HD plan- stay guard at top of stairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like your idea of covering the stairs while the family is locked in the bedroom. When I lived with my parents, in a large 3 story, that was my Dad's and my strategy. It was difficult to get everybody in one room quickly but Dad and I would meet at the top of the second story staircase and cover it while everyone else was safe in their own rooms. Had to do it twice, both false alarms, but we were verey quick and I beleive would have been very effective.

So ,I guess my plan of arming everybody ,from my 7 year old to my wife, up to their teeth and go out guns lazing is No,No :D:D

In my place, when the alarm goes off, my wife heads into the closet to watch the alarm panel (she is armed too) and I head to the back of my stairs. My stairwell is open with spindles & 36" railing which allows me to either blow-out the backbone of anyone coming up or drill through the top of their head down into their neck. I figure if the alarm doesn't scare them away then they have willingly purchased a one-way ticket to some other place. Let the lead guy get half way up, start with the guy behind him, the leads instinct will be to turn and run, tripping on his partner and walking into a lead wall (AR15 pistol with 30 round mags).

The only concern I have not addressed yet is hearing protection. Shooting a gun in the home cannot be a pleasant experience; much less pleasant for the person at the receiving end.

How many folks here incorporate electronic hearing protection as part of their home defense plan?

The best advice is to hole up, . . . upstairs, . . . call the LEO's, . . . and hold your ground.

Personally, . . . I have a 1st floor BR, . . . but if I had my son's, upstairs, . . . and I knew bg's were in the house, . . . first thing I would do is get the swivel chair on rollers and get it near the top of the stairs, . . .

Bg starts up stairs, . . . meets chair half way or so, . . . also meets MBR while he is struggling with a 65 lb chair on wheels coming down on him.

I figure with either 20 or 30 MBR rounds and a 65 lb chair, . . . plus maybe a dozen or so .45ACP's, . . . he'll be convinced to go elsewhere, . . . if he is able.

Being at the top of the stairs is why it is called taking the high ground. It is a positive advantage, . . . only lessened if the bg can shoot up toward you through the floor.

May God bless,
Dwight

http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...c-shields/5587376-Dominator-Ballistic-Shield/

http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...591901-Armor-Wall-Discrete-Mobile-Protection/

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/tactical/ballistic-shields/2146448-Flex-Shield/

I have no idea of how well ballistic shields or ballistic walls or ballistic blankets work or how much they cost, but I have thought of buying two ballistic shields and keeping them under the bed so if the dog or my alarm system goes off my Wife and I can call the police and bunker down in the bedroom with my shotgun or rifle guarding the door...As my Wife is a Librarian and an avid reader I could probably just position both of us behind one of her many bookcases full of books although I would probably get a hernia doing it! The great thing about a ballistic shield is that it is quick to deploy and it is movable cover and can be positioned in front of you or below you or above you wherever the threat and the incoming fire might be coming from.

Last edited:
My personal opinion... the argument of stairwell vs bedroom depends entirely on the layout of the house. In some floor plans, there may be almost equal advantages to both. Some places the stairs will be better, some the bedroom. Gathering family together in one room is a concern. If you are dealing with someone intent on doing you harm, you probably don't have a lot of time. Waking up takes a few seconds, then a few more to fully understand the gravity of what's happening. By the time you get a gun up, you may not have time to gather family. If it's just you (or you and wifey) and gathering family is not a concern, then the bedroom "line in the sand" may be your best bet.

Put a small night-lite on the bottom area of the stairs, and do not light up the top. That way, you can see down, but the intruder cannot see up as well.

This can be made to be a major advantage not to be easily dismissed. Proper use of lighting is important in a home defense scenario.

If you choose to stay at the top of the stairs which sounds like a doable idea I would add some things. One is material that is bullet resistant where you plan to make your stand. Another is a mounted spotlight that points down the stairs with a switch that you can access from your location. When a BG comes up the stairs flip the switch and they are blinded and you may not have to fire a shot, a big win. My home is quite different and my stand would be from the bedroom door. I have a clear feild of fire to my front door and the stairs that leads to our family room and back door.

I have a .45 double stack and a few shotguns along with an AR. I dont worry about home invasions as the odds are very long that it will happen. If it does then they will face a 55yr old Jarhead with trigger time who is well armed and ready to take care of business. I dont live my life worried about what may happen. i just keep a few guns close by and will deal with it if it happens. As soon as most dirtbags know they are up against a guy with a gun they will turn tail and run like hell or they will die

I like the idea of the night light ... it also performs well as designed by helping guests not trip in the middle of the night :p

But in this scenario, I like remote controlled lights (like those by X-10) better. With them, you (or better yet, one of the family) can make lights go on and off downstairs, even though you are all hunkered-down upstairs.

One thing that I have seen in other posts that I liked was the idea to attach a chem-light and a bright colored streamer to the key you toss out the window ... that way your key is easy to spot, day or night ... even though it is more likely that this would play out at night.

Saands

I'd rather climb narrow stairs under fire than be under fire in a lot of scenarios. Like a volcanos rim, while parachuting, walking out of the ocean with fins on(backwards), in a tree, with a straight jacket on, and while traversing a long drainage/sewer pipe. That makes climbing stairs at least seventh. So no i wouldn't set up at the top of the stairs unless you DON'T have one of the other scenarios available and if you don't you aren't well enough prepared.

Home layout may influence the answer, but I can see no reason why anyone would ever want to "stay guard at top of stairs."

