Gun in the shower paranoid?

Why not claymores and laser triggering?

6 women in the shower? What is that statistically? Many women will candidly tell you that they believe that a man's entire purpose is to be two legs to carry a penis around. Sometimes I think that there are people who feel their purpose is to be two legs that carry their pistol around.

I've been on this forum for just a few short days and already I've been amazed at the religious nature of CC. Showers? Finding ways to carry at the beach?

Again, 6 women in a shower? What is the statistical significance? From a personal protection standpoint, it would be more prudent to constantly carry a wide variety of anti-venom kits for all known species of snakes and insects and wear a lightning rod on your head and drag a grounding strap behind you.

Its even perfectly legal to do so without a special permit :)

The gun should enhance your life with the minimum impact on said life. I get the distinct impression that many people consider their life subserviant to carrying that gun around.

I own guns, they don't own me.

I'm actually surprised that so many people here think that life is a game of Tag. There is no "home" or safe place that you can run to and not be tagged and then "you're it".

Or worse, you're dead.

Why is it such a "paranoid" concept to carry in the bathroom? Is it some how a "safe place" that no harm can be done to you and you're safe as long as you're there?

Crime happens, it's a point of life. And it happens anywhere, anyplace, there is no "home" or "safe place" that you can run and you can't be tagged.

Wayne

If I was a women I would carry everywhere even in the shower. Being a white male I don't think there has ever been a case of being attacked in the shower when there wasn't a prior a percieved threat. So no.

If my wife or son are home when I shower (at least one is there about 99% of the time), I do not take my 1911 in the bathroom with me.

During the extra 1%, . . . it is more or less in the same room as I am in, . . . all the time. Bathroom, . . . kitchen, . . . shop, . . . bedroom, . . . front porch, . . . wherever.

If that qualifies, . . . go ahead, . . . when you get to my picture in your coloring book, . . . do me in paranoid, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

Wayne,

In my case, I just feel that if you can't take a 2 minute shower (what it takes me) without having a gun instantly available, that maybe you shouldn't sleep, go swimming, make love, or get baptized without a gun strapped on either. Maybe there are some people here that do all of the above.

But generally, I think that unless you are an albino living in Watts or Highland Park Michigan, you probably aren't in constant and immediate danger of getting killed.

Even people in Kosovo and Baghdad generally manage to take a shower without a holster for the other "7.68".

So my vote goes for either extreme paranoia of a life threatening event statistically below getting stung to death by bees or hit by lightning or the "I live my life for my gun" scenario. If concern for your life is that high, then my tongue in cheek comments about wearing a lightning rod might be applicable. Moving your residence to the Vatican might also be a good idea.

All in all, this thread reminds me of the Monty Python self defense parodies. Go ahead, attack me with a banana :)

We have four dachsies that constitute an excellent early-warning system, so I don't take the gun into the shower. It does, however, sit on the bathroom counter.

When I am staying in hotels, the gun comes into the shower with me, no question about it. You're naked, deaf and blind while in the shower, especially in an environment where you don't solely control access to the place.

PS: I live in San Diego County. Most of the armed people in this county are cops and a very high percentage of the unprovoked shootings are done by the cops. Maybe we should all draw on them here. Percentage wise, they ARE the most categorizeable group of likely killers.

because I don't think it will happen to me.
Who does? That's got to be one of the most common, if not THE most common responses that victims have. "I never thought it could/would happen to me/us."
6 women in the shower? What is that statistically?
Statistically it's nothing. I never implied it was. The point was that criminals will pick times to attack when we are vulnerable. People who fail to understand that are far more likely to end up as victims. And, once again. I'm not saying that everyone should have a gun in the shower--it was a catchy and applicable title to the thread.

The point was that criminals like to attack when people are vulnerable and yet, in spite of documented evidence that this is so, there are many people who denigrate those who try to limit their vulnerability. You are one of those people so it's not surprising that you're not getting it.

The point was that criminals like to attack when people are vulnerable and yet, in spite of documented evidence that this is so, there are many people who denigrate those who try to limit their vulnerability. You are one of those people so it's not surprising that you're not getting it.

Everyone is more vulnerable some times than others. Virtually all the time it makes no difference at all. Where it does make a difference is in situations of heightened danger, at night in an unfamiliar part of town for example. But living your life in a state of siege is not an option for most people. There are reasonable precautions for people in different circumstances. There are unreasonable precautions.

Jsp98m3 Wrote:

In my case, I just feel that if you can't take a 2 minute shower (what it takes me) without having a gun instantly available, that maybe you shouldn't sleep, go swimming, make love, or get baptized without a gun strapped on either. Maybe there are some people here that do all of the above. But generally, I think that unless you are an albino living in Watts or Highland Park Michigan, you probably aren't in constant and immediate danger of getting killed. Even people in Kosovo and Baghdad generally manage to take a shower without a holster for the other "7.68". So my vote goes for either extreme paranoia of a life threatening event statistically below getting stung to death by bees or hit by lightning or the "I live my life for my gun" scenario. If concern for your life is that high, then my tongue in cheek comments about wearing a lightning rod might be applicable. Moving your residence to the Vatican might also be a good idea. All in all, this thread reminds me of the Monty Python self defense parodies. Go ahead, attack me with a banana

I know that you think you are being witty, but you take things a bit far I think. Is it paranoid to have ready access to a firearm at all times, or is it prudent in the world we live in today? What is wrong with having a firarm or some other object to protect onesself within arms reach at all times? Whats wrong with always being PREPAIRED? It is better to have and not need, than to need an not have. Even if statistics show that I have less than a 1% chance of being attacked in my own home, I refuse to stake my like on that 1%. As for lightning, nothing I can do about that, so I don't worry about it. But I can do something about being defenseless, so I do.

