern and very few of them . They could use Nukes but I dont think they would come out on the winning side of a exchange with the West .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back