Henry "Long Ranger"

There is no version with iron sights, maybe in the future. In fact I've not found anyone who actually has one period.

They'll sell a few, but I don't expect it to be more than a niche rifle. Browning, Winchester, Sako, Ruger and Savage have all tried to make a modern lever action rifle with only Savage having any real success.

Most people who want a lever action want a traditional looking rifle and this offers no advantages for longer range shooters over a bolt gun. Weight with optics is going to be around 8 lbs. Most bolt guns will beat that and with a barrel 2-4" longer and with better accuracy. With a low powered 1-4X scope I think it makes a better brush gun that could be pressed into moderate range use than a true long range gun.

But I'll say this, if I were buying a Henry, this is the one that appeals the most to me, and think I like it better than the Browning. But until I actually hold one I reserve the right to change my mind.

As I said- Iron sights on the LR in early 2017.

That involves two different stock angles, a lower one for irons (new) & a higher one (currently) for scopes.

The LR is shipping in original configuration in .243 & .308, they're still working on the .223 mag.

Browning's BLR has been in production for decades now, they've sold more than a few & as you notice, the Savage has been dead for several years.
The Henry is a product-improved Browning, if you choose to view it that way.

There IS a market for a longer-range levergun in popular hunting calibers, regardless of whether you want one or not.

The LR I shot was sufficiently accurate to compete with most off-the-rack boltguns.
For those who prefer a good levergun, that & the calibers can make it a very viable hunting rifle out to 400 yards or so, with the right load.

Henry has enough brush guns in their line-up already, they wanted to go longer.
Denis

with only Savage having any real success.
The 99? Designed before anyone on this forum was alive and mostly chambered in cartridges that are now obsolete?

They'll sell a few, but I don't expect it to be more than a niche rifle.
Most bolt guns will beat that and with a barrel 2-4" longer and with better accuracy.
If it shoots 1 MOA off a bench, very few people are going to notice any difference from field positions with improvised rests while hunting. Lots carry 8 pound rifles now. May not be the thousand yard rifle many will look for, but 3-400 should be good and that is the max for most hunters. I think there will be many interested. A success here is going to open a door to Henry to branch out into a lot of areas IMO.

And with the introduction of the single-shot rifles & shotguns following the LR, that's exactly what they're doing.
Denis

Meh... 1000 seems about the going rate for quality lever rifles these days... You'll hardly find a current production Winchester lever under that, if you do, buy it... Not sure what BLR's go for, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were knocking on the door of a G-note.

And so many bolt actions cheaper.. yeah, that's true. But not much cheaper if comparing apples to apples, blue steel and walnut to blue steel and walnut.

The LR is built to be a premium hunting rifle.
If you're looking for a $400 shooter, go Ruger or Savage. :)
Denis

The LR is built to be a premium hunting rifle.
If you're looking for a $400 shooter, go Ruger or Savage.
Didn't Savage think of this 100 years ago in their 99? ;)

Met one yesterday that had been supplying a Maine family with deer through 3 generations.

Yes, but Savage couldn't think of a way to keep the public buying them.
And a Savage 99 today could not be built for anything less than a thousand bucks, even with CNC. :)
Denis

I've got some of those cheapo Savages you talk about and with a little time and tinkering I've made into pretty good shooters. I look forward to meeting some of these new Henry's at a local range and see how well they really do stack up against mine--I would expect them to be at least twice as accurate since they are more than twice the price, right? LOL

The current crop of cheap Rugers & Savages do shoot well & if you're happy with 'em, go for 'em.

Not everybody is. :)
Not everybody wants a plastic-stocked boltgun.
Denis

Quote:
with only Savage having any real success.

Quote:
The 99? Designed before anyone on this forum was alive and mostly chambered in cartridges that are now obsolete?

In addition to a few "obsolete" cartridges, the Model 99 has been made in the not so obsolete .22-250, .243, .284, 7mm-08 and .308 cartridge chamberings.

I've got some of those cheapo Savages you talk about and with a little time and tinkering I've made into pretty good shooters. I look forward to meeting some of these new Henry's at a local range and see how well they really do stack up against mine--I would expect them to be at least twice as accurate since they are more than twice the price, right? LOL
If accuracy were the only characteristic of a rifle that drove value. and we all bought based on that perceived value, H&R would still be making single shots.
I'm not in the market for a Ruger American or Savage Axis. I am keeping my eye on the LR.

In addition to a few "obsolete" cartridges, the Model 99 has been made in the not so obsolete .22-250, .243, .284, 7mm-08 and .308 cartridge chamberings.
Those mostly in later years. I'd love to see production by cartridge. There never seems to be a used 99 chambered in 308 around when I have money in my pocket. You still aren't going to find a USED 99 in very good condition for much less than a thousand. I think the estimate of $1000 for a new production gun is conservative.

DPRIS, can you tell me more about these single shots? Ruger Number oneish or CVA Hunterish?

If accuracy were the only characteristic of a rifle that drove value. and we all bought based on that perceived value, H&R would still be making single shots.
I'm not in the market for a Ruger American or Savage Axis. I am keeping my eye on the LR.
Good point. All of my guns are intended to be working guns--which means they will probably get bashed around in the woods against rocks--trees, brush, rain, snow etc. I don't buy or build guns for beauty contests--though some of them are in fact quite purdy. ; )

The Henry singles are break-tops in both rifle & shotgun.
Hammers.
No manual safeties.

Rifles will have iron sights, ejectors.

Shotguns will have bead, extractors.

Walnut stocks.

For now, blue steel frames in the rifles.
Shotguns projected to be pistolgripped in steel frames, straight wrist in brass frames.

Removable full chokes on the shotguns.

Sorta deluxe H&R.
NOT budget guns.
Denis

Back