Help Me Understand the Comeback of 10mm

Indeed, may be able to shoot .40 is better. Sorry, when the topic of 10mm comes up I instantly think about Glocks, which I've seen being shot with .40 trouble free.

Aftermarket conversion barrels are a topic most manufacturer's don't like to make people aware of.

I'd say if someone is looking at a 10mm and wants to shoot a lot of factory ammo in it, but not necessarily the most powerful stuff, buying a .40 S&W barrel would be a good idea and pay for itself quickly.

but you didn't originally say you had to buy a conversion barrel. Originally you said you can shoot .40 without and conversion barrel.

10mm is easily converted to .40 S&W, heck it can shoot .40 without any conversion barrel or spring changes, and it's also able to convert to a 9mm. I have yet to see a .45 ACP that can convert to a 9mm and be a reliable shooter.

There's a lot of reasons 10mm is coming back. It has all the strengths of the .45 ACP and more, yet none of the weaknesses.

don't mean to call it out but I don't want anyone thinking they can when they cant...

but you didn't originally say you had to buy a conversion barrel. Originally you said you can shoot .40 without and conversion barrel.

don't mean to call it out but I don't want anyone thinking they can when they cant...

Had Glock on my mind with that. Yes, one can likely shoot .40 in a 10mm Glock without a .40 barrel as the extractor holds the case in place to fire. I don't know how many times it can be done before the extractor wears out, but it can be done so long as the ammo, extractor, and Glock are copacetic in doing it.

I can't speak to shooting .40 in a 10mm in anything other than Glock.

I'm not an expert on the subject.
There are some high risk activities I partake in without thought.
There are some common activities I avoid.

Shooting a cartridge that indexes off the casemouth in a firearm chambered for a different round by using the extractor to index is one of those activities many people seem to think is perfectly safe that I plan to avoid.

I have read about cases of 9mm firing when slightly forward in a 40. No quite the same thing, but I have to guess there are some similar effects.

Me, I haven't found a need for a bottom feeder more powerful than 9mm that isn't better met by a revolver or long gun.

10mm vs. African Water Buffalo ---> Buff Lost.

If you want to see good shots put the 10mm to work on big game, check out the Youtube videos of Keith Warren and Razor Dobbs. These guys shoot well, and they are on guided hunts, but their films are good examples of what the 10mm is capable of, in good hands, shot well with good loads, and at reasonable ranges. Hogs, whitetail, nilgai, and wildebeest.

You forgot Dobb's two Water Buff.

See attached pic of one of them.

The felt-recoil of even the hottest 220gn hard cast slug (1275fps/794fpe) is still going to be waaay less painful than that 460 Weatherby everybody seems to think you need over there to take the big guys down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 30
At one point I did a thorough survey of all commercially available .357Mag, 10mm and .41Mag ammo.

The .357Mag and 10mm were very close in terms of momentum and energy while the .41Mag topped out WELL above either one in terms of both.

I did something similar when considering the 10MM and found much the same. Not the .41 but the .357 is pretty good company to keep especially across a range of bullet weights in an auto pistol.

10mm is a powerful round with witch you can obtain serious capacity in a full-sized pistol. Handloaders like it too. IMHO, it's a better round than 45acp. Also, it would make a good carbine round. I think the only carbine that is made, however, is the KRISS 10mm.

ballisticsfunny.jpg

10mm is a powerful round with witch you can obtain serious capacity in a full-sized pistol. Handloaders like it too. IMHO, it's a better round than 45acp. Also, it would make a good carbine round. I think the only carbine that is made, however, is the KRISS 10mm.
Hi Point makes a 10mm carbine if you consider Hi Points to be guns.

My thought is since hk doesn't make a 10mm , it's a caliber war, err, dispute. If you want a ten, research and buy one. Or buy an hk and shoot 45 super. As far as felt characteristics, you already know from years of articles and posts about it. Feels like a bb gun to me, but let us know how you like it if you get one. A comparison with an hk shooting 45 super would be a good thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Scientific comparison.

