Help Me Understand the Comeback of 10mm

1. Guys that for some reason, hate the .40. Maybe they feel the 10mm would have been more popular if it weren't for the .40 S&W. People may love 9mm and .45, hate the .40 with a passion yet love the 10mm, which makes zero sense.
I was formerly a .40 hater and maybe YOU say it makes no sense but it comes off a little pompous if you have figured out everything and leave nobody to come to their own conclusions since clearly, you have made the ultimate determinations...

In days gone by, the Smith & Wesson 10xx series was a highly capable platform for the 10mm and it was purely obvious that S&W ended production of them because they saw their own 10xx pistols taking away from their project baby, a cartridge that was supposed to revolutionize the landscape and also carried their name in the .40 S&W.

Why I really didn't like the cartridge was because while the 10mm guns were large frame .45 class guns running a smaller diameter slug, leaving more barrel and more chamber and more gun frame and mass... the .40cal guns were a bigger hole in a 9mm barrel/chamber and shoehorned in to a 9mm sized gun. And what was -THE- most prevalent handloading abomination in the mid-to-late 90's? Guys blowing up .40cal guns. Mostly Glocks, plenty of others, mostly because they were sloppy, stupid handloaders but helped greatly by the .40cal round and pistols that were not "over built" like 10's... but under-built 9mm's with bigger holes and less steel around the chamber.

I quit hating the .40cal as I watched it's popularity fade and I watched Glock engineer (unspoken!) improvements in case head support. Powder and published data sources printed bold-faced warnings to reckless and careless handloaders and eventually, turkeys quit having so many catastrophes.

S&W continued to offer the 10mm on and off in REVOLVERS, so let's make no argument about the pistols "not selling well enough to keep in production..." They made over 50,000 of them and retail was approaching six bills, fat cash in 1992.

I always liked that the mere existence of the FortyCal made component bullets always in high production.

I saw this on another forum, some guy had it as a signature line.

"10mm: because people are getting fatter every day."

He might be onto something, people are getting fatter every day, at least in USA! :p

1. A lot of people hate the .40 S&W, some of them are 10mm guys that for some reason, hate the .40. Maybe they feel the 10mm would have been more popular if it weren't for the .40 S&W. People may love 9mm and .45, hate the .40 with a passion yet love the 10mm, which makes zero sense.

I'm a relatively new shooter, for what its worth. I don't hate the .40 but I'd rather have more capacity in a 9mm or more power in a .44 Magnum, for example.

I saw this on another forum, some guy had it as a signature line.

"10mm: because people are getting fatter every day."

He might be onto something, people are getting fatter every day, at least in USA! :p

It reminds me of a scene in the John Wick 2 movie where he is on the back of a sumo wrestler shooting him with little effect until he head caps him...

When I was a "new shooter" I was CRAZY about standard capacity mags. I felt cheated because the Dems had banned anything over 10 rounds. I spent a lot of money on 2nd-rate production high cap mags for pistols I didn't yet own, because I "might" buy the pistols later. In 2004 the mag ban was lifted (expired) so I stocked up on a few Mec Gars and original factory mags, some even marked "LEO USE ONLY."

These days, I have little desire for double stack mags.....I've been betting my life on 5 shots (J-frame) for years now and feel pretty decent with that. I'd rather have fewer of a bigger round in a mag than more of a smaller round. .40 S&W isn't part of my defensive battery but it might become part of my IDPA battery. I don't want anything banned but I don't feel the need for so much firepower. You may have a similar experience as you age also.

Last edited:
200 grains at about 1200 fps is my favorite woods walking load, and I like my 10mm 1911 better for field carry than my .357 mags.

Shooting 10mm downloaded to .40 specs is just silly IMO, just get the .40

Back