Henry "Long Ranger"

It is hard to do a hammer attractively on a break action IMO. I always like the Win model 24 hammer-less profile.

I never cared much for the H&R deluxe. Lipstick on a pig to me. You can't just ad wood to that frame and expect to have something worth looking at afterwards. I had one of the removable choke synthetics, and it wasn't pretty, but it was a workhorse at a very reasonable price.

Henry hasn't produced anything offensive to my eye yet(maybe a bit gaudy on some of the brass and silver models though), so I will hold out hope.

I'm one of those guys who just has to have a steel receiver. My own peculiarity. This don't look like it for me. And yeah, I'm the only guy in the world who doesn't on an AR. jd

I just saw a YouTube video of the "Long Ranger" and was impressed that Henry can charge about the same as a BLR for something that looks so cheap and ugly in comparison.

Somebody at Henry needs to seek professional help, they are living in fantasy-land.

Knock about $200.00 off of the price, and they might have something. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay enough to buy a BLR for the Long Ranger.

I am no Browning fanboy, but I am a big fan of getting my moneys worth. - The Henry Long Ranger does not even come close to qualifying in that regard.

I inspected a long ranger in 308 in person. I already have a 88 win in 308 and also a sav 99 in 243. if it was a 243 it would have come home, I felt it was as decently made as the others. fwiw bob

Last edited:
I realize everyone's opinion is there own. And having different opinions should not upset anyone. It's not a personal attack.

I own a BLR and a Win Model 88. They are both 308s. They both have put many a deer down. They both have their pros and cons too. I have a buddy who had his Savage Model 99. I respect his success with that one too. It's a fantastic weapon as well.

At times, I see what other people see in them when they admire just their looks. Other times, they all just look like tools to me. Some may have been used harder than others.

As far as Henry is concerned. I'm not too impressed with the shiny silver or brass renditions. But I know others do. And that's their prerogative.

I am in favor of an American arms company striving to improve and enhance their product line. I think that's very admirable.

I'm not in need of any more Lever guns. But I am looking for a new gun to target shoot a little easier and more affordable than my 308s. I also want a little more range than my 22s. I live in PA where semi's aren't legal for hunting. And I would like it legal for hunting. Just my personal preference. A box fed lever action in either 5.56 or even 7.62x39 would fit that bill. Since Henry is making one in 5.56 that will probably be my next and maybe last long gun purchase.

I'm looking forward to trying the Long Ranger. I think it's great that Henry is taking steps to add to their product line and trying to do so by upping the standard for accuracy in longer distances. I hope they succeed.

Last edited:
I stopped by a shop today that I hadn't been to since it changed owners several months ago, just to see if they had a LR in .308 I could look at. Pretty sure I'll order one in .223 when they ship, but I just want to see one first. They didn't have any, but I walked out with a brand new BHP instead.

So, not a total loss.

And a Savage 99 today could not be built for anything less than a thousand bucks, even with CNC.
Denis

And I would happily spend a $1000 for a brand new in the package Savage 99 with rotary magazine and round counter with the case hardening like the old time Savages. But I want it in 250 Savage with a 1/10 twist. I will buy the first one they offer. Even $1200 wouldn't scare me away. So I hope someone from Savage sees this.

I like Henry, their attitude and customer service. I will wait for a LR but I hope they do make them with open sights and a model in 358 Winchester. I prefer close range hunting and love to shoot open sights but like the option of a low powered scope if I want it. I have no problems with a scope on a lever gun.

My Marlin 30-30 will shoot groups of just over an inch with ammo it likes but I can only do that with a scope mounted on it. Most of my bolt guns are older because they came with open sights on them. But they all wear scopes. But before they were scoped the open sights were adjusted so if needed I can remove the scope and keep hunting.

I've worked with both the BLR & the LR, both in .308.

Aside from the highly varnished finish on the Browning (which I dislike intensely), I recall nothing whatever that was superior about the Browning in either looks or performance, and nothing that was cheap & ugly about the Henry in comparison. :)

The LR WILL be coming out with irons early next year.
Other calibers are projected to follow.

And the Savage 99 is dead.
Denis

And the Savage 99 is dead.
Denis

Say it ain't so!

It seems like I did hear rumors about a new 99 several years ago but that was all it was. I would pay a good sum for a new one but I am not holding my breath. If Henry makes a 358 winchester I will buy one.

My local GS had an old Marlin with ballard rifling in 35 remington. At that time they wanted $400 for it. Ten years ago that was a lot for a Marlin. Now its a bargain. I looked at it and then went back to get it. But of course it was gone. I like 35 caliber guns and if Henry by chance makes one I would buy it. I wouldn't care if it were a 35 rem or 358 win. I would like either one.

In 2006, a guy sailed into town to make a splashy attempt to get into the gun biz by noisily trying to "Save Winchester!"
We knew it couldn't be done.

By then, not possible to keep the brand or the USRAC factory going where they were located.