PS: I live in San Diego County. Most of the armed people in this county are cops and a very high percentage of the unprovoked shootings are done by the cops. Maybe we should all draw on them here. Percentage wise, they ARE the most categorizeable group of likely killers.

That is a stupid statement period. That you would even SUGGEST drawing a gun on a police officer should be grounds for removal from this forum. Even in jest, that is not a subject I think ANYONE here at TFL will agree with.

You are entitled to your opinion, as we all are, but there are enough cops killed everyday, without some jackass making light of it.

This thread has inspired me to a new product -- Glock On a Rope! Perfect for that shower situation.

To the guy who leaves it on the bathroom counter -- while you're in there showering and don't know what's happening outside the door, you've just left a weapon out for the BG to shoot through the shower door with.

In my case, I just feel that if you can't take a 2 minute shower (what it takes me) without having a gun instantly available, that maybe you shouldn't sleep, go swimming, make love, or get baptized without a gun strapped on either. Maybe there are some people here that do all of the above.

If I had a mafia hit man after me ... I just might do all of the above while armed.

If not ... the best thing to get is an early warning system so that you have time to recognize the threat and acquire a firearm instead of doing a fast draw from a plastic shoulder holster and trying to identify your target with shampoo in your eyes.

Self installed motion detectors are pretty cheap. Dogs are pretty cheap as well, and have the added benefit of being able to fetch a frisbee.

I don't think it's paranoid to actually carry 24/7.

Gun in the shower is pretty paranoid
Either a gun is paranoid everywhere or nowhere. I used to think a gun in my office were paranoid. So I used to lock it up in a safe after entering my office.

Then a maniac stabbed a business-partner of mine in the head many times until the blade broke to pieces. My partner survived with lots of luck and lots of sugery. I don't think it's paranoid to actually carry 24/7.

The good thing about my bathroom is that I can lock it up.

Normally, don't carry a weapon in the house. I have one in the bed room, and on occasion when I have worked the night shift, and family is out of the house, I might put the toilet seat down, lay a gun on it, then drap my towel over it...I also have the house alarmed and have the system turned on, so might have a little warning if someone were to come into my house while in the shower...sometimes when I'm out back in the hot tub, will also lay a gun down and drap a towel over it...

I'm in favor of every single woman having a dead, or slide-bolt on the bathroom door.

Take gun to bathroom... bolt door... take shower. :)

In big cities like New York, almost everybody has multiple security devices on their apartment doors...

Not paranoid... :eek:

Given the times... it's just prudent. ;)

Last edited:
At first I thought this is a tough call.... but with some thought I'll have to vote for NOT paranoid. For a man or a woman, I think it's prudent. I think women are 1) more physically vulnerable to rapes and beatings and 2) more prone to aggressive stalkers. As a man I'm "less" likely to be attacked, raped, or beaten in my home or shower. However, I do carry MOST of the time in my home or at least have a gun within 10' at all times.

I have a dog that would probably bark, but might also not bark so he's unreliable.

I've considered a gun in the shower but don't currently because of moisture issues and laziness. Occassionally I'll set my gun (along with wallet, keys, phone, etc.) on the counter in the bathroom while I'm taking a shower and lock the door to the bathroom. I like the gun between the towels idea posted above because I can reach that in about 1 second and it won't get very moist if folded between two towels. I'll start doing that today.

If you think about the WORST possible place to be faced with a BG it would be in the shower. You would be completely relaxed and taken by suprise. You would be standing there, naked, on a slippery surface. In essense, you would be completely helpless -- no weapon, no phone, no protective clothing, and no place to retreat. And, your naked dead body would be a gruesome sight! Not the way I want to be killed.

Good Ol'Hitchcock....the bathroom scene...got us all didn't it? Love the Glock on a Rope idea...have you got a patent yet?

Just bring this up, cause in reality it could be any room, but being the bathroom, it catches everyone at their most vunerable moment...neekid, in the shower.

For all those who take their weapons into the bathroom during their shower, how do you prevent rust damage to the internals from steam? (notice, I distinctly said "weapons" and not "guns". :D ..)

There is always a pistol in my bathroom, simply because this is the place my wife would go to in case of a home invader. I stay in the bedroom covering the entry, she moves to the bathroom, grabs the pistol, waits for the all clear.

That is a stupid statement period. That you would even SUGGEST drawing a gun on a police officer should be grounds for removal from this forum. Even in jest, that is not a subject I think ANYONE here at TFL will agree with.

Its not stupid. It's idiotic, on the verge of moronic. But if I went by statistics, I'd have to take LEO as my numero uno threat to life and limb from attack with a deadly weapon.

I'm not trying to be cute or clever. I'm trying to get you to peek out of the bunker :)

Back