Henry "Long Ranger"

interested

Nah, only pics and talk/press.

But I sure do like the looks of the rifle, from the pics anyhow. Sleek. If they do come in around 7 lbs, that will be about their lightest centerfire as well, another plus. A LEVER in .223! That would be counter culture in this age of the AR.

I'd like to see them put a set of sights on the rifle, at least as an option. There may be more than a few folks who would like to use traditional irons, or a peep.

It will be interesting to see the actual retail price. At the suggested four figures, one could likely find a used BLR for substantially less.

Had an early one here.
There's a Kindle review on it through Amazon, if you're interested.

Should be shipping in another month or two.

Nice rifle, and there's no need to bring up irrelevant commentary about anything in Henry's past history or line-up in discussing this one. :)

This is a totally new ballgame for the company.
I consider the BLR a lesser gun.
And sights may be an option down the road.

The LR is built to shoot way out there, iron sights don't do that as well as optics for most people.
Denis

what

Hello Dpris.

I see the weight as a positive and did not intend the comment negatively. Glad to hear that sights could be an option. The literature makes it clear what the rifle intended for, but how folks actually employ it, is hard to predict. Without sights, requiring a scope, may limit the new rifles appeal and application. A lever .308 at about 7 lbs could make a dandy woods rifle for those that want more power, flatter trajectory, and less weight, than the company's other lever rifles offer.

Though I do not own a BLR, I've always had an interest in them. Why do you state the Browning is a "lesser gun"?

Henry was going for a longer-range rifle to butt head-to-head against boltguns, it wasn't going for "brush gun". :)

As a part of that goal, the introductory model was built for use with glass to reach out to 300-400 yards, which most people nowdays don't do well with only irons.

It wasn't developed to be a short-range brush gun (actually has far more accuracy than a brush gun needs), it's intended (for now) as a longer-range hunting rifle at distances most hunters consider their pet bolt-actions should handle.

And the hunting rifle market today is leaning away from irons.
(I am not saying I approve of the lack of iron-sighted hunting rifles prevalent among the industry today, I'm just giving you the thoughts behind this model.)

The barrel goes through multiple steps to aid accuracy, and it gets much more attention there than your average Marlin or Winchester levergun.

Depending on how well the current version does, there's a possibility of an iron-sighted version with altered stock angle in the future, along with other calibers.

I consider the LR a better rifle overall than the BLR because it has no glossy wood varnish, it has a one-piece barrel instead of the Browning's two-piece barrel, that barrel is threaded into the alloy receiver instead of a press-fit like the Browning, the Henry's trigger doesn't travel with the lever & should be slightly easier to adjust for pull, and the Henry can be broken down & reassembled easier than the Browning.

And I wasn't referring to you about irrelevant commentary.
That was a (hopefully) pre-emptive strike to avoid the frequent buzz about previous Henry models having "plastic parts", "pot metal", "cheap materials", "painted finishes", and so on. :)
Denis

hey

All duly noted. Your take on the two rifles seems well thought out. Thanks for your input. I myself am past the point where I can consistently hunt irons under near any conditions, and would scope the new Long Ranger irregardless.

Looking forward to seeing one of these rifles for myself.

I'm not all that interested in their current chamberings, but I am hoping they do well as Imperato has indicated they are open to expanding the line once it is proved out. There are a couple easy variants that would interest me.

I too dislike most manufacturers moving away from including factory iron sights on their products. OTOH, almost none of the factory included ironsights are worth anything IMO. I'm almost always going to be replacing the rear sight and this often seems to result in a change to the front also. Savage used to ship guns with a cheap plastic stock. Some complained, but their reasoning was clear and one I appreciated. Many users were content with the cheap factory stock. Those who weren't almost always wanted some sort of high dollar specialized stock Savage wasn't going to consider providing as an option. Better to pay very little for something that will be discarded anyways.
I'd be content if they D&T+dovetail with plugs so I could add a sight without a trip to the gunsmth. A standardized system allowing the installation of a decent full length top rail might also work for me. Not graceful, raises the sight plane, and adds some weight, but would offer a lot of flexibility for use with commonly available AR sights. Some rails that go from D&T in the back to dovetail in the front on the market. Or just short rail like on the gas block type AR set-up. I've considered adding it to Encore carbines. Something to make it easy to install the sights I want from some sort of available standard without involving a gunsmith.

