Gun in the shower paranoid?

1. Whoever said, "more physically vulnerable to rapes and beatings" as far as women go....ummm...I'm sorry, gotta diasgree with that statement. I'm not Ahnold, but if I can't get to my weapon, I still know hoe to make YOU come to your knees....and it ain't gonna be pleasurable.
(I just think that statement was an oversimplification of "how" women "are")

sreising ~

You could look it up: most rapes and sexual assaults are perpetrated upon women, not upon men. Simply being female makes you a target for some crimes in a way that you would not be if you were male.

You could look this up, too: generally speaking, men have more upper-body strength than women do. They generally have more endurance, and generally mass more than women do. This gives them the edge in any physical altercation, no matter how well-trained the woman is. The edge can be overcome, but to deny it's there is really foolish. Part of being well trained is making a realistic survey of your strengths and weaknesses.

Furthermore, few criminals attack people they don't think they can take down. Females get attacked at a greater rate than men do; in part, this is because criminals themselves believe that women are easier targets than men are. If anyone would know, wouldn't you think the guy who does it for a living would?

Like you, I've taken a fair number of physical self-defense classes and know how to bring an attacker to his knees. It bothers me when people make general statements about any group (including women) and then proceed to act as though the general statement is true in each individual case.

Nevertheless, it is still a factually true statement that women are more vulnerable to these types of attacks than men are.

Oh, carrying a gun in the shower? Heh. I decided years ago that my gun would stay on my hip every hour I was awake and dressed. When I shower, I disrobe in the bathroom; thus my gun is locked in with me, and is not available for my children to toy with in the next room. Of course I could use it if attacked, but mostly it's just a matter of keeping it within my physical control and out of the hands of the hooligans I'm raising.

pax

"Well I have heard of a man in New Mexico that showered with his M60, (Not S&W) but he was trying to get all the dust out that had blown into it while he was out shooting."

I must admit i did that(hot wash) several times to my weapons while in the big sandbox, the fine micro dust and sand will dirty it up like nothing else.

I take rather long, quite hot showers at the end of the duty day. The only way I would know that a BG tried to break in was when my 100lb rottie/ ridgeback mix didn't want dinner because he was full of the BG he ate when I wasn't looking... (bad dog! you don't know where he's been! :) )

Nothing paranoid about it. Considering you cant hear much with the fan on and water running I'd say carrying in the bathroom is a good idea. It might also be a good idea to beef up the locks on the door also I know my bathroom door lock could broken easily. Also you could walk out into an ambush so you might want to have the gun in hand when you exit since you could be the last one alive.

Gotta quibble on this one, with no disrespect intended. Two of the finest Soldiers I ever served with were female National Guard MPs. One was a Sheriff's deputy in real life. Both were fit, well trained (both shot and attended Martial Arts classes on their own time) and had a warrior mindset. I'd team with them in a heartbeat. They were two really good troops. That being said, any male of equivelent training and fitness would overmatch them... their only advantage, and they knew it, was being better trained and in better shape than any potential opponent, enough so to overcome any natural size or strength advantage. They also knew that, even with all their training, it was very likely they would face adversaries who overmatched them physically. You have to have a realistic assessment of the threat and your ability to counter that threat.

Whoever said, "more physically vulnerable to rapes and beatings" as far as women go....ummm...I'm sorry, gotta diasgree with that statement. I'm not Ahnold, but if I can't get to my weapon, I still know hoe to make YOU come to your knees....and it ain't gonna be pleasurable.
(I just think that statement was an oversimplification of "how" women "are")

If you are really concerned than do it but.....

I do not go to the gym and I am a guy so..... I fell pretty safe with a loaded 12
gauge under my bed until I can ccw..... :) :) :)

Suppose JSP is right and the number one threat to his life is the cops. It is possible. (I mean look at NO, they jumped in on the looting). Some of the worst traffic offenders I have ever known, all cops. Why? They wont get a ticket, everyone is like Bull****, if a cop speeds we give them a ticket. It's not always true, I've seen cops get out of tickets with a badge, hell I've heard of their wives getting out of tickets to. Back to the point, if the cops were the number one threat to his life, should he make preparations to defend his life?

