Help Me Understand the Comeback of 10mm

Maybe I'm an oddball, but I've always felt that if using something for home defense it's better to use less powerful than max power due to noise, flash, recoil, penetration, etc.

Absolutely agree. The same is true for self defense use.

Absolutely agree. The same is true for self defense use.
To an extent. I don't feel that fully loaded 10mm is needed (or even desired because there's not enough real world evidence) for defense against people, but the good .40 S&W ammo has a lot of evidence to show it is a great stopper, a great barrier penatrator, and is superior to standard pressure and +P 9mm.

The 10mm's claim to fame is it is the one mainstream rimless pistol cartridge that is sufficient for large, dangerous game.

Truthtellers -

A) Noise - in the heat of excitement, you won't even realize the noise. If you ever been handgun hunting, you realize you don't even notice the noise
B) Flash - why assume you'll be in the dark? Turn on a light
C) Recoil - true - But felt recoil has as much to do with the firearm than the cartridge
D) penetration - has more to do with bullet design than the power created by cartridge

The great thing about 10mm is that while it is very powerful and probably very loud if firing moderate to maximum ammunition indoors, loaded down to .40 S&W levels it's still more powerful than 9mm is.

Ya know, this is the first point anyone has made concerning 10mm that has caused me to think that maybe I'd be interested in getting one. I'm a fan of 40, but haven't been all that interested in 10mm. I could get a 10mm and have 357/38 versatility out of one gun. Hellwrongwitcha Bruh?! You trying to make me go out and buy another gun?!?! See how ya are? :D:D

Ya know, this is the first point anyone has made concerning 10mm that has caused me to think that maybe I'd be interested in getting one. I'm a fan of 40, but haven't been all that interested in 10mm. I could get a 10mm and have 357/38 versatility out of one gun. Hellwrongwitcha Bruh?! You trying to make me go out and buy another gun?!?! See how ya are? :D:D
How do you think I feel? :)

I bought a new Glock 35 two years ago because I wanted a .40 that was easy to convert to a 9mm. I could have just gotten a 10mm Glock instead, but at the time, reloading for 10mm wasn't on my mind. Seeing how it's coming back and seeing the versatility of it, I'm having second thoughts.

I mean, with the G35 it's still a great size for 9mm and .40 S&W. I know it will be reliable as the smaller magazines would probably wobble in the larger frame Glocks, but the 10mm is becoming more and more obvious as a better choice than .40 S&W.

BTW, you can convert any .45 ACP Glock to shoot 10mm with a barrel change and a stiffer recoil spring.

Why buy a .357 if all you're gonna use is .38 Special? Because you get one gun that can dish out .40 power and max 10mm power. There's a lot that 10mm can do that .40 can't, same with .357 and .38.

I understand the argumen but in my eyes they are different. There's a convenience factor with 357/38 because they can be fired out of the same gun. It's as simple as picking up two different boxes at the store.

You're not shooting 40sw out of a 10mm. So for hand loaders, I guess they could back down the 10 mm power but where does that leave everyone else?

There are several factory ammo choices that aren’t particularly warm. The S&B is 180gr @ 1150fps and it was 14.99 the last time I bought it.

To an extent. I don't feel that fully loaded 10mm is needed (or even desired because there's not enough real world evidence) for defense against people, but the good .40 S&W ammo has a lot of evidence to show it is a great stopper, a great barrier penatrator, and is superior to standard pressure and +P 9mm.

The 10mm's claim to fame is it is the one mainstream rimless pistol cartridge that is sufficient for large, dangerous game.

Ever see someone post the beaten cliche, "Handguns suck at stopping people" or something similar. (Weak rationalization for carrying a less powerful caliber.)

Using the premise that increasing power is desirable as long as the shooter can effectively (subjective) control the pistol.
(My comments will likely be dissected (not by you) to validate 9mm cause of fastest follow up shots, cost, ect... like I am unaware of those advantages).

Refer to my link in reply #18 for pics supporting the premise than increased KE offers more potential

My wife has a Ruger 1911 CMD 9mm lightweight, have not chronographed it yet, so I will use data I obtained from Glock 19 which has similar length barrel.

I've tested some of these bullets by placing 4 layer denim in front of water filled gallon jugs and penetration is equivalent, back of 3rd jug, crack/dent 4th; (generalization that 10mm overpenetrates invalid) what is not equivalent is visible impact / damage to the jugs.

9mm Federal HST 147 gr +P @ 1,044 fps / 356# KE (recovered diameter ~.63)
45 acp Federal 230 HST @ 891 fps / 406# KE (recovered diameter ~.87)
45 acp Winchester 230 Ranger T @ 915 fps / 428# KE
45 acp Remington Golden Saber 185 +P @ 1,157 fps / 550# KE
10mm Handload 180 Gold Dot @ 1,152 fps / 531# KE (recovered diameter ~.80)
10mm Handload 180 Nosler @ 1,228 fps / 603# KE (recovered diameter ~.68)

1911 platform:
My wife is able to shoot the lightweight 9mm CMD obviously quicker than my steel full size 1911, best choice for her, capacity of 9+1 is a bonus.
For me, the subjective recoil difference in a stout 45 acp like Ranger T 230, or 185 Golden Saber +P and my 10mm handloads is insignificant.

Why 10mm? I get an extra round capacity and more KE.
Referring back to the lame cliche "handgun suck at stopping people" - pick a caliber that sucks the least ... 10mm ;)

^ Yeah, I mean if someone feels they need more power, more ft-lbs of energy and they want that in a pistol that's cheaper than a Coonan or Desert Eagle and the ammunition is cheaper too, then 10mm is the best option.