20 years ago there was probably a gap between Henry and their domestic competitors quality. Now, both due to the competitors lowering their standards and Henry maturing, I don't think there is a significant gap. In the market Henry is targeting with each of their designs I think they are right on getting the balance of quality, value, and affordability. Not everyone fits into every market though.

Last edited:
The stock angle on the current optic-version is set up for a scope, if you install irons on one you may not find it comfortable to shoot.

If you have to have irons, wait & see when that version, with a lower stock angle, comes out.
Other calibers, like the .30-06, will undoubtedly follow if this model takes off.
Denis

I've discussed with Henry.
Hide & watch. :)

And if you want to see the review, it's a Kindle eBook on Amazon now.
Denis

I read Henry's website description and am intrigued--especially by the action construction, sounds like an interesting modern bolt design. I hope they take care with this introduction--their new 41 mag I bought arrived with all the external screws loose.

Maybe it's just me--but after reading about how scary-accurate they are at longer ranges, even compared to bolt guns, I found myself asking "OK--show me" : )

long action

Browning went the long action route with the BLR, I thought it spoiled the looks of the rifle. To me, seems little point in offering an '06, when the .308 is essentially the near equal.

What would interest me would be a wider array of short action calibers: 7-08, .260 come to mind quickly. The short action big bores seem apt too, .338 Fed and .358 Win, but not usually thought of as long range numbers.

Browning went the long action route with the BLR, I thought it spoiled the looks of the rifle. To me, seems little point in offering an '06, when the .308 is essentially the near equal.

What would interest me would be a wider array of short action calibers: 7-08, .260 come to mind quickly. The short action big bores seem apt too, .338 Fed and .358 Win, but not usually thought of as long range numbers.
I agree--except that 223, 243 and 308 are the "holy trinity" of rifle calibers that have the largest market appeal, apparently. When I go to GS's my interest is usually in "oddball" cartridges that aren't market leaders--but then I tend to like movies that get bad reviews too. : )

Hide & watch.
Are you saying it IS a long action or are you saying you think they will release a redesigned long action. I exchanged a few e-mails with Imperato concerning the prospect of a 6.5 CM. That would fill a couple spots on my "needed to round out my collection" list. No commitment, but very positive.
He was much more clear more variants of some sort were planned once they had the new product line proved out.

Funny--I just dropped into one my LGS's and they usually don't have much variety in the way of levers--but their racks were loaded with a shipment of BLR's in multiple calibers--never seen that there before. Wonder if they ran some promotion to their dealers? Over-all I can't see how Henry won't do long actions since obviously they're going head to head with BLR's. I don't know how much hassle I personally am willing to go through mounting a long eye-relief scope on a lever to get bolt-action performance, but one thing that I hope does happen is if these take off they will drive down the prices of other traditional levers. : )

Long-action version planned for next year, that comes from Henry.
That's not what I think, it's what I'm told. :)

As far as other LR variations go, again- give 'em time.

Imperato's aggressively expanding his line-up, there'll be a couple surprises you wouldn't expect from Henry coming out within the next 12 months or so.

He's moving the company well beyond the .22 line that built that company.

The LR, if it sells well in the introductory version & calibers, will see additional variations & calibers.

Keep in mind that with the LR they had to choose one configuration, not half a dozen, to launch it.

The company already had a couple centerfire leverguns, but those were in .30-30 & .45-70, both of which are considered brush guns, as in relatively short range calibers & relatively short rifles, with iron sights.
Not to mention the .357 & .44 Mag calibers that can be used in the role (however heavy).

The LR is a complete new ballgame.
Intended, as I said above, to reach out (which it does) and to compete with a bolt-action rifle (which it does), while still sticking to the levergun field that Henry's known for.

They chose, as Bama said, three very popular rifle calibers that are well-represented in the hunting market, and an "opticized" package because optics achieve that long-range performance.
Denis

there'll be a couple surprises you wouldn't expect from Henry coming out within the next 12 months or so.
An AR lever? Can't wait!:D

An easy barrel swap-out gun like both Chiappa and rossi tried? Now that would be nice.

No offense Bamaranger but I dont believe the .308 Winchester is equal to the 30-06 Springfield. Even with lighter 150gr bullets the 30-06 outperforms and with heavier bullets it easily pulls away. Not making a long action Long Ranger wouldnt be a deal breaker if these rifles are as accurate as everyone is hoping. A lever action with 300yrd+ capability does sound cool.

Back