No one, the pope, cops, me, you are infallible and immune to corruption or gross negligence.

And some one said prejudice of cops is bigotry, it is but with all the bigotry on gun boards reguarding minorities, people of different political ideologies and cultures.....it fits right in.

Me I respect the police for what they do, and fear them for what they are more than capable of. A piece of aluminum and a gun doesnt make you an honest person, your heart does.

Don't get distracted thinking I have any fear, paranoia or dislike of the police. I don't.

The point I'm trying to make is that there are people on this board who are whack. Close to bonkers. And they state statistics and one in a million chances to justify their unnatural preoccupation with being armed at all times. Well, if we're going to use statistics to try to justify an abnormal lifestyle, then lets just go with the flow. The police analogy has just enough unintentional and probably accidental validity to make a point, if that's what a person is looking to do. Similarly, why aren't we marching on the Vatican and stoning the Pope to death? Statistics could be looked at in a way that can justify it, since they're all raping little boys anyway. Aren't they?

I think some of the people posting here are just plain scary. Kool-Aid drinking little nut jobs. And I'm not neccessarily talking about the original post in this thread.

Second to my unease with some people's lifestyle choices, is my utter amusement at how the slightest sniff of disagreement with this lifestyle leads to ad hominum attacks and a breakdown in the ability to analyze the written word.

Do people not see that they have long ago become a tool of the gun, not the other way around? If these threads had the word firearm removed and the word 'wallet' inserted, what then? Your wallet is useful. You generally have it with you everywhere you go? Its unsightly and you wear it hidden. But if you started posting that you were trying to figure out how to always have a wallet stashed in every room, needed to have it even on the beach, had to have 50 different versions or were trying to make sure you had one in the shower with you, you'd be seen as a kook. How much more with something that can deliver death instantaneously?

People tend to distrust and ridicule people who act odd. They fear people who act odd and have a fascination with instruments of death.

If you then go further and group yourselves together under the leadership of a guy who preaches the battle at the end of the world and bury school buses in your backyard, you might not be surprised that your neighbors start to wonder about you and the BATF shows up.

But carry on. Feel free to be odd. But don't be surprised if mainstream society giggles at you. Even other people who actually appreciate weapons for lots of non-addictive reasons.

I note with genuine but wry amusement that the accusation of ad hominems comes from a person whose entire post is itself, by precise definition, an ad hominem.

Although I have to admit, jsp98m3, I agree with you: some people are nut jobs. But who gets to be the one holding the definition book?

pax

I'm not as paranoid as you tell everybody I am. -- Steven Wright

jsp98m3

I'm curious to know if you even know what "ad hominum" <sic> means?
An Ad Hominem is an attack on the arguer, rather than on the argument... which you seem to decry in your post, yet half of the very same post is in fact an Ad Hominem attack.

What other people think of me is probably the LAST argument that will sway my opinion. If CHL holders worried about that we would never have obtained a CHL. The rest of the world won't "giggle" at me if I happen to have a gun in the locked bathroom while I shower, because the only person who will ever know if I do (aside from my wife) is the badguy who gets shot with it. If I am ever forced to defend me and mine with a weapon I kept handy in the bathroom, rather than a fool, I would be seen as a man of wisdom and foresight.

I would also point out that you seem to be trying to protect people from themselves... the exact stance most anti-gun activists take. You know what's good for the people on this board better than they do.