One's objectives should be to stay safe, to keep everyone in the family safe; to avoid confrontation if possible, and to be able to employ deadly force successfully as a last reort without getting hurt, if and only if it cannot be avoided.

On'e objective is not to ambush someone because of their intentions.

If I have time to choose a defensive location, it will be behind cover behind a closed door.

I have no reason to expect that I would be able choose my location, however.

Pops said he would always make his stand at the top of the stairs because mine and my big sisters rooms were to the right and the master bedroom was to the left.

I would hate to advance up stairs, in the dark, under fire from an angered Vietnam vet with a Silver Star and an Ithaca '37 and No. 4 buck.

"Take the high ground and hold it."

Last edited:
Our house is exactly like your pops was. Top of the stairs seems to be a great point to defend all the bedrooms from and no one has to relocate, just say put.

The night light is a great idea too and luckily I have one just past the bottom of the stairs in the kitchen that lights the area up so no one trips over the dog in the middle of the night. Of course that is not a problem since the supposed to be outdoor dog instantly became in indoor dog and has since become a sleeps in the bedroom dog. The risk now is stepping on him when you get out of bed! I'm nut sure, do 130 lb dogs belong in the bedroom? (I don't think so)

Exactly

Home layout may influence the answer, but I can see no reason why anyone would ever want to "stay guard at top of stairs."

Well, you answered your own statement.

One's objectives should be to stay safe, to keep everyone in the family safe; to avoid confrontation if possible, and to be able to employ deadly force successfully as a last reort without getting hurt, if and only if it cannot be avoided.

Exactly
The best way for me to accomplish your stated objective is to use the tactical advantage and corner cover provided at the top of the stairs. Not to "Ambush" but to stop the intruder from gaining further access into our home. All bedrooms are on the second floor, and there is only one way up. If I do not have time to usher everyone into one room (and even if I do), the top of the stairs in my home layout represents the logical choke point to confront and stop the threat.

In a further proof of point, looking at my childhood home from a military standpoint, the top of the stairs represents the "fatal funnel" and is the most logical place to defend.

As stated earlier in the thread, downstairs they are just a danger to the tv and Mom's lighthouse collection, upstairs they represent a threat to the family.

Posted by Archer 9505: The best way for me to accomplish your stated objective is to use the tactical advantage and corner cover provided at the top of the stairs. Not to "Ambush" but to stop the intruder from gaining further access into our home.
I see no reason to put my risk to prevent someone "from gaining further access into our home." I'll shoot when they are clearly after us.

If I do not have time to usher everyone into one room (and even if I do), the top of the stairs in my home layout represents the logical choke point to confront and stop the threat.
If you do not have time to get everyone into a defensible place, you have to do what the situation dictates.

But if you do have the time, you have no reason to "confront the threat."

You simply wait to see if he is serious about coming in for you, and take him out if he decides to do so.

But that's if you have time. Consider three things:
  • Most intrusions occur during the day
  • Chances are high that there will be at least two of them
  • Their entry, if they decide to go through with it, will likely be sudden and tumultuous

In our case, there are three possible points of entry on the first floor and a couple in the basement that would bring them up into the middle of the house. Depending upon where we are at the time,, or path to the upstairs may well be blocked or unsafe ,and unless we both happen to be upstairs when the entry occurs, it is extremely unlikely that both of us could make it upstairs safely.

We'll have to defend from whereever we happen to be at the time.

Why would your wife be hiding in the closet, or anywhere else, instead of being your back up?
What would be the result if you go down, if she just hides?
She is just as capable to defend your family as you, isn't she?

My wife and kids are precious cargo. She IS the family I am protecting.
And yes she can shoot exceedingly well, almost as well as the doughter who I would also be protecting. :D
Our boy would probably sleep through it. 17 year olds could sleep through an alien invasion.

Incorporating loved ones into a home defense plan is a stick situation.

For instance, from the age of about 13 on, or whenever I got my Mossberg, Pop and I discussed and planned for me to retrieve my sister and hold up in our shared bathroom. Mom's role was to call 911.

My girlfriend and I have a plan for whichever house we are staying at, in which she calls 911 and stays on the phone with them while I watch the door with either my Glock or the same Mossberg.

It depends on the family, I suppose.

you guys are talking about maybe the stairs door being closed if possible sometimes right? I know this isn't always the case(is with our house...actually the top of door can unlatch and swing open too like a horse barn door).

in the bedroom the BG can't see the target(you). you can shoot that fatal funnel when you want(the door entrance and you easily know when the BG is breaking that threshold. the problem with the stairs is the BG's target is in a much smaller place if you are at the top of the stairs. you would also have considerably less time to shoot the BG when SHTF and the BG's target circumference seems much bigger all of a sudden. Now if you are already stationed up there that helps but usually if there is a break-in you would have to get ready after-the-fact.

Another point; verbal warnings; Massad Ayoob.....

I'd add here that top instructor & sworn LE officer; Massad Ayoob also advises armed citizens to NOT yell any warnings or issue any commands when confronted with a violent felon in a home attack, just open fire and then deal with the subject(s) after you have them contained or help(local LE) get on scene.

I read Ayoob's older book; In The Gravest Extreme at my local public library 2 weeks ago.

He makes a valid point. Yelling or warning attackers may key them into your location or you could be distracted or even ambushed(some may say; bush-whacked, ;)). To use deadly force or fire at a subject, ONCE YOU CLEARLY ID THEM, is a sound practice.
I, for 1, would not yell; GET OUT or "I CALLED 911!", I'd ID the house-breaker, then use force if required in the critical incident.

Clyde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back