Handguns you're naturally accurate with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SIGSHR Fair enough, I'm trying to figure out what it is that I'm doing with an M1911 that has me shooting so much more accurately than my CZ. So far, not much luck figuring that out just yet.

For me it's not the gun but the sights. For example I have several 19911's, 2 DW's with Hienie Straight eight sights I can't hit poop! I can shoot my GI relic's better. I do like Beretta and BHP's.

Yes, there is a big difference in accuracy in handguns. This one delivers....

PardiniFPM-1_zps8e8fa167.jpg

For me, I think, its grip size and trigger pull that are the most significant factors determining shot placement. At a range session on Saturday (happy birthday to me!) I rather effortlessly center punched the target at 20ish yards with my Bersa BP9cc and Taurus 94 but a rental Glock 17 and my XDm groups were sloppy.

This is a difficult one for me. At this moment of time, my 2 Rugers and 1 Rossi 357's are best for me. Before I became an OF and Uncle Artheritist came to visit and stay, 1911's and 357's were interchangable to me for accuracy and ease of use. In my profession though, one mess up would find me up the creek without a paddle or DOA. So, my handguns had to be equally accurate and easy to use.
No two handguns are equal and exactly the same. So, whichever one you carry better be the one you're naturaly accurate with. I'm not a professional but I do have a slightly higher reason when carrying to be more accurate than others except those being in the Military or LEO. Last I can't compare shooting a 38 special vs. a 44 mag. they are two different animals. I hope this makes sense.
Doc

Ruger Security Six and GP100.

I can thread a needle with either one of 'em. If I can see it inside 100 yards, I can likely hit it.

Blackhawk? Nope. I struggle to even drop the hammer on those guns.

At 15 feet, I seriously doubt that it is the gun's overall accuracy. If the gun was ransom rested, it would shoot one ragged hole all day at that distance. The main difference is probably due to sights and trigger.

While Glock's factory sights are great for getting on target quickly, they are not great for precision. Three dot sights are probably best for overall precision, but not the fastest for sight acquisition. Sig's Bar-dot sight is great for quickly lining up horizontally, but is slower for lining up vertically. Black on black is probably the slowest overall. A nice thin front sight will allow you to see more of the target and be more precise as well. Barrel length doesn't make that much of a difference at 15 feet except that you get a greater sight radius with longer barrels.

The other factor is the better the trigger, the less likely you are to move the gun when you pull the trigger. Several people mentioned Browning Hi-Powers and 1911s. A light trigger with very short trigger travel is going to be much easier for people to shoot accurately. A long heavy trigger pull causes people to move the gun as they pull the trigger. Try finding a true target gun with a horrible trigger. People will complain the gun is very inaccurate.

I have a few guns with excellent triggers. Those include my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, my Sig P210, and my H&K P7M8. The 1911 and P7 both have 3 dot sights while the P210 is black on black. The front sight is nice and skinny on the P210 which makes it easier to be precise.

Ruger Security Six and GP100.

I can thread a needle with either one of 'em. If I can see it inside 100 yards, I can likely hit it.

Blackhawk? Nope. I struggle to even drop the hammer on those guns.

I feel pretty confident with a GP-100 but not at a 100 yards! I bet I'd have a hard time hitting a half sheet of plywood shooting off hand with a pistol at that distance.

I wish I could shoot was well as you all.

HK P7 9mm---A laser beam.

Walther PPQ 9mm---Ditto

Browning Hi Power 9mm---I shoot it even better than my Beretta 92, which is to say very well.

Ruger MkIII Target Bull Barrel .22 LR---probably my most accurate at short range.

S&W 686P .357 Mag 6"---Definitely my most accurate at long range. At 50 yds, it is a giant among men compared to combat semi-auto pistols.

Ruger Super Blackhawk, 44 mag.(old model) This gun I've had since the early 70's and with it's reworked trigger is the most accurate gun I've ever shot. The grip of the ruger rolls up in my hand after firing without punishing straight back recoil.

ruger single six 5.5" barrel, 1" groups in bullseye at 60' shooting 22wmr, 2" groups with 22lr, deliberate and aimed. at 62yo, im very happy.

plus my bond arms derringer puts 2x3 410 balls well inside center mass at 10', fast and simply pointed, works for me.

K-frame Smith & Wesson revolvers.....Glock pistols (can't quite figure that one out)......Kahr Arms pistols. There are others, but those are the most notable ones.

Something about the triggers just seemed to work for me right away, with little acclimatizing. The Kahr trigger is similar to a revolver trigger (in DA), so that makes sense. But, the Glock trigger isn't really the same. And I hated the Glock grip(s)....and still don't find them comfortable, but I have always been able to shoot them well (so I put up with the grips and got used to them).

Any kind of DA/SA pistol (and I like that design, so I've had many of them)....I cannot seem to do as well. In addition, I was never able to be consistent with them, week to week. So, I gave them up.

I'm seriously considering making a switch for my carry handgun. While the capacity loss will be significant, I figured if I can accurately hit my target, it's better to lose those extra 7-8 rounds and miss more often than having only 7-8 rounds and landing all of them.

Sounds like a smart decision to me. Carry what you're good with.

My WC Professional, Browning Hi Power Mk3, and VP9 rest in my hand perfectly, making it effortless to get and stay on target. I like my Glock 19, but it sits a little high, so I have to make adjustments.

1911s. They point naturally for me, one-handed or two, and I don't think a better trigger has been produced for a handgun.

My Ruger GP-141. Admittedly, I changed the springs on it and had the appropriate surfaces lightly stoned, so you couldn't call it 'bone stock,' but from any distance out to 50 yards in SA, it's the most accurate handgun I own.

accurate guns

I have a 45 xds 3.3 barrel,had this gun about two and a half years ,and shoots very accurate at 25yds.Also have a t|c encore 12" pistol in 38 special which also shoots very accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back