I would also point ot that logically carrying/ having available 100% of the time, in the shower, during sex or whatever is actually what makes sense... it makes no logical sense to have a weapon handy at some times and not others. Consider:

Carrying a concealed weapon is an attempt to defend against an event that is already extremely unlikely. It is unlikely that you will be ambushed walking to your car after work, yet no one here would think twice about someone carrying a firearm to defend against this possibility. It is also extremely unlikely that you will be ambushed in your shower, yet the concept of defending yourself there has generated some heated debate. Logically, if you have already gone to some effort and expense to defent against an extremely unlikely event, why would you protect yourself from one such event, but not another? I would argue that such behavior is similar to stocking your survival kit with equipment to protect yourself from chemical, but not biological, weapons. Both are unlikley, but if you're going to prepare for one why not the other as well?

Second to my unease with some people's lifestyle choices, is my utter amusement at how the slightest sniff of disagreement with this lifestyle leads to ad hominum attacks and a breakdown in the ability to analyze the written word.

Although I have to admit, jsp98m3, I agree with you: some people are nut jobs. But who gets to be the one holding the definition book?

Everyone. That's the point. The original poster asked 'the public' if he was being paranoid. Many don't think so. Many do. Now you might say I'm a fence sitter when it comes to weapons. I've got more than the average American, I suspect. But not what I would consider going over the edge into collecting. I have an AR-15 for no particular reason other than I thought I should make a statement against unreasonably restricting long guns based on nothing but looks. I have a Ruger 10/22 for plinking. I have a BHP for the love of the craftsmanship and home defense. I also have a FEG .380 and a Raven .25 because I got them within the last 6 weeks as a thank you for cleaning up a whole pile of mostly mediocre pistols. I don't need them but they seem to funcion and have their own little charm. I do not see the need to own 6 examples of a 1911. Especially all alike or nearly so. But it doesn't bother me that some people do have multiple copies of the same thing.

I just have an opinion. People that are afraid to take a shower without a gun IN THERE WITH THEM are paranoid unless they live in a very, very bad neighborhood. In my opinion, which is as good as anyone else's. In another one of those opinions I have, I think society owes it to itself to speak up and tell people they might be standing a little close to the third rail of societal behaviour.

I used to be a staunch supporter of CCW but since coming onto this forum, I'm not more than cautiously neutral. There are some people I just can't see having a weapon in public.

Maybe there should be a system for CCW like driving licenses? First 6 months, you can have a starter pistol. Then you can have a .17 airgun, then .22 short. By year 10, if you haven't gone loopy, you can get a .45 ;)

Jim

tanksoldier, I don't have any intention of defending people against themselves. Want to blow your own head off? Come on over, I'll give you ammo. So no, I don't care what you do to yourself. I do have a concern about people who move farther and farther outide of the mainstream until they get to the point that they become an unintentional and unnoticed danger to society.

Besides, if you carry a pistol in the shower, don't you have to clean and oil it when you get out? Then you stink like solvent and gun oil. Then you have to take another shower. Then you have to clean and oil the gun. Then you......

Now I have to get on to other ad hominM&Ms ;)

To get back on topic, no it is not paranoid, lots of good reasons for doing so.

Ms Sreising: kicking a guy in the cajones will not always stop them, I know I was kicked there by a young women in cowboys boots when I used to bounce at a bar, Yes i did drop her boyfriend who was being 86'd but i did not fall to the floor and I was able to head slap her twice with sap before the other guys pulled me off her. Did it hurt? yup like a mofo, was I able to survive it and respond? you betcha. Pound for pound you may be tough as nails, but you go head to head with a guy who is trying to hurt you, and you will loose. guranteed. I am not boasting or calling you out, I am just trying to tell you that is the truth. I am glad you are here and willing to talk with us. you can probably outshoot me/most of us. I just do not want you to think men have a turn off button that you can kick once and we are done. Most of the time too, it is almost impossible to get a kick to connect there if the guy is attacking, we are very good at protecting outselves there and trying to kick us is going to get us very mad.

I would also point ot that logically carrying/ having available 100% of the time, in the shower, during sex or whatever is actually what makes sense.

Umm SWMBO aint gonna like that...

