Home defense help

vito said:
I'm curious why a semi is recomended over a pump for someone who will not shoot it a lot.

I run a lot of matches at the local clubs. At least every other month I see a new or inexperienced shooter using a pump shotgun either forget to pump it or short stroke the action after their first shot. Very few of them have any concept of immediate action procedures and generally stand there looking at the gun trying to figure out why it won't shoot.

I can't imagine things getting any better in a real world high-stress home defense situation.

I also regularly see people coming to the line and forgetting to chamber a round, even after being told to "make ready". This failure obviously applies to any kind of action, again, I don't see things getting any better for them in a real situation.

My experience has been that if you're going to train and practice with your equipment everything will be fine. If you're a once a year type shooter or want something in the closet you're never going to shoot "just in case", keep things as simple as possible.

Last edited:
Please link to 00 buck ammo in 20 gauge.
Although 00 isn't a factory made shotshell any longer for 20 ga (my bad) Although. Not a big deal. #1 Buck is available. Being 30 caliber in diameter. A 20 ga. 3" shot cup of 9-pcs. > #1 Buck_ no doubt is just as damaging on the human torso as 0-0. ~~(RIO brand)

BTW here is a bunch of 2-triggered shotguns with 20 " barrels some having a decent recoil pad that won't drain the savings account.
(Simplicity of operation in the dark for either gender is always preferred)

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/side-by-side-shotguns

When I moved to the USA from Canada, in 2003, I had to leave my factory 14" barrel for my 870, behind. That whole package was so amazing.

Remington 870, 14" Barrel, bead sight painted with white fridge paint, full pistol grip stock, two round extension, just came to the end of the barrel!
Great butt pad, eat the recoil. Elastic 5 shot holder, mounted on the receiver!

Shot tactical matches, could fire that gun like a full auto! Center hits with slugs.

When I taught shotgun Pull that pump back like you are trying to put it through your shoulder (you will not break it) and forward like you are trying to take it off the end! But shooting it in the house? Without ear protection! 9mm is just about as much as I can envisage.

To the OP, a pump shotgun is an excellent choice, and the Mossberg is one of the most highly regarded.

I definitely recommend training. In the meantime, you might consider taking a look at this:

https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/product/fundamentals-of-defensive-long-guns-dvd/

It's not a substitute for training, but it's a good introduction to the concepts, and there is a section on running a pump shotgun.

The important thing is practice. Make it an ingrained habit to pump the gun after every shot, and shoot it enough that competently using the action release, working the action, etc. become deeply ingrained. And follow the Four Rules of Gun Safety religiously.

--------------------------

Now, a quick rabbit trail regarding small-caliber rifles and HD...

in my own experience, using rifles for home defense in residential areas is highly irresponsible.
Depends on the rifle and the load. 55gr civilian .223 JHP or non-bonded SP penetrates less in drywall, and has less wounding ability after penetrating even one full wall, than either 9mm JHP or 00 buckshot. If the rifle is loaded with FMJ or some bonded core hunting bullets, or is a larger caliber than .223/5.56mm, it may out penetrate a pistol or 00 buckshot, but the lighter, more fragile .223/5.56mm loads don't.

http://www.how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

Also see Roberts G.K., "Law Enforcement General Purpose Shoulder Fired Weapons: the Wounding Effects of 5.56mm/.223 Carbines Compared with 12 ga. Shotguns and Pistol Caliber Weapons Using 10% Ordnance Gelatin as a Tissue Simulant, Police Marksman, Jul/Aug 1998, pp. 38-45.

"When used with effective ammunition, the 5.56mm/.223 carbine simultaneously offers both greater effective range and less potential downrange hazard to bystanders than a 12 ga. shotgun, handgun, pistol caliber carbine, or SMG, as well as far greater potential to incapacitate a violent criminal than any handgun, pistol caliber carbine, or SMG."

Roberts actually dismissed the lightish 55gr JHP/SP loads as not offering *enough* penetration for law enforcement use, though I personally think a little less penetration is ideal for civilian HD use. The heavier JHP loads that the Roberts et al. study rated most highly still penetrate less than a lot of 9mm JHP.

Bare gelatin:

Win 69 gr JHP-BT Match S223M
Vel (avg) 2758 fps
Ave penetration 11.9 inches
Ave frag 74.6%

Black Hills 75 gr JHP Match
Vel (avg) 2580 fps
Ave penetration 13.3 inches
Ave frag 44.1%

9mm Fed 147 gr JHP 9MS [for comparison]
Vel (avg) 1043 fps
Ave penetration 13.2 inches
Ave frag n/a

Gelatin after passing through interior wall:

Win 69 gr JHP-BT Match S223M
Ave penetration 13.3 inches
Ave frag 79.5%

Black Hills 75 gr JHP Match
Ave penetration 13.0 inches
Ave frag 38.4%

9mm Fed 147 gr JHP 9MS [for comparison]
Ave penetration 22.8 inches (!)
Ave frag n/a

The sound factor was also mentioned earlier. I will admit, in the heat of the moment, you may not notice the sound nearly as much with the adrenaline pumping. But if you've never fired any type of firearm inside a closed structure without hearing protection...the effects are very long lasting, and the increased adrenaline will definitely affect any followup shots without proper practice. The more you train, the more your mechanical instincts will kick in and take your brain out of the equation in those situations.
There are three factors that determine firearm noise/blast: (1) gas volume, (2) gas pressure at the moment the gas is vented to the atmosphere, and (3) whether or not a muzzle brake or comp is present; bore diameter also seems to play a role in the peak pressure, possibly because the pressure is dumped faster at the moment of muzzle uncorking. Gas volume is determined by the amount of powder in the cartridge; pressure at uncorking is heavily affected by barrel length and whether or not there is a barrel/cylinder gap.

The result, though is that a 16"+ .223 *without* a muzzle brake is about the same dB as a 4" 9mm or an 18.5" shotgun, and much less loud than a .357 revolver shooting full-power loads. Add a brake to the rifle (or worse, 14.5" with a pinned brake) and the rifle will be far louder, though.

</rabbitTrail>

Last edited:
Back