I like the ability with certain cartridges to have a variable power spectrum. With 10mm you can go from strong 9mm power all the way up to almost .41 Magnum power, while in .327 you can go from .22 LR power up to almost .357 levels of power.

I understand the argument but in my eyes they are different. There's a convenience factor with 357/38 because they can be fired out of the same gun.

Sure you can fire 10mm and .40S&W out of the same gun. It's called a S&W 610 revolver - or now, Ruger's 10mm SRH.

Both wheelies use 10mm moonclips (holding 6 rds). So you pop in one clip with 10mm or another with .40S&W. ... Or, if you want some real fun, have the cylinder chambers of either revolver reamed out to 10mm Magnum specs, and you can then shoot all three cartridges using the same clips from the same gun. Easy-peasy.

You're not shooting 40sw out of a 10mm. So for hand loaders, I guess they could backdown the 10mm power * * *

First, I don't water-down my 10mm handloads to ".40-level" velocity. What's the point? I own pistols in 10mm in order to be able to shoot real 10mm ammo, factory or reloads. Otherwise, I would've just bought a .40 pistol and been done with it.

Second, if I do want to shoot something 'fluffy-n-swishy' out of one of my Glock 10mms, which, frankly, is rare, there's a simple solution. I just install an aftermarket .40 tube and start cranking off rounds of .40 ammo until I forget it's not a 9mm ('cause that's what most target-grade .40 ammo feels like out of a G20) and re-install the 10mm tube, and return to the Happy Land of the High-Performance 10mm AUTO.

Last edited:
First, I don't water-down my 10mm handloads to ".40-level" velocity. What's the point? I own pistols in 10mm in order to be able to shoot real 10mm ammo, factory or reloads. Otherwise, I would've just bought a .40 pistol and been done with it.

Well you may not, but if you look back through this post it seems a good number of folks do.

I promise I am not trying to spark a caliber war, I know its been done.

It seems 10mm is the caliber of shot show this year and people are really excited about it. Having no experience with 10mm, I have to admit, I'm confused.

The .40sw seems to be on a decline in favor of the 9mm for reasons of cost, easier recoil, faster follow up shots, capacity, etc...

So people don't like the .40sw because of the reasons I listed above, yet 10mm is now the craze?

For those with 10mm experience, how does the recoil compare to that of a 40sw? If it is more of a push and less of a snap(how I would compare a 45 to a 40) then I guess I understand some of the praise.

Thoughts?
A Comeback? From what? It was never that popular or well adopted. As the posts above show, which left off 45 super, it looks more like millimeter envy, not ballistics.
Flame away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I get the .45 Super, the AE cartridges, and the other things out there that have more power than the 10MM. You also missed the .40 Super which seems intriguing.

Still none of these are available in anything that gives me 10 shots like a G29 does. The Glock line-up (and probably some others) does a lot for the 10MM in bringing it "to the people" who don't want to spend high end 1911 money, want a beat around the truck or tackle box gun, and just want simple.

Frankly the G29, to me, is the SP101 of the auto-loader world. Is it the best at anything? No. For various individual uses there are better guns and cartridges. Still for a one gun "do all" pistol... yep

Originally Posted by Kvon2
I promise I am not trying to spark a caliber war, I know its been done.

It seems 10mm is the caliber of shot show this year and people are really excited about it. Having no experience with 10mm, I have to admit, I'm confused.

The .40sw seems to be on a decline in favor of the 9mm for reasons of cost, easier recoil, faster follow up shots, capacity, etc...

So people don't like the .40sw because of the reasons I listed above, yet 10mm is now the craze?

For those with 10mm experience, how does the recoil compare to that of a 40sw? If it is more of a push and less of a snap(how I would compare a 45 to a 40) then I guess I understand some of the praise.

dano1200r: A Comeback? From what? It was never that popular or well adopted. As the posts above show, which left off 45 super, it looks more like millimeter envy, not ballistics. Flame away.

Wow, snarky is as snarky does. All of 21 posts and you're doing the idjit troll thang. :rolleyes:

Job well done, troll. :cool:

Not a troll at all, but in over 100 posts the OP premise is never questioned. I like the power of the 10mm, but why should I buy a new gun when an hk usp will have 12+1 shooting 45 super?
To answer the OP, it's being touted because of sales. Everyone looks for the new next best thing, even if it's pulling up a little used cartridge that has limited use for almost anyone who isn't selling new 10mms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not a troll at all, but in over 100 posts the OP premise is never questioned. I like the power of the 10mm, but why should I buy a new gun when an hk usp will have 12+1 shooting 45 super?

Because references to the .45 Super don't answer the O.P.'s question, which was about the 10mm's resurgence ... Just a guess there. :rolleyes:

To answer the OP, it's being touted because of sales. Everyone looks for the new next best thing, even if it's pulling up a little used cartridge that has limited use for almost anyone who isn't selling new 10mms.

Dude, the 10mm has been the "new next best thing" since 1983; it's been in resurgence since at least 2003; and factory 10mm ammo can be found on the shelf of virtually every gun store in the U.S. of A., which ain't the case with the .45Super.

Last edited:
The 45 Super is safe in, what, one production handgun? Even the the manufacturer doesn’t support it. You can’t buy ammo anywhere and virtually no one has heard of it. It’s irrelevant to the question at hand

Back