Good general purpose revolver?

Dragline45 said:
Here is my general purpose revolver, Smith and Wesson 686+ 3 inch 7 shot .357 magnum. This is pretty much my do it all gun.

Just my $0.02, and a sidenote to the OP, but I specifically exclude the 5-shot SP101 and 7-shot 686+ from consideration as a "general purpose/do it all" gun, since they're lousy choices for competition, and have limited speedloader options to boot.

One might not think they're interested in competition, but the shooting sports are a popular aspect of gun ownership, and as valid an aspect of shooting as is SD/CCW. Plus, the OP indicated they're looking for a "pleasant range pistol", and fun at the range can lead to an interest in checking out a local match at some point.

Unlike 5- & 7-shot revolvers, 6-shot service-sized revolvers can do everything required of them, plus be used in competition. Even an 8-shot N-frame would be better than a 5- or 7-shot for the same reason, IMO.

... 6-shot service-sized revolvers can do everything required of them

Except, of course, for those who see the advantage of having an extra shot, offer a seventh round. Too, I like HKS speed-loaders and they make them for the Plus version.
It's good that we have choices. For those who plan on competing in events that require six-shot revolvers, there is the "regular" Model 686. For those that prefer having the same size revolver for use in self-defense but have another round on board and who do not intend on competing in sanctioned matches, there is the "Plus" version.
You pays your money; you makes your choice.

While kicking around Texas outdoors I carry a Mod 60-10 357 for Feral animals, bob cats, rabid animals, snakes, and two legged varmints.

When in Colorado Fly Fishing I carry the 629-5 Mountain Gun for bears, cats, angry Moose, feral animals, and any two legged varmints that get in my way. Loaded with 250gr HC Keith to just under max load.

Just my $0.02, and a sidenote to the OP, but I specifically exclude the 5-shot SP101 and 7-shot 686+ from consideration as a "general purpose/do it all" gun, since they're lousy choices for competition, and have limited speedloader options to boot.

One might not think they're interested in competition, but the shooting sports are a popular aspect of gun ownership, and as valid an aspect of shooting as is SD/CCW. Plus, the OP indicated they're looking for a "pleasant range pistol", and fun at the range can lead to an interest in checking out a local match at some point.

Unlike 5- & 7-shot revolvers, 6-shot service-sized revolvers can do everything required of them, plus be used in competition. Even an 8-shot N-frame would be better than a 5- or 7-shot for the same reason, IMO.

They may be lousy choices for competition, but a 3" 7 shot L frame is hard to beat as a general purpose revolver. The average gun owner does not compete, and the average gun owner will find that 7rds of .357 are more appealing to their needs than 6rds just so the gun can be used in competition. You say the 8 shot N frame is a better choice as a general purpose revolver, but competition aside I digress. The 3" L frame can fill the role as a service revolver, can be carried IWB with ease, and OWB even easier compared to an N frame which is heavier and beefier. Since you seem to compete, I can see your aversion to 7 shot revolvers, but for those of us who don't they make a great general purpose revolver.

I'll pile on and say a 4" Ruger GP-100. The .357 is a very versatile round. I can't stand the new S&W's with the idiot hole above the cylinder latch.

Now an older one is a different story.

I think the first response you got would be mine as well. A K frame S&W or even a Colt Police Positive or Official Police would be a great knock around revolver. Truth is the 38 Special will do about 90% of what most folks need a handgun to do. M10s abound.

In my opinion the best GP revolver for most folks is a matter of high quality of the gun first so you can shoot it a lot which is what makes it "General Purpose" in the first place. Next is the caliber.
Depending on where you live the caliber can change in some places the best GP caliber is going to be the little 22 LR
If you want more power I say got to one of 4, but before you do any of them get a reloading set-up. Reloading means you get to make the ammo you need for your purpose, and can afford to fire it. Shooting is what makes you a good shot. and the idea of a GP revolver is one that you shoot everything with. (in the areas you live, play or work)
So coming to calibers I recommend 357 mag (and therefore 38 special too) 41 mag, 44 mag (and therefore 44 special too) and 45 colt.
Caliber will revolve around your uses. Many if not most folks will find the 357/38 to be the best suited for them. Larger animals and the need for more power is not uncommon, but if I made a guess I'd say about 80% of the needs for a handgun in the USA can be covered very well with the 357 and f these 4 the 38/357 is the easiest to fire accurately and the one you can shoot the most for the least amount of money.

If you pair your gun with a good bullet mold, and you make bullets instead of buying them you will find you can shoot a LOT ore for the same amount of money.

Back