"Why you holding gun now in romantic time stupid old man, I go back to Japan and you lose this wife, no one change your diaper when you are 80"

WildguessillforgetaboutthegunforfiveminutesorsoAlaska

Well, I do live in a bad neighborhood (if you had read some of my other threads about the people across the street) so I guess I'm not your regular "nut job" as you defined it.

Yet, I still can't bring myself to judge others for what they have decided to do for themselves.

I guess in a way I am a "nut job" by your definition though. I have a fire extinguisher in the bedroom, the living room, the kitchen, the spare room as well as the bathroom. I also have smoke detectors in each one. I don't have them from being paranoid, more like being prepared just in case.

My primary heat source is a kerosene heater (really old house) so therefore I have carbon monoxide detectors in the areas around the old heater.

I know, I know, your "expert" advise is for me to 1) move and 2) get a new heating system.

Well, I won't move, the house (for what it is) and the property is mine as inheritance so therefore, I won't allow the neighborhood to oust me from what little I own. As for the heat system, that comes after I finish rebuilding the house so it can wait.

Everyone chooses how he or she wishes to run their own life and what they want to do while living that life. People like you, who think that your opinions and "feelings" about how others should live, should be the law are just wanna be elitist snobs who hate the fact that people actually have thoughts of their own that don't agree with yours.

As for your attacking the membership, calling their intellect and mental status into being is a sign of someone that is exactly what they are trying to project upon others, low of intellect and most likely mentally unstable.

If you had bothered to read other threads and the same members here replying there, you will find many disagreements. But unlike you, they don't lower themselves and start to call names or insult the membership that they disagree with. And if they do chose to insult them, then they will come straight out and say so.

As for what you think about the membership having weapons and/or a concealed carry license, I don't care what you think. You have your own opinions on a subject, we have ours. We don't think that it's paranoid, you do. Yet you don't see us calling your intellect or your mental status into being now do you?*

But don't mind me, to you I'm just a nut job.

Wayne

*except for me who has just done so in this post.

One never knows the where or when of next encounter-CRSam

Define Encounter

I am responsible for me. This includes any firearm and its use, availability, or rounds discharged.

In another life, I had access to portable mediums of exchange. Vulnerable times include was when I was in hotel/ motel. Living in an apartment, Renting a condo.

Access is NOT always controlled by ME. Maintenence folks like exterminators get master keys. As do employees , current or past at hotels/ motels, apartments, Condos. Some are just nosey, perhaps disgruntled, others are not wired right and we call them criminals.

Around kids, or anyone - It is my responsibility to keep MY firearm with me and under my control. Some folks do not have firearm awareness. Some will steal for money, some will spout off and illegal ears will hear.

Yes I continue to take my CCW in the bathroom, I have for a l-o-n-g time.

I have had hotel/ motel folks walk in while I was taking a shower, room service, or somesuch.

I have been in the shower and had the Exterminator show up in my apt, he had a master key - Easier the Apt owners/ mgr 'said' than having to meet the guy at the office at a certain time.

I have been in MY Apt and heard blood curdling screams from my neighbor, very attractive young lady. Seems a "former" maintenence guy had a master key, he walked in on her, her gun was in her nightstand. Flimsy doors, and locks, hairbrushes and blow dryers - just don't cut it.

She started taking her gun in the bathroom. She and some GFs rented a Condo later on...seems attractive women attract certain elements. Her GFs screamed when the maintence guy "helped himself in" , with his master key- ,my neighbor was the only one armed at the time, and was in the bathroom.

I was a kid, I had been shooting my .22 revolver, and took into the bathroom with me to keep safe from smaller sibs. I heard screams, thru the bathroom window. Baby brother was being chased by a rabid dog.

Eyes wide with fear, and running for dear life, he made in the back door. I took care of the dog.

Awareness and being responsible is NOT "location" exclusive. Stuff happens at anytime, anyplace.

Fire extinguishers never seem to be in reach either...when you NEED one.

Back