Home defense help

Left eye,
This is the ultimate home defense in Texas:
IMG_7262_zps9bu3s0si.jpg

But #4 buckshot is fine.

No. 4 shot may not be as effective as you would like if your opponent is wearing a heavy jacket or is holding something in front of his torso. No. 1 shot will be better.

Find someone with a 12-guage and a 20-gauge, and try them out. Consider the shot pattern, of course, but also recoil and second shot recovery. Then make your decision, and get a barrel length and magazine tube capacity suited for interior home defense.

Do train your wife in loading, aiming, and firing the shotgun, she may need to use one day.

If you can, I really recommend you and your wife trying a variety of firearms to see what works best for you. I've taken a few novice shooters through the "I need a gun for home defense" range trip and best results (good hits in minimal time) are almost always obtained by an intermediate caliber rifle.

Shotguns certainly work well for people who can get accustomed to them but they are low capacity (outside of NY anyway) and people often have trouble with recoil and length of pull. Some of the newer semi shotguns can tame recoil quite a bit though.

I've never had anybody do better with a handgun than a long gun; but I've had almost all the new shooters choose a handgun anyway. Their reasoning was they wanted something they could carry and conceal if necessary - and honestly, I think new shooters tend to have an unrealistic view of the ability of any firearm to stop a threat so they don't appreciate how much a rifle or shotgun changes that. But pistols certainly do have advantages as well, you trade power and accuracy for better access.

I thought the helpful people here were joking, with the move to Texas/Florida! But they are not! Just took a look at the Hitler like rules in NY State, re guns!

WOW! Move! No Snow! No shoveling snow, no driving in snow! Houses are half price. Join a gun club, shoot outdoors all year. Don't know what you do for a living, but lots of work in and around Orlando.

Don't wait till you retire. And no I am not joking.

In general, at indoor ranges up to 10 yards, a shotgun buckshot round won't spread much. At those ranges the chances are very high for most to all of the load to land on the target, assuming you hit what you aimed at :) A quality pump shotgun like a Mossberg, with 00 Buckshot, should serve you well if you go the shotgun route but ultimately you'll have to pick what fits your situation the best.

Another vote for first get training - specific training on home defense.
Then worry about what gun to buy.
Just about any choice you make before knowing what to do with it will probably be wrong anyway.
Regular ole shooting skills are not anywhere good enough.
Compares to surviving deadly encounters about like driving on the freeway does to racing 150 mph motorcycles.
In other words - it doesn't.
There's plenty of talented instructors around, even if you have to travel some.
Your family will thank you and actually will still be around to do so.

Last edited:
My 2 cents on relying on dogs for home protection:
Easily replaced with an inexpensive alarm system.
And you won't have expensive veterinarian bills and have to feed it other than a few batteries once in awhile.

I'm in NY in Nassau County and feel your pain. The best advice I can give you is to go with a 357 Magnum revolver to start (S&W 686 or Ruger GP100), and load it with 38 Special LSWC +P loads for home defense.

The 357 Magnum revolver has a very simple manual of arms, open the cylinder and it is safe, close it, and it is ready to fire. If a round doesn't go off, pull the trigger again...very easy and simple. The 357 Revolver is very versatile and you can use it for target shooting, hunting and defense, so it is a good investment. With 38's it is a powder puff to shoot and much easier to shoot accurately.

The 38 Special LSWC +P is known as the "FBI Round" and has given very good service over the years and won't over penetrate or have excessive muzzle blast and noise...all top considerations when firing a gun in an enclosed space. The last thing you need is a blinding flash and ear splitting noise to disorient you when you are in a fight or flight situation.

Stay away from 357 Magnum for home defense, due to the muzzle blast and noise inherent in that round when firing in an enclosed space like your home.

With the revolver, you can have it on your person or conceal it behind you if you have to open your door at night. You cannot do this with a shotgun or rifle. If there is a cop knocking on your door in the middle of the night, you don't want him to be greeted by a long arm. That might get you shot.

I would steer clear of a rifle or shotgun for the above mentioned reasons and also because, with a rifle, you will have over penetration issues and be a danger to people in other rooms or your neighbors.

