Henry "Long Ranger"

it is hard to digest the words long range and a lever gun especially at 1000 bucks. or maybe long range is 200 yds for that type of rifle. I know I know guys will come on and say they shot running rabbits at 500 yds while on a galloping horse with a lever 44/40but I cant wrap my head around the notion

I don't think anyone will be winning bench rest competitions with a factory rifle, but I do expect it to be capable at 500+ yards.
I watched a video of on it a while back and it struck me as actually a 'lever actuated bolt gun.' By that I mean the mechanics of the action are similar to a bolt gun and there just happens to be a lever use to operate the mechanism. Actually, I think it locks up similar to an AR.

From Henry's website:
...but updates it with a geared action that drives a machined and chromed steel bolt with a 6-lug rotary head into a rear extension of the barrel for a strong and consistent lock-up from shot to shot to shot.

yes the BLR and I think the Winchester with the box mag locked up like that. but we are taking 2 piece stock thin barrel and maybe a barrel band not contusive to long rang accuracy

So far no plans for a pistolgrip, but maybe down the road if the gun takes off well enough.

John has it.
Built to take on a boltgun & the LR does it, easily out to 500 with good glass.

The barrel's free-floated.
Denis

Occasionally with, never for. :)
I've covered Henry products for several years & know a couple people there.

And I've shot the LR.
Denis

Denis, any chance that the Henry single shots will have some sort of accessory barrel program like H&R did? I'd love a .308 with a spare .223 barrel.

Henry Long Ranger .308

OK, they've been around long enough now that there are a few reviews available online. The consensus seems to be "great rifle". It seems Henry has met the goal of bolt action accuracy, and the geared lever action, with a rotating bolt like an AR15, is incredibly smooth. Everyone likes the overall design, the box magazine, and the weight, and most mention an unexpectedly light recoil. The lack of iron sights is probably because Henry is marketing it as a long range gun, something they figure most people wouldn't want to use with iron sights. Rumor has it that if the Long Ranger series proves successful, they'll start addng options, like iron sights and more calibers. Having only a 4 round mag for the .308 is aggravating, but maybe that will eventually change. Or maybe not, with mag size limits being so popular among gun "control" advocates. I do hope they eventually decide to make a brass version, though.

As for the price, no, it isn't a cheap gun. But you always have to pay for quality. And until you get into the REALLY expensive stuff, as far as I'm concerned a Henry is the best American made rifle you can buy. The main shortcomomg, as far as I'm concerned, is that even with a price tag of about $1K, it's looks like it's too popular. Most places have it on backorder, and I'm doubtful I'll be able to get my hands on one in time for next year's Elk season. The only place where I have enough credit to get one, the Army & Air Force Exchange system, tells me they don't even have access to them yet.

I've been waiting years for Henry to come out with a 30-06 or or a .308, now I might have to wait a long time to get my hands on one.

No rumor on the LR with irons, they're in the new catalog.
Available probably first quarter 2017.

The original model is intended to be exactly what its name suggests- a long-range levergun.

Don't expect extended magazines for the rifle.
Denis

Back