A year or six later, same guy made a splashy attempt to resurrect the Merwin & Hulbert revolvers. Un-realistic, underfunded, many grandiose promises, we knew it'd flop.

A year or two later, same guy was "working with" Savage to bring back the 99.
We knew that wasn't going to happen, either.

Sad to say for those who genuinely like 'em, but truly- some designs just expire over their reasonable expectation of life.

The Savage 99 would be prohibitively expensive to produce at quality levels the fans would demand, and the market in general would not support the guns sufficiently to keep them viable.
Denis

Hey Dennis I know the world will never see a brand new model 99. Its just a dream. I don't know what a new 99 would do that the other 15 or so deer rifles I have won't already do. Plus the used market is full of them for less money than what a new one would cost.

And anymore the main selling point on a new rifle is cost. New shooters aren't looking for the pride of ownership in a nice wood and blued steel rifle like they once did. Some of the old guys like me prefer the older style of rifles but so many use the selling price as a guide line for any rifle considered. A cheap rifle with a plastic stock can shoot well and thats all that counts. And since thats all that matters that where the focus is for new rifles from the makers.

Henry makes some really nice rifles. I have looked at them and would like one in 22 mag. One of my favorite rounds. They run around $400 at my local Academy. But an endless stream of doctor bills for the last year have really put a dent in my disposable cash. Its hell to get old. Fortunatly it doesn't last.:D

Denis, can you say whether an option for the iron sighted model would be a peep or tang version? I am not holding my breath, but prefer irons over glass and at least for me, at reasonable ranges, there is little difference in precision between quality peep sights and glass.

My info doesn't specify yet, they're not in production yet.
I'd expect a buck & bead arrangement.
Denis

The Henry singles are break-tops in both rifle & shotgun.
Hammers.
No manual safeties.

Rifles will have iron sights, ejectors.

Shotguns will have bead, extractors.

Walnut stocks.

For now, blue steel frames in the rifles.
Shotguns projected to be pistolgripped in steel frames, straight wrist in brass frames.

Removable full chokes on the shotguns.

Sorta deluxe H&R.
NOT budget guns.
Denis

Hello Denis. I looked at the Henry site but can't find anything on a single shot break open rifle. Do you have any other info on them? I like single shots and really want a modern Rook & Rabbit type rifle. Gil Sengal made one a while back in Rifle Magazine from a Martini in 357 magnum. That would be about perfect. One in 32 mag would be even more perfect.

There is a writer named Colin Greenwood and he wrote a few articles on rook & rabbit rifles and that really sparked my interest.

I have no problem paying a little more for what I want. I did have an H&R in 357 mag with open sights and a 16" barrel but man that rifle was heavy. My buddy saw it and couldn't live without it. So now its his and it is a very accurate little rifle. I shouldn't have sold it.

The problem with the H&R was the one size fits all barrel profile that in the smaller bores made for a very heavy gun. Hopefully Henry will make a lighter weight gun. But if some of their lever gun weights are the norm maybe not. I have handled a couple of levers from them and they were pretty massive. Not at all light like my Marlin 357 and 44 mag rifles.

Sorry, no rook rifle, at least not yet.

There MAY be (and do not quote me or consider this as a guaranteed "will be") the possibility of a rimfire single-shot somewhere down the road, but nothing yet.

The guns are not yet in production.
They are just now going into the new catalog for 2017.

In steel you're looking at .223, .243, .308, .44 Mag, and .45-70.
In brass it'll be .44 Mag and .45-70.

Steel weights will be 7.18 pounds in .223, 7.10 pounds in .243, 6.94 pounds in .308, 6.96 pounds in .44 Mag, 6.83 pounds in .45-70.

Brass weights will be 6.96 pounds in .44 Mag, 6.83 pounds in .45-70.

Those are the latest weights I have.

I doubt there'd be sufficient demand for a centerfire below the .357 for Henry to bother with.
A single-shot .22LR or Magnum might have appeal, but some people are already beginning to gripe about the idea of paying more than Handi-Rifle prices on a single-shot, so a rimfire built to Henry quality might price itself above the market.
Denis

Hi Denis. Unlike some people these days I have no problem paying for a quality gun. I don't buy a lot of guns so paying more for a well built gun that I want is not a problem.

There have been several request for 327 leverguns from some of the posters around here but I am sure there just aren't enough of them for Henry or anyone else to make a batch of them. And a single shot 32 would really be stretching things a bit.

But I am a sure nuff' dyed in the wool card carrying 32 caliber fan. Its just a cool looking little round that packs a pretty good punch for its size. Same as the 357 just not so much. Plus they are just fun to shoot. I won't even dare to dream Henry would make a single shot in 25-20.:(

Unfortunately, too many people today think a single-shot for the mass market should not cost more than $129 & consider it either entry level or a kid's gun.

Those Henry will be offering will be built around the most popular hunting calibers consistent with the pressure levels of a hinged action.

That means no .25 ACP & no .416 Rigby. :)

These will be solid quality guns & priced as such, but I wouldn't expect a wide range of fringe calibers.
Denis

Back