Henry "Long Ranger"

No offense Bamaranger but I dont believe the .308 Winchester is equal to the 30-06 Springfield.
But it out sells and in factory loads, which are what the vast majority of their buyers are shooting, I think it doesn't give up a significant amount. With the other calibers allowed I definitely think they made a great choice for introduction of that action and those calibers.

If they said those were the only variants they would consider I would probably put a 308 on my long list.

Lever actuated bolt action rifle. LABAR. Because, at its core, it really seems to be a bolt gun that happens to have a mechanical lever used to operate the bolt.
Who doesn't like 6 lugs?

Last edited:
I haven't seen any but the early sample I had here, but it impressed me.
Looks like availability's been slightly delayed.
Denis

It seems like quite a while back when it was first announced. As it has been with Remington's pocket pistol, nobody does themselves any favors by announcing before the product is ready for prime-time.

It's like it was really going to be outstanding - then it went into limbo and you didn't hear anything about it all, for an extended period of time. That is never a good sign.

I'm hoping that part of the delay is Henry working out how to match the quality of finish that is typical of the BLR. They are either going to have to do that - or moderate the price somewhat.

I prefer the LR finish over the Browning.
Fit & finish is fine, and I dislike the Browning varnish that the LR doesn't have.
Denis

I'm thinking that a Long Ranger in .223 will be my next gun purchase. If I like it as much as I like my Big Boy Carbine .357 then I'll probably get one in 7mm-08 if they decide to chamber that. Maybe .30-06 if they don't.

FWIW, this will be for shooting 300-400 yards and I think iron sights would do nothing more than detract from the aesthetics of the gun and be functionally useless. To me anyway. To each their own.

Last edited:
I may have missed it in the thread. Everyone keeps saying the one is a 222 but I thought it was actually a 5.56. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DPris said:
Depending on how well the current version does, there's a possibility of an iron-sighted version with altered stock angle in the future, along with other calibers.

Somebody over there is reading my mind. Scary thing for both of us.

I just watched the Henry infomercial and double checked the website. The 223 is is a 5.56. And there will be factory iron sites available eventually.

308 243. & 223 Ideal hunting calibers for those looking for a dandy lever rifle. I like the idea of its not having that funky Safety Button gadget to contend with. But a bit disappointed with it not having open barrel sights.
If it functions as smooth as the Henrys are noted too. Browning will surely feel Anthony Imperato's pinch as will Remline too.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

There are a few Henry's in my family (30-30 Brass, and a handfull of Golden Boys in youth and standard config), but none yet in my little collection... I have fired all of them and found them to be very smooth functioning rifles that shoot well for their intended purpose. Yes, a bit heavier than my Winchester m94 but the classic looks of brass with an octo bbl is a nice old school theme to me.

Really cool to see them thinking outside the box a bit and breaking new ground, I am glad that they are continuing to grow. I look forward to reading reviews from the field posted by owners!

Back