Attachments

• 9mm-45-acp-40-s-w-357-magnum-10mm-super-realistic-13419876.png
    9mm-45-acp-40-s-w-357-magnum-10mm-super-realistic-13419876.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 56
I think the popularity of the 10MM has to do with its move away from a “standard” duty caliber into something that gives you a viable “woods gun” in a semi auto. All of the guns capable of handling 45 or 40 super are huge compared to the G29

Guns last too long

There is a problem in the firearms industry , guns last too long! The worlds oldest revolver is over 400 hundred years old.
To keep selling products they have to develop a need . The 9mm and the .45 ACP have both been around for 100+ years. They both work.
The trend in handguns is to switch back and forth between small fast bullet and big slow bullet. The manufacturers need to sell you a gun every 3 or 4 years.
Eventually you will end up with guns in the most popular calibers.
The 10mm will work as a defense caliber, along with. 380, 9mm, .357 .40 , .44 .45 , .50AE .
It's mainly about shot placement (marksmanship) and bullet construction.
The End.

The 9mm and the .45 ACP have both been around for 100+ years. They both work. The trend in handguns is to switch back and forth between small fast bullet and big slow bullet.

Actually, one of the design-parameters of the 10mm AUTO was the ability to push "relatively heavy bullets" (Jeff Cooper's words, referencing a 200gn TMJ-FP) very fast.

Autoloading pistol cartridges between .355/9mm and .45 can all pretty much push light bullets (within their caliber) fast. For example, that's why, back in the day, the 185gn +P load in 45acp was suddenly all the rage with L.E. - for a while anyway. It was an attempt, ballistically, to overcome known issues the .45's "slo-poke" loads had with penetrating certain forms of intermediate barriers.

It's when you start trying to send the heavier bullets fast that it gets interesting, like the 147gn in 9mm, or the 230gn in .45. The "top end" speed for those bullet-weights is pretty much a dead end due to the design of those cartridges.

Not so for the 10mm, especially with the advent of the newer generation of hybrid propellants. These powders allow velocity increases with heavy bullets with less pressure than the type Norma used back in the early 1980s when it established the 10mm's original loading specs - 200gn @ 1200fps, and 170gns @ 1400fps.

Now, you see 210gn, 220gn, and some 230gn 10mm hardcast loads in the 1230fps-1275fps range.

As some smarmy wag once put it: "The 10mm is like the Batmobile ... Top speed unknown." :eek:

Last edited:
I have deleted the digression to gender and hand size. It is an empirical question for any shooter whether they can handle a particular grip.

The question is why the market is returning for 10 mm for those who want it and can handle it.

Stick to that.

It's a near-.41 magnum performing auto cartridge that you can stuff a bunch in a flush-fit magazine yet doesn't require a gas-operated system to run. It holds a power and mystique that might not be the most attractive to some but is irresistible to many. I am glad it is around. Makes a great animal defense gun and some have luck with hunting with it.

Gentlemen! Keep all the 10's, and 40S&Ws you want. My first Pistol Caliber was 9mm and so will be my last. I have owned .380s, and the Makarov Round as well, and would not mind having an old M-1911-A1 (Colt-made) just to have one, or perhaps the Norinco Copy. But 9mm is and always will be my Round. You have to stop where you feel comfortable. Plus, I told my younger Brother who loves 357Magnmum, Something he never thought of before. 9mm is a 354 in Caliber. He did not know it was that close. I wish we could get all the Police Rounds that are used all over the Country by Police Depts. but only Hornaday has one that we can buy our selfs, This is the Round used by the N.Y.P.D. called the Hazardous Duty JHP Round. 147 Grain. It is always good to shoot a more powerful version of your favorite Round, but I realize they can only improve a Round so far. Which is fine by me. By the Way, I have big Hands, and the Walther PPK in .380ACP hurts my Hands to fire it. because there is no Blackstrap on the Frame. However the PP and PPK/S I can fire all day in .380ACP Like someone said here it is what the Shooter can handle. I am lucky to have owned the finest 9mm Handgun in the World. the Walther P.88, Paul

>>And people forget that .40 S&W has improvements on the cartridge like 9mm has had done to it<<

Mustn't mention that though.

No caliber war here, just move on.
I said it earlier, HK doesn't have a 10, but 45 super is, according to the charts I've seen, BETTER. IMO and that of others.

Last edited:
Back