Home defense help

My Daughter has a Ruger 10/22. Hi speed hollow points, no recoil, big argument about owning a pistol (significant other is terrified of pistols! I have a new, in a box G19 for her?) but still in my safe.

This 10/22 has never failed to fire, ever. Rotary magazines.

Do not laugh at 22lr! Saw a penetration test of a standard .22, at 240yds, the target, a frozen chicken, so called a thawed one!

When the chicken was examined, the bullet had gone right through!

When it was cut open, the frozen plastic bag of guts? Still frozen? Straight through that as well. So two or three hits, center chest, RIP. When it is all you have, it is all you have! She also has a yard tall dog!

This little rifle is very lethal, look it up. And no big deal reference laws.

Last edited:
Go shooting, find a reliable one you and your wife like, and practice with it. I personally don't much like shotguns for that role. I don't even keep buckshot in the house for my shotgun and I refuse to trust bird shot (have seen actual footage of a female college student take a hit of bird shot to the chest and face during an attempted school shooting and calmly walk away). My personal choice is a 9mm handgun (I know that's hard for you to get) and escalation to my .223 AR15 with ballistic tip ammunition

Shotgun and apply for the handgun permit. You didn't mention if you had kids, but it's nice to have a free hand if you are rounding them up.

I do have kids. And that is what scares my wife. I think more the possibility of them getting into the safe then an actual accident where the kids get shot.

The opinions I have heard are from gun owners, gun store owners or professionals at Instructional academies.

I would definitely take the NRA 8 hour shotgun class before doing anything just because my concern is the kick on such a high powered weapon. Also they would teach you the mechanics of the gun and basics like how to clean etc. I would never just run to the store and buy something. The idea definitely makes me nervous without having a professional guide me in the beginning. However we do have a decent amount of ranges where you can go and 2 hour classes are available from NRA certified instructors so I believe I would become fairly informed quick. I took their rifle course and was impressed and plan on taking the 8 hour NRA pistol class for similar purposes.

As said, take the basic courses before getting into the weeds of Internet ammo and gun opinions. Shotgun - enuf said. AR - why of course. 45 in a handgun, NO a Glock - get a Model 10 in 38 SPL. Blah, blah.

I can't stress enough to get instruction before a real choice. Then train and practice with it.

I have been around firearms my whole life. Hunting and fishing is a way of life. Competed in NRA Bullseye Target Matches , have been reloading my own ammo since 1967. Have revolvers and pistols of all types and I can shoot them.

Next to the bed is a 12 gauge pump , with an 18 inch barrel , cylinder choked, loaded with #4 buckshot. 5 in the magazine and an elastic ammo band on the butt holds 6 more 00 buckshot just in case .
A 20 gauge would do , I just had the 12 , so it got pressed into service.
I sleep very well at night with this set up , you can't predict everything that might happen in a situation , don't overthink it and just do the best you can with what you have.
Gary

OP, given your circumstances I'd also recommend a shotgun. Since you haven't used one much, don't feel like you have to go with the 12 gage. 20 Gage will have less recoil but still has roughly triple the ballistic energy of any handgun round you'd use (about 1600 ft# vs +/- 500 ft#).

My recommendation on ammo would also be #4 buckshot. Protect your family behind you on the second floor, and cover the stairs from a shielded position, call 911 and wait for law enforcement. Get training if you can, or at least as much range time as you can to be familiar with using the pump shotgun.

I have a handgun for my EDC that stays on me (I live in a gun friendly state), but my main home defense gun is a pump shotgun.

A semiautomatic pistol caliber carbine-the Marlin Camp Carbine, e.g., is a good choice.
In addition to getting proper instruction and practicing and developing skills, I would recommend developing home defense plans, different scenarios. e.g. Do you have children, how old are they. Many recommend a "safe room" that can be secured, cell phone ready. Become acquainted with your residence in the dark, know where the light switches are, etc. Perhaps setting up internal traps-boxes that invaders might trip over, e.g. Do you have a dog, they make great Early Warning devices.

