• .22 pistol / rifle - bang scares animals and is light

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • .38 / 9mm pistol / carbine - adequate stopping power for most encounters

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • .40 / .45 pistol / carbine - proven stopping power

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • .357 mag / .44 mag - I will haul the weight - great stopping power

Votes: 49 37.1%
  • 5.56mm rifle - My AR will stop those beasts....

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 308 / 7.62mm - heavy round does the talking

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • 12 ga - the mother of all defensive loads.

Votes: 51 38.6%
  • 30-06, 7mm rem mag - long range shooter

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • .375 H&H, .460 weather mag - elephants - NP

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other....

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
I hope this doesn't sound silly but don't bears have super sensitive noses like dogs? How would some potent mace or pepper spray affect a grizzly? Would that be like adding some Tabasco before the meal? I know that mailmen carry less powerful versions of pepper spray because the human rated stuff is so hard on them.

If that doesn't work, I voted for the 12 gauge loaded with solid copper slugs from Remington. http://www.remington.com/ammo/shotshell/pcs_sabsl.htm I would carry that on a sling and would probably keep a .44 Mag on my hip. Actually, I just though of something else... What about loading the first round with bird shot in a short barreled shotgun and going for a head shot? A grizzly would have a hell of a time attacking what it can't see. Then you can follow that up with the slugs.

I like the dog idea. I have an 85 lb. akita. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1611232#post1611232. Supposedly akitas were used for hunting bear. I'm sure it would take a pack of them to take down a grizzly but at least I would have advanced warning.

WildwhatatalltaleAlaska
oooo what about the one where the goldpanner feeds brownies and blackies in his cabin down by Seward and they behave more like dogs than bears?
or that one time we were chased up a tree by a 2500 lb muskrat?
and the 120 lb king salmon we fought on the kenai but didnt have a net big enough so we just 'let it go'.
almost forgot about that time we watched a pod of orcas kill a humpback by jumping out of the water and on the humpys back to break it.

heres a tip folks. if you come to alaska and wear all the tourist-trap-swag, expect to be fed lots of interesting stories. you're better off dressing like the locals and passing yourself off as a lifelong resident.

Griz Scenario

Nothing like stumbling across this thread just as I'm reading Cooper's Commentaries from Feb 2005:

I have admired the Co−pilot from its first appearance, and I still do. Unlike many other offerings, it does have an operational niche, which is personal short−range defense against heavy, dangerous animals in the most convenient package possible. For the Alaskan bush pilot and for the African PH it presents a well thought out answer to a specific problem.

... and passing yourself off as a lifelong resident.

Hey Spiff: Just out of idle curiousity, how long do you suppose that would take after the 'Jersey accent wears off?

Or, for that matter, a North Texas accent. :)

well its actually rather simple. dress like a slob, have your vehicle held together with duct tape, fishing lures and shotgun shells should be spilling out of your car when you open the door or tailgate, mumble something about how the natural gas pipeline should go through alaska not canada, toss in a few references to ANWR opening up, and unless you talk like that aussie whacko steve irwin, you'll fit right in.

I always hate to hear about a person that gets killed by a bear

I am glad that they always hunt the bear down and shoot the fuccer until its dead. my only fear in the woods is bears because they are so smart. everyone has a diff. personalility.

Never heard of a bear with rabies. Do they get rabies?
They're mammals. They can get rabies.

I have heard that a bears heart only beats about 6 times a minute. Is this true?

my only fear in the woods is bears because they are so smart.
You're lucky. I have bears, cougars, and the very rare wolf pack to worry about.

I have heard that a bears heart only beats about 6 times a minute. Is this true?

I don't think that would be right for normal metabolism, but it may be right for them during hibernation... will check on the ol' internet regarding Ursus Horribilis.

Added:
Ok, yep, check:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002236988_bears10m.html

and you will read the following:
An active bear has a heart rate of 80-90 beats a minute. During the winter, it drops as low as eight beats a minute.

Brahhaaa indeed

Hey "Wildalaska" I found the disk with the photo's and story on it you want to see the defleshed hiker and shots of the warden holding up the bear paw? Send me an email address! Its to bloody to put on a family site. Wild tail indeed, "What a maroon" as the Bugs would say! consider yourself "...scorned, distained and scourged". :mad:

I got to shoot a S&W 500 the other day and fired a few 440gr bullets through it. It was unreal! I believe that it would be worthy of putting a bear down. Saw one in the gun store yesterday with 4" barrel. That seems like it wouldn't be all that bad to carry when on foot.

Oh, I voted 12ga and .40/.45

So what's with the people voting .22 "to scare the bear"? I believe it's wishful thinking.

I know a couple of people in this area that fired hunting rifles over grizzlies heads, they just looked up, and went back to what they were doing. Or acted really annoyed.

Ever seen how fast a 1400 pound grizzly can close a 50 yard gap?

10 gauge with drum magazine! Or second best a 12 gauge. My reccomendation is don't use hollow point slugs you need the deep penetration on something with that mass. Or at least alternate between the 2 different rounds.

OK, it was a .338 mag in stead of a 375. I sit corrected.

Ya thats the story on that site but its not the orignal story....don't trust the internet.

Last edited:
.45-70 or bigger - the only sane answer for big brars

For Grizzlies, Brown Bear and Polar Bear, anyone who bets his/her life on any handgun is an insane fool, in my humble opinion.

If I were going into BIG bear country, I would carry a Marlin .45-70 lever gun stoked with Garrett "Hammerheads" for the bear and a Glock .45 for two-legged vermin.

Weight is a non-issue here when the alternative is being disemboweled by a Grizzly in a blind rage. The pain of carrying 3 or 4 extra pounds sure beats the pain of being eaten alive, don't you think??? :confused:

Back