One last thing, and probable the most important... GET TRAINING on the Judicious Use of Deadly Force and know the NYS Penal Code. You need to not only learn how to use your weapon but to use it so you don't suffer the consequences in court.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I suppose a Mini-30 or 300 blackout is as good as anything. I much prefer a good semi-auto carbine to a shotgun. Easier to reload; larger capacity; more effective round; can clip mags together if you're in one of those restricted states.

Pump shotguns are a PITA to shoot, load and reload (in my very humble opinion). Most semi-auto shotguns are not nearly as reliable as most would have you believe. I will occasionally see folks shooting really nice semi-auto shotguns at skeet/sporting clays that jam - and these are the $2,000 semi-autos. My $350 O/U Bakail 12 gauge never fails.

I do have kids. And that is what scares my wife. I think more the possibility of them getting into the safe then an actual accident where the kids get shot.

One thing with your own kids is that they probably won't destroy, scratch, or mark up something that they try to break in to. They might try to crack the code (especially with friends). You just need something that is effective if that's your main concern with safe storage.

For example, this keyed lock was developed from customer feedback where they had similar concerns. It allows the push-button lock to be dead-bolted so that even if the correct code is entered the lock will not open when it is engaged. It would be engaged if you left your gun in there when you are away and then set to neutral when you want quick access at night. The backup key entry function can also be disabled if there is a concern of having a key available.

uc

What do you mean by a "more effective round?"

At some distance, the 30 caliber round will be more effective than birdshot or buckshot. And, it's (IMHO) more effective than 5.56.

The original post, more than anything, screams out that the individual needs some basic gun education and experience. The post is filled with misinformation, but everyone needs to start somewhere. With training and practice, a shotgun can be a very effective home defense firearm, and when you consider how long it will take him to get the necessary permits to buy and then practice with a handgun, a short barreled shotgun makes the most sense.

I strongly recommend asking friends, relatives and co-workers about helping you get at least the basics so that you can feel reasonably confident about having that shotgun under or next to your bed. But whatever you do, do not neglect securing that gun. The likelihood of you actually needing it to defend your family is likely very low, but leaving a loaded gun around a house with children, and maybe other children who come to play with yours, is a recipe for disaster. If you believe you have properly prepared your children and that they will never, ever go get Daddy's gun to show a new friend, or play with, etc., you are naive and dangerous.

Once you get the permit to own a handgun, I concur with the recommendation for a good 4" barrel 357 revolver, or at least a 38+p revolver. Not only is it easier to fire, absolutely reliable (assuming you get a quality brand such as S&W or Ruger) with factory ammo, but with an inexpensive small safe secured inside your dresser or closet you can get the best of both worlds: the gun is secure from children and visitors of all types, and is quickly accessible for you and your wife (she needs training as well). Have a good flashlight next to the gun, or get a gun with a rail to which a light can be attached. Then practice and practice and practice. Also, develop a home defense plan, so that when that crash occurs in the dark of night, everyone in the family knows exactly where to go and who is to do what.

Taking a class and renting some firearms at a range before you buy is a great idea. A home defense firearm that requires two hands should probably have a flashlight mounted to it. Any firearm should be secured or under your direct control at all times if you have young kids in the house.

If you choose a shotgun, pattern it with different loads at different distances, including the farthest you might have to shoot. I would measure the distances in the house and find the maximum you might have to shoot, then try different loads at that range. You are responsible for every projectile that you fire, so every pellet must be within an eight inch circle at the furthest distance you might have to shoot, in my opinion.

More importantly, how long is the longest possible shot inside your home? For most, it seems to run between 30-40 feet depending on layout, hallways, etc.'
which is 10-15 yards.

No argument there. Just how big is your freaking house?

Big enough to where I don't want to destroy it eradicating cockroaches with a pump shotgun spraying lead everywhere!

Do you live in a tightly packed community where rounds leaving your house are going to land in your neighbor's house? If so a 7.62 rifle might not be the best choice.

Beside which the OP lives in NY. His choices will be limited.

Do you live in a tightly packed community

Personally, no, the lots are all at least an acre. All houses are concrete block construction. I have shotguns, it's just that I'd prefer to use a pistol for home defense; but if I couldn't obtain a pistol, then something along the lines of a 7.62x39 carbine is what I'd opt for.

My experience with semi-auto shotguns is that they are big and finicky. Pump shotguns only hold about 6 rounds and reloading is not really a possibility.

Last edited:
Back