A lot of very good advice has been given. Your intent to take gun safety and gun handling courses is one of the best thing you can do. My buddy was in the same place as you a few years ago. I helped him pick out a few guns. For the shotgun it was a 20 ga pump youth model. My thoughts on where the little smaller shotgun for home defense would be easier for his wife to handle if she had to. Hand gun was a double action 357 mag. Rifle was a lever action 22. We were told it's against the law to hunt in Pennsylvania with a semi auto and that is where he lives. He lives on 13 acres and wants it for varmints.

Any gun you end it with will be better then a cop on the phone. The main point is to put extra holes in the bad guy. Nobody wants extra holes in their body.

Buck shot will rapidly lose velocity and lethality past 100 feet

Simply not true. My target loads are very lethal at 30 yards. Heavier buckshot loads running several hundred feet faster will kill you very easily. Close home, buckshot penetrated more than an AR - but since the OP is on Long Island, I wonder how available those are?

Number 1 buck, take some classes and learn to shoot.

A good shotgun and it doesn't cost that much is a Maverick Model 88 12 Ga. pump.For home desense...Just my opinion!:D

To sportsfan1970:
First off, kudos on wanting to defend your family and starting with TRAINING and becoming familiar with guns! If you are not comfortable with the weapon, you won't practice with it, and you won't be able to defend your family if, God forbid, the time came to defend them!

Don't be too nervous about the kick of a 12-guage. It isn't something to gloss over, but modern shotguns with a good buttpad are very manageable! The instructors will teach you all about keeping it tight to your shoulder (counter-intuitive to a new shooter) and leaning forward into your shot!

I would highly encourage the shotgun. Power, ease of use, higher chance of hitting your target (still can miss at close range!!)

As far as the "What load, what distance, how effective" discussion...
Eric from IV8888 did a video recently on the lethality of a 12 ga that I found entertaining and very interesting!! Speaks to exactly what we're discussing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F42Bsc8YtnU

I'm a big fan of having a 12 gauge with between #4-6 bird shot cruiser ready. Typically going to be pretty manageable recoil for the normal adult male.

The distances in my house would never allow the birdshot to spread any further than the diameter of a small dinner plate and that is plenty for me.

The course is definitely a great idea and once you make your purchase just make sure you hit the range a ton!

Plus side of the shotgun is you can usually get a longer barrel and shoot some clays too!

I would disagree with a bit of this. At indoor ranges, choke doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter to who? The bad guy? Not so much.

Everyone else? Could matter a lot.

And, while buckshot may "rapidly lose velocity, it is still lethal at distances well beyond 100feet. A single pellet could kill at more than double that distance, though unlikely.

It's the unlikely part, especially after traveling through a few walls that is important. If my unfortunate options are getting hit with a stray 9mm pistol round at 100 feet or a couple #1 of pellets, I'll take the pellets every time. Either will suck but one is clearly more survivable.

OBD, I have never used #1 buckshot. I have used a good bit of 00 and #4. At 100 feet either load would be devastating, if not lethal from an 18" open cylinder barrel.

Why do you recommend full choke? In my experience the more choke, the more irregular the pattern.

Or just move to Texas. Enjoy the weather, hospitality, no state income tax, low housing cost / cost of living, and many other advantages.
And we can get you set up with a rifle, shotgun and pistol at very competitive prices.
(And you can buy a homestead here at very nice price with enough land to use a .50 BMG for home defense out to 1/2 mile.) :) :) :)
...humor for those thinking 100 yards is long distance...

You've never driven on I95 or I75! If you aren't doing 85, someone's grandma in her Prius is going to run you off the road!.............

In all seriousness, both states have great gun rights protection, decent costs of living and lots of adult toy stores of the firearm type.

^^^^^^^^^^ Agreed!
But I have driven down Highway 130 (85 mph loop around Austin) only to be passed by several vehicles who thought it was the autobahn. They must have got the highway number mixed up with the speed limit.

Back